Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This isn’t a delay in some parts getting shipped, it’s a complete lack there of. They haven’t been available... to anyone!
And vendors and suppliers also require PARTS - and engineering.
Did you know that Jeep postponed the 2021 Grand Cherokee platform and instead released the 2021 with the OLD platform - they are easily a year behind. If a big company like Jeep can't get the much-talked about, widely expected new platform in August but instead delayed it until at some point next year, you can imagine smaller suppliers are behind in engineering, design, parts, manufacturing. My example of parts is just a part of the reason you aren't getting a brake controller. You expect that's a PRIORITY for Jeep now? They have the steering issue - trouble getting THOSE parts, even bolts......... and a brake controller they they have to buy from another supplier - we don't know the story on this at all. For all we know the brake controller suppliers are having trouble with engineering, parts and supplies, staffing, or even the paperwork and legal side of things.
We can't blame Jeep as we have no clue what happened.
Maybe their initial contract fell through - and they had to let it out again.
Are you involved with contract things? I have been - in multiple companies. If they release a request for bids - that can take months, then there's a lot of back and forth. If one fell through, what happened? They go again, more months. OK, now Jeep specific specs and requirements. They aren't buying these off the shelf ready to go.
Again, maybe they found someone but that someone is too busy supplying existing contracts?
We just don't know.
covid has ALL business turned on its head.
Many are forced to work remotely - meet remotely...... everything gets delayed.
This isn't a Jeep internal part. They are at the mercy of outsiders, who are also at the mercy of those who make the parts for them, electronic engineers, etc.
Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
And vendors and suppliers also require PARTS - and engineering.
Did you know that Jeep postponed the 2021 Grand Cherokee platform and instead released the 2021 with the OLD platform - they are easily a year behind. If a big company like Jeep can't get the much-talked about, widely expected new platform in August but instead delayed it until at some point next year, you can imagine smaller suppliers are behind in engineering, design, parts, manufacturing. My example of parts is just a part of the reason you aren't getting a brake controller. You expect that's a PRIORITY for Jeep now? They have the steering issue - trouble getting THOSE parts, even bolts......... and a brake controller they they have to buy from another supplier - we don't know the story on this at all. For all we know the brake controller suppliers are having trouble with engineering, parts and supplies, staffing, or even the paperwork and legal side of things.
We can't blame Jeep as we have no clue what happened.
Maybe their initial contract fell through - and they had to let it out again.
Are you involved with contract things? I have been - in multiple companies. If they release a request for bids - that can take months, then there's a lot of back and forth. If one fell through, what happened? They go again, more months. OK, now Jeep specific specs and requirements. They aren't buying these off the shelf ready to go.
Again, maybe they found someone but that someone is too busy supplying existing contracts?
We just don't know.
covid has ALL business turned on its head.
Many are forced to work remotely - meet remotely...... everything gets delayed.
This isn't a Jeep internal part. They are at the mercy of outsiders, who are also at the mercy of those who make the parts for them, electronic engineers, etc.
Sorry, not buying it. 2020 gladiators were shipping in April 2019. Jeep has been advertising the tow capacity and the brake controller the whole time until recently. Now it appears the availability will be February 2021.

Let’s look at a timeline:
Nov 2018 official gladiator specs, tow capacity and brake controller info released

April 2019 first gladiators delivered

March/April 2020 COVID started to impact the economy

Feb 2021 expected availability of brake controller

COVID may have delayed things but this damn thing should have been packaged and ready a year before COVID hit when the first gladiators were delivered!!!

And YES it should totally be jeeps PRIORITY in getting these from the factory w brake controllers. I mean shit, they could strike up a deal w Redarc right now, and have a plug and play product. But for some unknown reason they are holding out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, not buying it. 2020 gladiators were shipping in April 2019. Jeep has been advertising the tow capacity and the brake controller the whole time until recently. Now it appears the availability will be February 2021.

Let’s look at a timeline:
Nov 2018 official gladiator specs, tow capacity and brake controller info released

April 2019 first gladiators delivered

March/April 2020 COVID started to impact the economy

Feb 2021 expected availability of brake controller

COVID may have delayed things but this damn thing should have been packaged and ready a year before COVID hit when the first gladiators were delivered!!!

