Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Iā€™m sorry for all your trouble. Iā€™ve posted on FB their failings.

I hope it all gets worked out.

Boycotting of AMSOIL seems like a good step to punish a company who wonā€™t stand up for their customers.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
if you still have your lawyer on call, you may want them to rewrite the letter using accepted legal language that can then serve as a fall back and paper trail if further legal course is needed. It will serve to remove any emotion that may be conveyed and help stick to the facts and clearly identify what you are requesting from receiver of the said letter.

Unfortunately you can't write a letter like you would to your friend when dealing with legal implications.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The MM act does not apply in Canada.
Yes, that's true - but at the same time, as you've seen AMSOIL say, that you can still use any oil you want and use any oil change interval you want because that act says so......... The act doesn't apply to you (sadly) but their claims that you can use any brand and don't have to follow their instructions or recommendations cross all borders.

(I'm also a little baffled by why a company like that doesn't go for all of the ratings and certifications - it's not that expensive, honestly. One big sale and they've got the cost covered for that particular oil. It's even more critical in the EU and other places. Oh, and according to API, for engine oil testing - API or the labs they use BUY the oil off the shelf, or have people represent them and go get it from bulk supplies. It's not furnished by the oil company. I'm sure that's to ensure a proper test of what consumers actually get and not something the company dresses up to pass tests.)

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Yes, that's true - but at the same time, as you've seen AMSOIL say, that you can still use any oil you want and use any oil change interval you want because that act says so......... The act doesn't apply to you (sadly) but their claims that you can use any brand and don't have to follow their instructions or recommendations cross all borders.

(I'm also a little baffled by why a company like that doesn't go for all of the ratings and certifications - it's not that expensive, honestly. One big sale and they've got the cost covered for that particular oil. It's even more critical in the EU and other places. Oh, and according to API, for engine oil testing - API or the labs they use BUY the oil off the shelf, or have people represent them and go get it from bulk supplies. It's not furnished by the oil company. I'm sure that's to ensure a proper test of what consumers actually get and not something the company dresses up to pass tests.)
It seems shady when a company as big as AMSOIL wonā€™t pony up $5k for the certs. Thatā€™s pocket change to them.

What are they hiding?

Heck, even $50k would be pocket change to them. They are a multimillion dollar company.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I doubt you can leverage this the way you are trying.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I applaud the level of detail you're recording in reference to this. You've made some great and solid points against AMSOIL. However at this point, I would suggest 2 things:
  1. Retain a lawyer for all communications with both Jeep and AMSOIL. As mentioned before, you need to use the right language and present the evidence in the right way to get any traction beyond this point. Don't sabotage yourself.
  2. If you intend to pursue this legally, I would recommend not posting any further until it is settled. Your posts could potentially be used against you to undermine your claims, or worse, file a countersuit.
I'm 100% with you on this. You're at the edge of some very nasty waters, and now is the time to protect yourself if you're going to wade into them.

Now, moving past that, consider that these excerpts from AMSOIL's warranty is what you're going to be fighting:

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1657221290767

It's going to be a rough road ahead no matter if you go after AMSOIL or Jeep.

In the end, I think that everyone needs to understand that AMSOIL refuses to get certified and won't cover a mechanical breakdown. They intentionally make this vague and hard to understand so you'll buy their product regardless. Their "warranty claims" are nothing more than a finger pointing back at the OEM saying "you should go after them based on this Act". They claim it's got a warranty on it because they expect you to use the OEM's coverage. They have none of their own. They do not warranty your equipment. They only warranty their oil, and even then only if you can prove beyond a doubt and provide acceptable samples.

You'd have to prove to them that their oil was defective, that you used the exact oil your equipment needed as specified by the OEM (which, since they refuse to get certified, is always going to be a "no"), and that their oil was directly responsible for the failure. Oh, and you must provide any piece of equipment or oil sample upon request, no matter what, or the warranty doesn't apply. Essentially since they aren't the OEM, they can do the exact opposite of the Magnuson-Moss Act in terms of denying any responsibility or coverage.

It is deceptive, yes, but they're covered legally and the marketing works. "The Consumer is solely responsible for determining a product's...fitness...and assumes all risks and liabilites...". After the giant "WARRANTY SECURE" banner on their page, that's some pretty stinky garbage hiding underneath it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I have to apologizeā€¦ I snapped and had an extreme emotional moment and I lashed out. I lost my sister I was close with on April 6 and this whole situation has robbed me of what little time we had left to spend with her. Itā€™s not FCAā€™s or AMSOILā€™s faultā€¦bad timing and no time to grieve

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I have to apologizeā€¦ I snapped and had an extreme emotional moment and I lashed out. I lost my sister I was close with on April 6 and this whole situation has robbed me of what little time we had left to spend with her. Itā€™s not FCAā€™s or AMSOILā€™s faultā€¦bad timing and no time to grieve
I'm sorry to hear that Kevin. No apology necessary. In fact, I find you've been very logical throughout this process, and no matter the result, you've provided some extremely valuable information to the community. I for one am glad to have heard your story.

