Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have 35's. But I just bought a set of Rubicon axles with 5.13 gears. I'm just wanting to build them up a little before I install them. With the 5.13's I can easily go up to 37's if I want but I wouldn't ever go bigger than that.
That’s exactly what I have. I upgraded my stock rubicon axles to 5.13:1 and added the RCV’s in the front. It’s a fantastic crawler, and tows our RTT trailer with no issue. I also swapped the rear driveshaft and have adjustable control arms. And steering upgrades, and track bars, and all the stuff you’ll likely do. :) it is the way.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I have 35's. But I just bought a set of Rubicon axles with 5.13 gears. I'm just wanting to build them up a little before I install them. With the 5.13's I can easily go up to 37's if I want but I wouldn't ever go bigger than that.
RCVs are definitely the way to go. I wheeled pretty hard for 3 years on 37s and stock shafts, and I did break front axle u-joints twice.

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That’s exactly what I have. I upgraded my stock rubicon axles to 5.13:1 and added the RCV’s in the front. It’s a fantastic crawler, and tows our RTT trailer with no issue. I also swapped the rear driveshaft and have adjustable control arms. And steering upgrades, and track bars, and all the stuff you’ll likely do. :) it is the way.
Oh yeah, the money pit has me behaving badly. Lol. Already ordered Rock Jock tie rod, and drag bar. Looking at Ried knuckles and RCV shafts. They're coming next. I already have a Core 4x4 track bar installed.

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
RCVs are definitely the way to go. I wheeled pretty hard for 3 years on 37s and stockshafts, and I did break front axle u-joints twice.
Yeah the u-joints need to be gone. I WILL end up breaking one.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah, the money pit has me behaving badly. Lol. Already ordered Rock Jock tie rod, and drag bar. Looking at Ried knuckles and RCV shafts. They're coming next. I already have a Core 4x4 track bar installed.
Damn you. You reminded me about knuckles. Jerk. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That will definitely beef it up. I'm considering that as well although as previously stated, I don't wheel it that hard.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
That will definitely beef it up. I'm considering that as well although as previously stated, I don't wheel it that hard.
I just want to know I have some added support if I see a trail I’d like to tackle 🤣

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I just want to know I have some added support if I see a trail I’d like to tackle 🤣
You never know what you might want to tackle as you're headed down the road. Gotta be ready!!

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You never know what you might want to tackle as you're headed down the road. Gotta be ready!!
The more skids you have, the more you’ll try.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon front locker I got was due to 40" tires and snapping front axle at the FAD. :like:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon front locker I got was due to 40" tires and snapping front axle at the FAD. :like:
Yeah. I put RCV’s in when I went to 37’s. 40’s would have killed it for sure with stock shafts.

Hoss

First Name
Hollis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive manufacturing
Pardon my ignorance here… But does FAD mean something other than front axle differential?

Because I am just highly confused as to how or why anyone would delete the front diff lol.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Pardon my ignorance here… But does FAD mean something other than front axle differential?

Because I am just highly confused as to how or why anyone would delete the front diff lol.
Front axle disconnect. There’s a sleeve that slides into place to engage or disengage the axle shafts.
Sponsored