Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thank you! Of course, I’d be thrilled if payload/towing were greater. But, for me it’ll do just fine. It’s a fun and cool daily driver and if I need to pull a small trailer, etc I will be just fine. However, I do understand the let down others feel. Maybe with Gladiator generation 2 they will be able to engineer around this limitation.
Yeah I gotcha'. Some guys aren't worried about hauling and towing and so this works perfect. It really is an awesome truck.

For the guys who do haul and tow, I don't think Jeep can work around this issue. As you see, they've already increased the GVWR by 150 lbs. to try and salvage a little payload. And still, with the massive weight of the Rubicon EcoDiesel Gladiator there just isn't any more wiggle room. That's probably a 5,400 lb. truck. To put it in perspective, my 2020 Ram Crew Cab North Edition EcoDiesel only weighs 5,500 lbs. (but the GVWR is 7,200). We tend to think of diesels as work horses, but unfortunately the GVWR on the JT is going to prevent this diesel from ever being worked hard.

Anyhow, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sweet truck. Just wanted to mention the payload as an FYI to other guys.
Sponsored

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
THat annoying buzzing after turn it off is probably the fuel pump. My diesel canyon did it prior to starting & after shutting it down. I shouldn't read this thread any longer...I miss that engine and I love my Gladi....must resist wanting the Eco Gladi, LOL!

Congrats on your Jeep, smiles per mile for sure!

Predator31

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Ecodiesel, 2019 KLT 3.2
Occupation
Engineer
You're nearby. I'm in Huntsville still waiting on Landers to get my JTRD in. At least its built now awaiting shipment. Ordered 7/3. I'm very much looking forward to it and good to hear good first impressions from a local. Been using a 2016 Ram limited ecodiesel for the past couple of years waiting for the gladiator diesel. Love the motor and all in it so should be good.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
That's a GORGEOUS truck. Congrats!

But, it confirms our fears. 932 lbs. of payload is PATHETIC. Let's say you have a family of 4 and you all combined weigh 700 lbs. That leaves you 232 lbs. You couldn't even put a youth ATV in the bed. Your towing will be limited to 1,500 to 2,000 lbs. depending on your tongue weight. That's just useless as a pickup truck. At that point a guy might as well go Wrangler and save the money.

Sad... very sad. Guys were really hoping for a mid-size diesel truck that could do some work.
Exact reason I hit the brakes on ordering a diesel JTR.
932lbs payload
-400lb tongue weight of small offroad camper
-300lb wife & I combined
-150lbs (2 dogs)
-100lbs winch & plate
which puts me over already w/ no kid that the wife is pushing for, no carseat, no diaper bag, no larger spare tire, nothing in the truck bed etc..

Sky Soldier

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon current, sold: 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 2007 JKU Sahara, 1995 2dr Sport, 1979 CJ7 AMC 304
Occupation
Retired
The diesel’s limitations regulate its use. A high mpg grocery getter. I do like the mpg, but love my tried and true Pentastar because of the towing capacity and payload.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Exact reason I hit the brakes on ordering a diesel JTR.
932lbs payload
-400lb tongue weight of small offroad camper
-300lb wife & I combined
-150lbs (2 dogs)
-100lbs winch & plate
which puts me over already w/ no kid that the wife is pushing for, no carseat, no diaper bag, no larger spare tire, nothing in the truck bed etc..
Not that I am trying to sell you on the diesel and not that you would do this, but if that weight for the dogs, diaper bag etc. was able to be put in the trailer and assuming your already under the GVW, could you transfer the weight to the trailer? Again not that you would , but if the dogs/diaper bag were other items like camping gear, generator etc. that you would have had in the truck bed? That would keep you under on the jeep and still under the GVW if the trailer? Again, not that you would do this , just looking for your input? Thanks!

OP
OP
JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
You're nearby. I'm in Huntsville still waiting on Landers to get my JTRD in. At least its built now awaiting shipment. Ordered 7/3. I'm very much looking forward to it and good to hear good first impressions from a local. Been using a 2016 Ram limited ecodiesel for the past couple of years waiting for the gladiator diesel. Love the motor and all in it so should be good.
Yep same area. I love the diesel. You will be very happy!

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
The diesel’s limitations regulate its use. A high mpg grocery getter. I do like the mpg, but love my tried and true Pentastar because of the towing capacity and payload.
I keep making my mind up that I am 100% sold on the eco diesel then I read threads like this and I'm back to gas.

I personally wouldn't go Rubicon with the ED. I'd either to Willy's sport or Sport S.

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
I couldn't be more thrilled with the folks whining about payload/towing. Means I get to keep the fun for myself and it'll be more of a collector's item if/when I'm ready to sell.

