First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Don't forget to thank all the taxpayers for funding your purchase.
The rebates are all on your own taxes, no one else's. If you don't pay enough in taxes to cover the total you get as much as you put in back for that year and no more.

The only person he has to thank is himself for paying enough in taxes to get $10k back
Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
The rebates are all on your own taxes, no one else's. If you don't pay enough in taxes to cover the total you get as much as you put in back for that year and no more.

The only person he has to thank is himself for paying enough in taxes to get $10k back
The money doesn't appear or disappear. It all comes from Taxes we all paid the government and they give back some to the purchaser of an electric.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I am with you regarding EV technology in general= not-quite-ready-for-prime-time until battery & infrastructure are improved.

That being said, why wouldn't the fastest ever, best-handling F150 not be worthy of the 'Lightning' moniker? 🤷‍♂️

PS: Yeah it's pretty ugly lol
I'm one of those guys who doesn't have a problem at all with them making vehicles such as the Mach-e. BUT, did they have to call it a Mustang? Did they have to call it a Mach? They already had a PERFECT name in their portfolio for that vehicle. They could have called it the Probe. It looks more similar to the old Ford Probe than a Mustang, and it wouldn't have ruined the FAR more famous Mustang brand.

Same deal with the Lightning. If they want to build an electric truck that has 4 doors, weighs as much as a school bus, and doesn't look sporty at all....fine. No problem. Go for it. But don't call it a Lightning when everybody in America remembers the Lightning as a 2 door, lightweight, sporty looking muscle truck that sounds like a NASCAR Cup car when you turn the key. Surely to hell they could have found a name for it that plays off the electric nature of the vehicle without ruining a hallowed name.

Oh well, it is what it is at this point. I'll never own another Ford anyway, so as my grandfather would say, "I don't have a dog in this fight."

Just curious about your numbers compared to gas. If a gas truck gets 18 MPG, that is approx 14 gal for 250 miles. Times $3 per gallon is $41.67 per 250 miles. That is $0.17 per mile. Seems your numbers prove the electric is better in that sense. I also grew up a diehard Ford guy and have owned many F-150s. I don't think I'll trade the JT for one of these but I think Ford did a nice job with this.
I'm working off diesel numbers.

But if we want to work off gas numbers, Ford has a V8 rated 20 MPG combined, or a V6 rated 22. The Jeep 4xe gas engine is rated similarly on its own. (Using EPA window sticker ratings.)

So 22 MPG @ let's say $2.65/gallon is about $0.12 per mile. That's also what I'm seeing with my current diesel truck on a leveling kit and large tires.

Where I live, electricity is cheap. $0.10 per kWh. So I'd see a few pennies per mile savings with an EV. Unless I used it for work, where EVs drain power rapidly. In other parts of the nation it'll be a wash because electric rates are higher.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Hate to say this but I think Ford will convince most of america's truck buyers that their F150 Lightning is the way to go as compared to Tesla, Hummer and Rivan. Lockable front "frunk" means its easier than ever to live with an uncovered (or lightly covered) bed. Electric motors means "lockers" are just a software upgrade away. Low MSRP and tax incentives will fuel (ahem - bad pun) consumer acceptance and make it more attractive to build an infrastructure of charging stations.

A couple of caveats - the concept of powering your house from the truck looks cool but MOST people won't be able to do that without spending additional money. Marketing wins that one. Other onboard power is mostly going to be used for charging phones - not 240v for welding. But contractors and fleets will love it. Maintenance should go way down in exchange for more expensive repairs and higher technical competence.

I knew when I bought my JTR 6MT that it would be the last dino juice vehicle I'd ever buy new and I'm planning on holding onto it for kicks when I am old. But I know there is something like an F150 Lightning in my future. Not a fugly stupid useless Tesla truck (special feature! takes its own selfies!) or a brute Hummer EV (jeez they build an EV and it is still a guzzler).

If Jeep were smart they'd figure out how put in an all electric drivetrain into the Gladiator and make it the best off road all electric midsize pick up out there. Won't affect the doors and top situation and the body on frame live axle design will make it easier to integrate a battery and motors. Plus the lighter footprint of our JT's compared to f150s should help with range and towing.

DO IT JEEP!

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
the lightning should be 140 kWh according to a little birdie I know.

given the national average cost of electricity now cresting $.14 and losing about 5% during the charging process that means about a $.07 a mile

Sponsored

OP
OP

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Ugh. I really, really, want a Wrangler or Gladiator. If this was a Jeep Gladiator 4xe reveal, I would be all over it. Where I live, I need a truck or a trailer (the latter I already have and its a PIA in taking up garage space). I would drive the truck as much as I drive the trailer, which is maybe 10-20 miles in a day and at most 50 to 100 on very rare occasions. It would be nice to have one "fleet" (as in household vehicle) be an alternative fuel type vehicle so if anything happened like down South, we would have one electric vehicle to cover us for getting around locally. The range of the Ford Lightning plus its acceleration is absolutely perfect for me. I just wish it was a Wrangler or Gladiator type vehicle. Our KL Cherokee is getting too old to be pulling 4500 pounds for similarly mentioned distances. The ability of Wranglers to only pull 3500 pounds is tough to justify, although my trailer is only rated at ~2000. I rent Uhaul trailers when needed. The Ford Lightning is not KL Cherokee ugly and I have grown quite fond of the KL despite its ugly big trek front and absolutely terrible transmission. It tows an old classic car on a Uhaul trailer like a boss, which a Wrangler never could.
Maybe I could live with a Wrangler 4xe for a while, but long-term I'd like something that can tow close to 5K pounds or more as well as have more than just a 21 mile range on electric.
The gauntlet has been thrown. Come on Jeep. Make your move! Otherwise, the Ford Lightning is pretty close in fitting my requirements. I agree on the e-Mustang misuse of a legendary name, but the Ford Lightning given its a fast electric truck doesn't seem quite as bad.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Until they have fully electric models ready for production, Jeeps dive into alternative energy will be primarily to appease EPA requirements for raising overall fleet MPG.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Hate to say this but I think Ford will convince most of america's truck buyers that their F150 Lightning is the way to go as compared to Tesla, Hummer and Rivan.
Hate to say it? The tesla is going nowhere. The Rivian is an estate truck, basically a Range Rover truck. The Hummer is ok but it's definitely not targeted at the truck market with the 5' bed and removable roof. The F150 is the only actual truck in the market.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland

100% false. Your tax offset is on the backs of your neighbors. I am a super liberal but I am not going to ask my neighbors to help pay for my vehicle... which is inflated in price because the government knows I have $10k or whatever extra in my pocket. It's a ruse.

RobertRinAustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU
100% false. Your tax offset is on the backs of your neighbors. I am a super liberal but I am not going to ask my neighbors to help pay for my vehicle... which is inflated in price because the government knows I have $10k or whatever extra in my pocket. It's a ruse.
Deductions and tax credits are ways each individual keeps more of the money they earned. Your neighbors don't pay for your tax deductions/ credits. There is no money transfered from the Treasury that wasn't paid by the individual. Yes, there is a reduction in tax revenue, but that is the case for every deduction/ credit. I'm not paying my neighbors home mortgage deduction or property tax deduction either.

As an Econ grad, this shift in language drives my crazy. It's tied to the false belief system that if you take legally allowed tax breaks, you're somehow wrong.

FWIW, I've got nothing that gets me a tax credit, but that might change one day.

Last edited:

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
I don't see a benefit of the 4xe. In hybrid mode, it is getting worse MPG than the normal 2.0T engine would get.
All the 4xe owners are reporting 18-20 mph in Hybrid mode.
Sponsored