I hope everything gets resolved one way or the other for you. The community will always have your back.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
did this whine sound like a power steering whine? I can hear on on mine when i turn but its difficult to pinpoint. I do get slight shudders from time to time from the throttle and just assumed it is the "computer throttle" lag. Now i am worried LOL

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Power steering whine will vary with turning the wheel, especially when stopped because of the increased pressure needed. The sound would vary a bit with PS.
Transmission whine, at least on earlier transmissions, would sound like it was closer to you (yeah, it's right by your feet) and not at the front of the engine bay. It should be louder and vary with engine speed. The PS is electric so won't change frequency with engine speed like a transmission pump whine.

If a person wonders about their PS pump - they can use JSCAN to operate it and check it.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
did this whine sound like a power steering whine? I can hear on on mine when i turn but its difficult to pinpoint. I do get slight shudders from time to time from the throttle and just assumed it is the "computer throttle" lag. Now i am worried LOL
The whine I experienced at first was doing a highway trip and started hearing it at highway speeds. After about 4000 kms further I could hear it parked, with engine running. Not touching the wheel, rev the rpmā€™s, whine would follow.

After dealership had a stab at it and looked at everything but the transmission, told me to monitor it. I then got it home, had my son on the throttle and I crawled under and stuck a stethoscope at the pan and as my son manipulated the RPMā€™s, the scope just screamed in my ears from middle to front of pan.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PUBLIC LETTER TO AMSOIL

ZF Manufacture voids my transmission warranty for using AMSOIL

Hello ****, I am sure youā€™ve been caught up to speed with FCA voiding my transmission warranty after FCA engineers confirmed with the ZF manufacturer that ZF does not approve of the transmission specifications AMSOIL publishes therefore AMSOIL is not in compliance and AMSOIL lost my warranty.

This is not about my transmission malfunction, this is about AMSOIL publishing a data sheet stating ā€˜use AMSOIL if the below specifications are requiredā€™ and that not only confirming with my rep but also rep confirmed with AMSOIL tech support, along with provided AMSOIL data sheet confirming the Fuel-Efficient ATF was in compliance and safe to use in my 850RE 8 speed auto but said specification numbers should not have been posted if there was certainty the ZF manufacturer was not on board and user of said oil would void my warranty. Your data sheet also fails to provide a disclaimer that the use of this oil for the specifications I required would void my warranty, because had there been, I would not have used it and I would have stuck with the factory ZF Mopar 8/9 Speed ATF oil and had the transmission replaced under my secured warranty back in January 2022.

AMSOIL owes me a transmission because AMSOIL lost my warranty and did not have the authorization of the ZF manufacturer to use your oil. Also, AMSOIL can not claim ā€œwarranty secureā€ and then walk away from this. AMSOIL may not have caused the destruction to my transmission but they destroyed my warranty and this corporation needs to accept my filing a claim to replace the transmission.

This story is already causing a stir publicly in Canada and the US and itā€™s not my fault AMSOIL made the decisions they did to publish a deceptive data sheet stopping short of full disclosure cautions to the public consumer and walking away from my case to have me fight this on my own and defend AMSOIL.

I await your responsible response.
Kevin
The staff and management at US AMSOIL that was directly speaking, emailing and instructing me for all these months are now silent. Thereā€™s been no response to the attached email.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The staff and management at US AMSOIL that was directly speaking, emailing and instructing me for all these months are now silent. Thereā€™s been no response to the attached email.
I am sure their legal team has advised them to shut up making any more statements since everything is being publicized.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
The whine I experienced at first was doing a highway trip and started hearing it at highway speeds. After about 4000 kms further I could hear it parked, with engine running. Not touching the wheel, rev the rpmā€™s, whine would follow.

After dealership had a stab at it and looked at everything but the transmission, told me to monitor it. I then got it home, had my son on the throttle and I crawled under and stuck a stethoscope at the pan and as my son manipulated the RPMā€™s, the scope just screamed in my ears from middle to front of pan.
My exhaust is to loud to hear anything on the freeway hahahaaha
Sponsored