Diaper bags ain't that heavy, bro!

And in the 16 years I've driven my LJ, I can count the times I've even looked at the payload/towing sticker before hauling/towing something on exactly zero fingers. Which would be the same number of times anybody on this forum has gotten a ticket for overloading their GVWR.

Bottom line: you chose a different truck, why are you here whining about the JT payload? I'm no shrink, but it may be a bit of envy... I'm certainly not in any RAM forums saying how much I'm glad I didn't get a RAM because the (idk) approach angle sucks?

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Ok, that post was maybe a little over the top. But seriously, our over-litigious society forces manufacturers to maintain these number low, because people don't drive with common sense any more.

Sponsored

Sky Soldier

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon current, sold: 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 2007 JKU Sahara, 1995 2dr Sport, 1979 CJ7 AMC 304
Occupation
Retired
I keep making my mind up that I am 100% sold on the eco diesel then I read threads like this and I'm back to gas.

I personally wouldn't go Rubicon with the ED. I'd either to Willy's sport or Sport S.
The new 8 speed auto tranny is bulletproof. It is very easy to use - engage the manual mode by pushing the floor shifter to the left and pulling back and forth for the right gear. I love it. Way better than the 6 speed with clutch.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not that I am trying to sell you on the diesel and not that you would do this, but if that weight for the dogs, diaper bag etc. was able to be put in the trailer and assuming your already under the GVW, could you transfer the weight to the trailer? Again not that you would , but if the dogs/diaper bag were other items like camping gear, generator etc. that you would have had in the truck bed? That would keep you under on the jeep and still under the GVW if the trailer? Again, not that you would do this , just looking for your input? Thanks!
I was just using the diaper bag as an example because a kid may be in the future and anything that comes along with that. Trailer's GVWR is 3525lbs, I'm at 3395lbs loaded (includes all gear, 40-gal of water, 3-gal of diesel clothing & food for 7-8 days), trailer's dry weight is 2100lbs.

Right now, the only things I stick in my truck bed of my f150 is Honda 2200 generator when going to be out for more than 6-7 days (unfortunately, it doesn't fit in the camper's storage compartments), toolbag (would obviously need to downsize and bring minimum tools with me and pack into camper), extra vehicle fluids & a bear-resistant cooler if going into grizzly country (this will not fit into camper storage either).

I apologize for delaying the OP's thread, loving the white JTR and it's exactly how I'd order it.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't be more thrilled with the folks whining about payload/towing. Means I get to keep the fun for myself and it'll be more of a collector's item if/when I'm ready to sell.

Diaper bags ain't that heavy, bro!

And in the 16 years I've driven my LJ, I can count the times I've even looked at the payload/towing sticker before hauling/towing something on exactly zero fingers. Which would be the same number of times anybody on this forum has gotten a ticket for overloading their GVWR.

Bottom line: you chose a different truck, why are you here whining about the JT payload? I'm no shrink, but it may be a bit of envy... I'm certainly not in any RAM forums saying how much I'm glad I didn't get a RAM because the (idk) approach angle sucks?
Do you tow at 6k-12k' elevation 99% of the time? If not, then it's irrelevant. My wife has the 3.6 w/ 8speed and I can't wait to get rid of it, which is why I was exploring the EcoDiesel but then this whole payload thing came into play. And I definitely don't tow w/ my LJ considering the 4.0 w/ the auto 4speed needed a turbo just to make it bearable to get to/from work.

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The new 8 speed auto tranny is bulletproof. It is very easy to use - engage the manual mode by pushing the floor shifter to the left and pulling back and forth for the right gear. I love it. Way better than the 6 speed with clutch.

Zf maybe , Zf copy made with fiat sourced parts , not so sure . Do agree, both definitely better then the manual .

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
I was just using the diaper bag as an example because a kid may be in the future and anything that comes along with that. Trailer's GVWR is 3525lbs, I'm at 3395lbs loaded (includes all gear, 40-gal of water, 3-gal of diesel clothing & food for 7-8 days), trailer's dry weight is 2100lbs.

Right now, the only things I stick in my truck bed of my f150 is Honda 2200 generator when going to be out for more than 6-7 days (unfortunately, it doesn't fit in the camper's storage compartments), toolbag (would obviously need to downsize and bring minimum tools with me and pack into camper), extra vehicle fluids & a bear-resistant cooler if going into grizzly country (this will not fit into camper storage either).

I apologize for delaying the OP's thread, loving the white JTR and it's exactly how I'd order it.
Yes i totally understand the diaper quote. LOL. I have 3 boys ! Thanks and appreciate the input!
Sponsored