Sponsored

Forged V6 internals

Would you be interested in Forged internals?

• Total voters

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Forced induction, Forged internals, closed deck, begs for E85.

ya’ll gonna make me miss my wrx.
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Forged vs. cast is simple - we've been using forged pistons in performance engines since - well, I first started and then I'm sure years before that.
Forged means the "grain" of the metal flows more like the grain of wood instead of a more random crystalline formation like the random grain of cast metals. Think plywood instead of particle board. NOT A GOOD EXPLANATION for sure, but may make sense, maybe. The metal is heated to plastic and shoved or forced into shape instead of molten and poured. Sort of like a blacksmith makes parts by heating and forcing them into shape.

Forged is more expensive compared to cast parts although some companies used and use certain forged parts, sort of depends. AMC used forged crankshafts and had a higher nickel content in their blocks making them tougher. But they still used cast pistons and rods.
I put hypereutectic pistons in my 70's 390 rather than forged but if I end up rebuilding my 360 or the 401 I have for my 73, it will get forged pistons and I intend some more serious power with it. The hyper pistons can be run a lot tighter in the cylinder than either forged or cast, but aren't as tough as forged. They don't suffer thermal expansion, no slap when cold, etc.

Closed deck examples are your typical old-school V8 engines from the 60s, 70s, etc. where open deck has the top of the cylinder standing alone, not "secured" to the block at the top, water jacket all the way around when the head is off. Semi-open is "attached" or "secured" to the block in places, but not fully or all around.
There's great pictures of the different types out there.
thank you! That was a really good explanation. I did a little image research To visualize the open and closed deck designs. Makes total sense now.

now I call follow this thread and maybe keep up.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The biggest problem with having and open deck is the extreme amount of lateral load on a small contact surface at the head gasket. The whole force times surface area equation. The higher the cylinder pressure the more chance you will get localized fretting on the head gasket and have a leak. A better head gasket may be an ok solution. When I worked with a bike racing team we used lazer cut copper head gaskets and the maleability of the copper would basically steak the top of the cylinder to the head. You get one shot at torqing it on. There is a company that makes a lazer cut piece that goes in there. It would have to be tight and have the same expansion rate as everything else or it will do more harm than good. Lastly can just keep doong what I am doing now and keep cylinder pressures low at high engine speeds with timing and fuel. Pretty much the same principles as a diesel engine. Lessen the side loading to the cylinder when your taxing the seal.

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
You just need a clutch ;)

My Z makes 4 digit whp on a 6 speed with just a clutch and flywheel ;)
Jeez, I wish we had the Z's transmission. The one in the Gladiator from what I have read is not a very stout unit. I plan to do the centerforce clutch and supercharge anyway! Just gonna send it! (Def not 4 digits for me though! Your Z must be one hell of a build!

Sponsored

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Those rods and pistons from prodigy will not work...

The second Gen motor which we have is not a small revision of the 1st gen. Heads are different and so is the compression.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Those rods and pistons from prodigy will not work...

The second Gen motor which we have is not a small revision of the 1st gen. Heads are different and so is the compression.
I was more thinking of the block spacer and studs. I agree the rotation assembly stuff will not work

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I was more thinking of the block spacer and studs. I agree the rotation assembly stuff will not work
their block guard can fall and cause more damage. Highly advise against that type of press in guard.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
What materials and techniques are used to turn an open deck block into a closed deck block? I know the difference between open and closed, but I am unfamiliar with the idea that you can turn an open into a closed.

I think it would be cool if someone had a 'stroker kit' for the 3.6, to give it more low end torque, but, since the 3.6 has been around for quite a while, I expect someone would have tried it by now if it were feasible and worthwhile, some engines are adaptable to it and others not as readily adaptable

Sponsored

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Nice!!
Thankfully I got the I wanna go fast out of me in Europe... A speeding ticket for 164 kph in my MJ...... some Autobahn's have speed limits!
I can kind of relate... The picture is a snapshot of the Mazda 6 I was driving, flat out in Germany. My coworker had a Focus that would run 135 mph... but getting passed when you are going 114 mph by cars that make you feel like you are standing still is rather impressive.

Jeep Gladiator Forged V6 internals IMG_1159

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
What materials and techniques are used to turn an open deck block into a closed deck block? I know the difference between open and closed, but I am unfamiliar with the idea that you can turn an open into a closed.

I think it would be cool if someone had a 'stroker kit' for the 3.6, to give it more low end torque, but, since the 3.6 has been around for quite a while, I expect someone would have tried it by now if it were feasible and worthwhile, some engines are adaptable to it and others not as readily adaptable
This is a wrx, but does a good job IMO of showing the process.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I can kind of relate... The picture is a snapshot of the Mazda 6 I was driving, flat out in Germany. My coworker had a Focus that would run 135 mph... but getting passed when you are going 114 mph by cars that make you feel like you are standing still is rather impressive.

Jeep Gladiator Forged V6 internals IMG_1159
" Sorry for thread drift"
I got "tagged" in CZ on their Autobahn you kinda prepay for your speed a decal for windshield the Autobahn sticker is good up to 120 k then you can buy a higher speed decals to go faster. I hadn't been informed of it until I got pulled over back in 97 expensive ticket but the CZ police didn't hammer me... Thanks for the guy in a high end lux car blowing past with out even moving over. I didn't want to be in that car afterwards.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
UPDATE: I have partnered with Pauter Machine Co. and JE Pistons. They will have the parts they need by mid week this week. It will take approximately 6 weeks to get first articles. At which point I need to determine if I test it personally or have another partner test it...
Sponsored