And YES it should totally be jeeps PRIORITY in getting these from the factory w brake controllers. I mean shit, they could strike up a deal w Redarc right now, and have a plug and play product. But for some unknown reason they are holding out.
Brake controller has zip to do with advertised capacity. Where's that come from? My silverado had an advertised capacity above ANY JT and there wasn't a brake controller - the dealer installed one for me. Brake controller is - or was - typically an option. Not standard, not part of a tow package. Not with any truck I've bought.
Tow capacity is the truck, NOT the controller, and you don't have to have one actually - there are many preferences for other types, that's why they are OPTIONS on many trucks, not standard part of a tow package. Surge brakes, maybe someone want's a totally different type or style - these are options, not standard.

Uh, have you considered that Redarc can't supply the numbers needed?? They aren't a huge company and it's possible they have another company manufacture their controllers for them - or do they do it in-house? Either way - you must think of 10,000 a year compared with 30,000 a year if they sell to Jeep.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I don’t think it’s necessarily about being embarrassed, but concerned having people like me not believe anything they say or advertise.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my max tow, and the red arc elite pro works great, but how in the hell do you claim your towing capacity is over 7600 lbs and the dealer can’t even install a brake controller to get you there?

They made it a priority to get the TSB for the steering box, but they can’t figure out a simple brake controller for 2.5 years? Something is fishy with this and it doesn’t add up. It’s almost like they don’t want to take the liability of us towing up to the max recommendations with everything OEM from them (JT, tow package, brake controller). My dealer even said they couldn’t back any warranty claims or accidents with an aftermarket controller installed.

Can you imagine if the if Ford advertised their Factory mustang GT could do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds with an optional factory installed super charger, claiming best acceleration in its class? And then after 2.5 years never had it available (and still claimed it was the fastest in class even though the configuration wasn’t available). Then said you can achieve the results with an aftermarket supercharger but wouldn’t install it and it could/would void your warranty if you did install it?

This whole FCA Jeep controller thing is BS.

I guess technically FCA said you can pull 7k lbs, just never said anything about stopping them.

They better not deny claims based on this. I think they could have some seriouls issues on their hands if they tried to given they advertise these towing numbers but don't even offer a brake controller. I think they might have backed themselves in a corner here.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brake controller has zip to do with advertised capacity. Where's that come from? My silverado had an advertised capacity above ANY JT and there wasn't a brake controller - the dealer installed one for me. Brake controller is - or was - typically an option. Not standard, not part of a tow package. Not with any truck I've bought.
Tow capacity is the truck, NOT the controller, and you don't have to have one actually - there are many preferences for other types, that's why they are OPTIONS on many trucks, not standard part of a tow package. Surge brakes, maybe someone want's a totally different type or style - these are options, not standard.

Uh, have you considered that Redarc can't supply the numbers needed?? They aren't a huge company and it's possible they have another company manufacture their controllers for them - or do they do it in-house? Either way - you must think of 10,000 a year compared with 30,000 a year if they sell to Jeep.
Actually it does.... it varies by state. In Virginia you can’t tow over 3000 lbs without a brake controller. But wait, you can’t get a dealer to install one because they don’t have one available. You still can’t even get a brand new 2021 with one installed from the factory. The dealers refuse to to install an after market one, has anyone had the dealer install one yet? If you get an after market one and install it yourself or at another shop, per my dealer, they don’t cover and issues because it’s not OEM. No wrecks or electrical/failure covered.

So yes, technically you CANT get a Gladiator and tow more than 3000 lbs and be covered without a doubt, even though they are/have been advertising towing IS available over 7k.

So let’s be clear, Jeep is/was advertising you can tow over 7k, but you can’t get one from Jeep or the dealer that way. The difference in your case is the dealer DID install one for your Chevy. Your right though Jeep should have acted like Chevy did and have aftermarket ones at the dealer, and should be able to install them. But they have chosen NOT to.

Not sure why you are making a lot of protective assumptions for a company that has been knowing misleading their customers.

Once again I love my Jeep, but Jeep should have owned this early on and been transparent about it.

2DF8A9C0-C73B-4B96-94AE-AB6257607AC1.jpeg

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Does your build sheet also have the "Selectable Tire Fill Alert" on it? I'm also anxiously awaiting to find out if it's going to be available as a software update on my earlier Rubicon Launch. The brake controller as well as the STFA are both very much needed. Can't imagine why the availability is so delayed. Any updates are appreciated.
You might want to search around for this. I swear I read that it’s available for all rubicon via a Uconnect software update at the dealer. That update would be free as long as you’re under warranty.

Check the Jeep Gladiator Facebook page too.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@Daddy's Toy I am dumb, didn’t bother to look at the fact your post was from Sept 2019!

Has anyone received their brake controller yet? I ordered mine from BAM Wholesale parts a few months back when they got the notification for Oct/Nov shipping. I’m going to reach out and see where I am on that list.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess technically FCA said you can pull 7k lbs, just never said anything about stopping them.

