Sponsored

First Impression of Door and Top Removal - EASY!

orthobill13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CEO
We owned a JK before the JT. The first time trying to remove the doors on the JK was really tough. They were a bit corroded (so it seemed) and were really difficult to remove. The weight of the front doors also was surprisingly heavy, manageable but heavy.

I took all doors and hardtop off yesterday, and I can say it is easier than the JK. The entire process took about 25 minutes.

Doors - they are lite. Not sure that means less safe which is a bit of a concern I suppose. However, relative to removal they came off with no issues. I did notice what I think is an improvement. The top hinge bolt on the door seems a little longer than the bottom. When it comes time to put them back on, I believe you will be able to just start the top pin and still be able to align the bottom. Nice. The front wiring harness removal is better. There is a flip up release which pushes the quick connect down and you don't have to pull to remove the quick connect. Also nice. The rear door wiring harness was easy to disengage as well. Covers all snapped back in place with no issues. All in all, some nice small features that demonstrate some good engineering.

Top - the freedom panels are easier to move the twist locks. The bag with the instructions and foam bottom insert are also well done. Makes a very secure fit in the bag. The read part of the roof was very easy to remove. 8 bolts no problem. I will say the wire harness connection for rear window defrost was difficult to disengage. Wonder if I can put just a little something on the harness to make it easier to attach and come apart. I was able to lift the top off by myself in a couple of steps. First lifted the top and laid it upright in the bed on a blanket. Then got down and pulled the blanket with the top near the back and was able to lift it to the floor. I am not sure this is advisable, but I tried it once to see. I don't think I would try putting it on by myself. I am sure if absolutely necessary you could, but much easier with two people.

Conclusions - just the little things that make it better are all a nice touch! Lite, easy, intuitive. Well done Jeep!!

IMG_4748.JPG
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
We owned a JK before the JT. The first time trying to remove the doors on the JK was really tough. They were a bit corroded (so it seemed) and were really difficult to remove. The weight of the front doors also was surprisingly heavy, manageable but heavy.

I took all doors and hardtop off yesterday, and I can say it is easier than the JK. The entire process took about 25 minutes.

Doors - they are light. Not sure that means less safe which is a bit of a concern I suppose. However, relative to removal they came off with no issues. I did notice what I think is an improvement. The top hinge bolt on the door seems a little longer than the bottom. When it comes time to put them back on, I believe you will be able to just start the top pin and still be able to align the bottom. Nice. The front wiring harness removal is better. There is a flip up release which pushes the quick connect down and you don't have to pull to remove the quick connect. Also nice. The rear door wiring harness was easy to disengage as well. Covers all snapped back in place with no issues. All in all, some nice small features that demonstrate some good engineering.

Top - the freedom panels are easier to move the twist locks. The bag with the instructions and foam bottom insert are also well done. Makes a very secure fit in the bag. The rear part of the roof was very easy to remove. 8 bolts no problem. I will say the wire harness connection for rear window defrost was difficult to disengage. Wonder if I can put just a little something on the harness to make it easier to attach and come apart. I was able to lift the top off by myself in a couple of steps. First lifted the top and laid it upright in the bed on a blanket. Then got down and pulled the blanket with the top near the back and was able to lift it to the floor. I am not sure this is advisable, but I tried it once to see. I don't think I would try putting it on by myself. I am sure if absolutely necessary you could, but much easier with two people.

Conclusions - just the little things that make it better are all a nice touch! Light, easy, intuitive. Well done Jeep!!

Jeep Gladiator First Impression of Door and Top Removal - EASY! IMG_4748.JPG
Thanks for that summary! I look forward to taking mine off soon.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Highly recommend Delrin door bushings. Eliminates metal on metal and keeps it from corroding and bright difficult in the future.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I still have my JK and man the doors are SOOOO much lighter. Having space for 8 doors on the wall and 2 tops is another problem.

top.jpg

Art LeDoux

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Union Electrician
I took mine off today. Took one hour for all the doors, complete roof and install mirrors

Sponsored

OffRoadHippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Gobi
Occupation
Wanderlust
First time Jeep owner here but agree with you about how easy they have made it to go naked. Took everything off this weekend and got way more compliments than I ever do with doors and top on lol.

I bought these door hinge pin guides. They are a low cost solution to removing the doors. I basically added these and got rid if the door bolts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B085T31Q5D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Deleted member 24880

took my doors off this weekend and agree it’s not very hard. Now tonight when I put them back on that was a different story. I fought those damn bolt/screws/bushings that hold the doors on like crazy. Managed to get 7 of the 8 tight and flush with the hinge but the one was damn bitch. I tried it on multiple different pins and it seemed to get stuck every time it got to the thicker neck area of the bushing. I managed to get it where I’m satisfied but ended up scratching the paint a tad. Do I even need those damn thing? Any door rattle with the pin guides listed above? Thanks!!!

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
I had my door bolts off week two that I had her and they aren’t going back on. I got some door pin guides that need to go on. No rattling and I can have all four doors off in about 5 minutes if I want. Using a little impact with the door stop speeds everything up quite a bit.

rcwhat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave
I had my door bolts off week two that I had her and they aren’t going back on. I got some door pin guides that need to go on. No rattling and I can have all four doors off in about 5 minutes if I want. Using a little impact with the door stop speeds everything up quite a bit.
You don’t need to re-attach the door stop if you’re using the fabric straps as well. I leave my unbolted and pushed into the door. Only thing I need to do is unplug the electrical connector and unhook the door strap. Boom, 15seconds and the door is off.
Sponsored