Sponsored

Why do you like or dislike Auto start stop (ESS)?

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nearly every argument against ESS is predicated on some misunderstood or bogus info. So I find myself not ever hearing a good argument against it. An example (not to pick on one person, most arguments against it are similarly misfounded), is the idea that the trans is "in gear" but there is no engine oil pressure. Well sure, but the torque converter and trans are also driven by oil pressure. So when it builds oil pressure to be "in gear" then so does the engine.
Here's a good argument...its annoying. I generally eliminate annoying things from my life and this was no exception. :D
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Nearly every argument against ESS is predicated on some misunderstood or bogus info. So I find myself not ever hearing a good argument against it. An example (not to pick on one person, most arguments against it are similarly misfounded), is the idea that the trans is "in gear" but there is no engine oil pressure. Well sure, but the torque converter and trans are also driven by oil pressure. So when it builds oil pressure to be "in gear" then so does the engine.
Interesting. Have you ever heard a compelling argument for it? It simply does not have any real reason to exist. In my opinion :)

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Have you ever heard a compelling argument for it? It simply does not have any real reason to exist. In my opinion :)
It exists because of government regulations. Using it allows FCA to sell a Jeep with a V6 in it. It does save fuel, if the engine is stopped for at least seven seconds. At least we have the option to disable it. When Trump leaves the White House, their next attempt will be to take away the option to disable and to have a V6.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t like it, even after trying to give it a chance. As an engineer, I really doubt there is a true net benefit. I don’t see any manufacturer doing this on there own as a competiti advantage. This is done because of arm twisting by the feds.

Mine has required service once and i have a new Service ESS message again after another 2k miles or so. They replaced both batteries last time. I wonder what this visit will involve. Just one more trip back for service on a POS feature I would never order when given a choice.

ESS can suck it.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It exists because of government regulations. Using it allows FCA to sell a Jeep with a V6 in it. It does save fuel, if the engine is stopped for at least seven seconds. At least we have the option to disable it. When Trump leaves the White House, their next attempt will be to take away the option to disable and to have a V6.
Yes, so It does serve no purpose for engine function, no real reason. ... When the fringe is gone yes changes in the new car market, sure enough, and the same choice to reform or be frail minded in industry leadership. They can do anything they want, hell make a V-12, but they have to pay for it, instead of keeping their profits. The rules don't say you can't. They say if you do this, then that. Well, give up your tee time and your gated community, but don't blame it on what is best for the oversll good of the nation. This whole argument that taxes, regulation are bad is midget compared to the strength of leading Americans who argue for actually paying ones way. But I moralize. Anyway, yes, agree it's going the way you said.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
EXACTLY!!! It's a Jeep, number 1, and number 2, it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I've never owned a vehicle with it before, and don't intend on owning another one (at least, one that I can't turn it off or disable it permanently). The Tazer JL Mini helps with that. I installed the Tazer, adjusted everything, reset it, turned off the ESS, and it is automatically turned off (as if I manually pushed the button each time) every time I crank the Jeep. Out of sight, out of mind. :like:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
EXACTLY!!! It's a Jeep, number 1, and number 2, it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I've never owned a vehicle with it before, and don't intend on owning another one (at least, one that I can't turn it off or disable it permanently).
I dunno man. We need to get right. All this BS backed up by BS. This nation hasn't been this full of shit since 'I can't believe it's not butter" came out. That's before your time. Any the fix is up to millennials. Godspeed to you!!!

Jeep Gladiator Why do you like or dislike Auto start stop (ESS)? DW0885

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dunno man. We need to get right. All this BS backed up by BS. This nation hasn't been this full of shit since 'I can't believe it's not butter" came out. That's before your time. Any the fix is up to millennials. Godspeed to you!!!
Oh no, I remember that stuff... I'm 34...

Also, I don't identify as "the M-word"... I grew up around older kids and Gen-X'ers, so I'm more like a Millennial with a Gen-X anarchist attitude. I'm old enough to have some wisdom, but anti-government, and pro-1A & 2A and pro-Constitution. I'm a mix of things that the likes of this world has never seen before... It typically scares people when I first meet them if politics gets brought up. Let's just say most people have never encountered a truly educated Sigma-Alpha. ;)

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Oh no, I remember that stuff... I'm 34...

Also, I don't identify as "the M-word"... I grew up around older kids and Gen-X'ers, so I'm more like a Millennial with a Gen-X anarchist attitude. I'm old enough to have some wisdom, but anti-government, and pro-1A & 2A and pro-Constitution. I'm a mix of things that the likes of this world has never seen before... It typically scares people when I first meet them if politics gets brought up. Let's just say most people have never encountered a truly educated Sigma-Alpha. ;)

This guy was Chrysler CEO. Says what's coming is a economic tsunami. The conversation would lead to bringing supply chain back home, resultant higher wages, thusly recreating the American middle class. All of which our liberal friends and our conservative friends have been saying we need but nobody was listening attentively. What happened was we got derailed into us vs them by the fringes on all sides. But when you do finally get old, if things are good, it'll be because your age group drives from center right. Here's the clip

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Mine has required service once and i have a new Service ESS message again after another 2k miles or so. They replaced both batteries last time. I wonder what this visit will involve. Just one more trip back for service <snip>
I would like to take this on a slight detour. Temporarily putting aside whether or not ESS saves gas or adds more wear. And keeping in mind I do not have my Gladiator yet.

Here's my question(s). Does having the second battery add redundancy in a positive way? When you manually start the vehicle, I assume that uses the main battery? Are the main battery and the ESS battery isolated from each other? So let us say for some reason, I run the main battery down, so it cannot produce enough juice to start. Does the ESS battery then provide that redundancy, allowing you to use it to start?

Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Feeling it, and hearing it is annoying. Maybe because I'm used to my wife's Hybrid Lexus. Never know it's doing it in that.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've never owned a vehicle with it before, and don't intend on owning another one (at least, one that I can't turn it off or disable it permanently).
It isn't going anywhere and the EPA incentivize automakers to use it. So unless you are going E-vehicle or never buying a new vehicle it is likely unavoidable. The incentives will continue to include an inability to permanently disable it, most likely. Unless you do what some of us have done and program it out of the system permanently.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It isn't going anywhere and the EPA incentivize automakers to use it. So unless you are going E-vehicle or never buying a new vehicle it is likely unavoidable. The incentives will continue to include an inability to permanently disable it, most likely. Unless you do what some of us have done and program it out of the system permanently.
How did you program it out if the system permanently? My Tazer keeps it turned off, but not aware of any tuners that allow full-disability in the ECM. I hope the next Tazer update allows a selection option for fully disabling it in the EVIC, like they do the TPMS system.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
How did you program it out if the system permanently? My Tazer keeps it turned off, but not aware of any tuners that allow full-disability in the ECM. I hope the next Tazer update allows a selection option for fully disabling it, like they do the TPMS system.
I should have said disable. Tazer does it but there's also an inline "chip" that just gives the button a memory....meaning you can leave it on or off permanently and it doesn't restart every time you turn the vehicle off/on.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I should have said disable. Tazer does it but there's also an inline "chip" that just gives the button a memory....meaning you can leave it on or off permanently and it doesn't restart every time you turn the vehicle off/on.
Copy that. That might be a cheaper option for folks. I like all the other features of the Tazer, as well as needed to adjust tire size. The high beams w/ fogs is another huge plus. So for me, it was worth the money.
Sponsored