They better not deny claims based on this. I think they could have some seriouls issues on their hands if they tried to given they advertise these towing numbers but don't even offer a brake controller. I think they might have backed themselves in a corner here.
Actually they did say something about stopping. Part of the towing capacity test is about being able to stop. Infact I would say the least best thing the gladiator does with the 3.6 is pull. It tows, rides and stops (with aftermarket brake controller) great.

Well the local dealers here in Richmond WONT install an aftermarket brake controller, and why would they insure or cover under warranty after market parts? Especially if they didn’t install them?

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/

Look at the part under “stop it” for braking.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Daddy's Toy I am dumb, didn’t bother to look at the fact your post was from Sept 2019!

Has anyone received their brake controller yet? I ordered mine from BAM Wholesale parts a few months back when they got the notification for Oct/Nov shipping. I’m going to reach out and see where I am on that list.
Jeep hasn’t shipped any brake controllers yet, even to dealers. Should have been ready April of 2019, but now they are saying Feb 2021, which is likely incorrect because they have already change that date like 5 times, 2 of those being even before COVID hit.

Your not going to be on a list... they are going to say unavailable or back ordered.

My guess is 2021 fall if lucky. Especially since flu season, another peak in COVID and all this drama with the politics is all going to happen at the same time this fall.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
You don't need a controller if your trailer is equipped with surge brakes.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't need a controller if your trailer is equipped with surge brakes.
True, but most travel trailer, new boats and new trailers with tandem axels only offer electric brakes. Some boat trailers in the 3k lb range will have surge brakes, but for heavier loads aren’t recommended because lack of control or adjustability. Surge brakes also have big issues on steep inclines or declines. My old wakeboard boat had surge brakes and they were a pain the butt going down/up steep hills. The trailer would engage full brakes when I barely tapped the brakes downhill. It was scary. That boat was only 4000/4500 and I was towing with a 5.7 tundra. Electric brakes are more useable, in all applications, thus are becoming the standard.

Last edited:

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep hasn’t shipped any brake controllers yet, even to dealers. Should have been ready April of 2019, but now they are saying Feb 2021, which is likely incorrect because they have already change that date like 5 times, 2 of those being even before COVID hit.

Your not going to be on a list... they are going to say unavailable or back ordered.

My guess is 2021 fall if lucky. Especially since flu season, another peak in COVID and all this drama with the politics is all going to happen at the same time this fall.
Jesus I can smell your negativity from accross the internet. I know you’re annoyed but come on man. Covid screwed a ton of plans up for many.

Yes I am on the list at BAM. They already emailed back and confirmed that. As they arrive (which they will at some point) they will ship them out in the order they received orders. If you’re thinking that ain’t gonna happen then good luck finding one when they do become available! As for the release date, that’s TBD. Jeep has some work to do...

I just got some info on the rationale for the delay. Spoke to my jeep insider who manages a team at Jeep HQ in the planning dept. and this is what he just told me:

“It’s still in plan I believe. The original supplier for it went under because of covid shutdowns so Jeep is having to resource with a new supplier.”

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jesus I can smell your negativity from accross the internet. I know you’re annoyed but come on man. Covid screwed a ton of plans up for many.

Yes I am on the list at BAM. They already emailed back and confirmed that. As they arrive (which they will at some point) they will ship them out in the order they received orders. If you’re thinking that ain’t gonna happen then good luck finding one when they do become available! As for the release date, that’s TBD. Jeep has some work to do...

I just got some info on the rationale for the delay. Spoke to my jeep insider who manages a team at Jeep HQ in the planning dept. and this is what he just told me:

“It’s still in plan I believe. The original supplier for it went under because of covid shutdowns so Jeep is having to resource with a new supplier.”
Bull crap. Gladiators were shipped one year prior COVID.... Not an excuse. This arrangement with a supplier should have been done 2 years prior to COVID.

That response is a poor cop-out!

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Any discussion of COVID-19 does not account for the time between November 29, 2018 (The date shown on my picture of the announced Mopar trailer brake controller at the LA auto show unveiling ) and the first Covid case in early 2020. Whatever the excuse is, Covid has been irrelevant for most of the time frame in question.

Right now COVID-19 is a convenient excuse for those who have no perspective of the history of this issue.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
November 29, 2018. Los Angeles. I know there are many on this forum who remember that day.!!

“Best in class towing.… The available trailer brake controller will… “

Yes. Sign me up.........… Hello?
Jeep Gladiator Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING 1602348149102
Sponsored