FAD Delete

hightide

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave, LBZ Duramax
With the catastrophic failures is it breaking the tube or is the tube pulling out of the FAD? If it's pulling out, welding around it might be a solution like what is commonly done on the ford 8.8 to keep it's tubes from spinning

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
The problem with welding on an axle tube is it is tricky to keep it square.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
With the catastrophic failures is it breaking the tube or is the tube pulling out of the FAD? If it's pulling out, welding around it might be a solution like what is commonly done on the ford 8.8 to keep it's tubes from spinning
It's the FAD casting, it's the weak link in the assembly. It's about 1/4" thick and has bolt holes though it to further weaken it. I would bet, if you looked at the broken parts from the example above the crack would run through a bolt hole.

My friend had a snapped D44 HD ruby front axle at the shop from a glad that hit a concrete divider on the passenger side at 65 mph. The axle tubes, dif housing and ball joint mounts were all fine. The FAD cracked in half along a bolt line and the axle shaft mating ends at the FAD were marred up from rapid separation. Even the aluminum knuckle didn't look to bad and had a 50/50 shot of being fine.

IMO the FAD housing is the weak part, maybe a truss over FAD or the FAD internal assembly being removed and a 3/8" metal plate bolted over the FAD opening may added strength.

I may try to screw with the busted axle and cut the housing off and make a 10 mm thick steel sleeve to rejoin the 2 tubes together.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
yes, lots of FAD housings crack when pushed hard. Plenty of youtube videos.
Sponsored