Sponsored

Front coil spring bending after Daystar leveling kit.

OP
OP
Xenephobe

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Here are after pics. Passenger side and then
27790617-9742-4DA1-9786-ECECA4FB219C.jpeg
C8CBB295-7CB7-4153-9AD0-32F04D11B5BD.jpeg
Driver side.
Looks great! I chose to only use the correction pad on the driver side because my passenger side looked normal. It's unfortunate that here's some issue with the factory pads that cause issues, but I'm glad that there's a solution for it. My guess is that most people who are running spacer kits have the same issue and just don't know it/haven't looked.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Xenephobe

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
All that money spent you probably could have had a basic suspension lift. This was my fear and I offroad a bit and will have the added weight in bed. Bought an aev spacer lift and sat on it for two days before purchasing the full lift and returning the spacer.
I only have under $100 into it all. At the time, I was fortunate enough to work at a truck accessory shop that allowed me to buy all of the parts for well under retail. And I was able to return the Daystar kit for a full refund.

But I'll likely upgrade to a full suspension kit when I get bored sometime in the future. It's the Jeep life

OP
OP
Xenephobe

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
What is the Daystar part number for the correction pads?
If you look at my earlier posts, I have a picture with the box and the part number on it for the one I used.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Looks great! I chose to only use the correction pad on the driver side because my passenger side looked normal. It's unfortunate that here's some issue with the factory pads that cause issues, but I'm glad that there's a solution for it. My guess is that most people who are running spacer kits have the same issue and just don't know it/haven't looked.
My passenger looked ok....but me being OCD with things like that, I couldnt do only one. Im glad I did both honestly.

JeepFeste

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary, 1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Sr. Project Manager
If you look at my earlier posts, I have a picture with the box and the part number on it for the one I used.
So I just realized something today, the bowing isn't necessarily caused by the daystar kit, (that one might just highlight it more) as it's a lift/level issue, that I am seeing with all Gladiators that don't have the adjustable trac-bar installed. The bowing seems to be caused by the shift of the axle (off center from right to left) as the added height pushes that to the driver side and thus causing the bow as the top and bottom are set in position and the middle will push out or in (on pass side) a little. The stock length trac bar can't overcome that height differential and changes that geometry - and only pick a trac bar that is 0-xx" height adjustable as there are some that are 2"+ that are too long and will push to pass side when adjusted all the way inward.

So the daystar correction pad is only fixing part of the issue with the daystar kit.

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
So I just realized something today, the bowing isn't necessarily caused by the daystar kit, (that one might just highlight it more) as it's a lift/level issue, that I am seeing with all Gladiators that don't have the adjustable trac-bar installed. The bowing seems to be caused by the shift of the axle (off center from right to left) as the added height pushes that to the driver side and thus causing the bow as the top and bottom are set in position and the middle will push out or in (on pass side) a little. The stock length trac bar can't overcome that height differential and changes that geometry - and only pick a trac bar that is 0-xx" height adjustable as there are some that are 2"+ that are too long and will push to pass side when adjusted all the way inward.

So the daystar correction pad is only fixing part of the issue with the daystar kit.

I dont think thats the case...on some yes. Even from factory, some of these are bowing.

JeepFeste

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary, 1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Sr. Project Manager
I dont think thats the case...on some yes. Even from factory, some of these are bowing.
Interesting, mine was straight before I installed my terraflex kit and now bows out (not as bad as OP though). I guess the amount of bow is subjective and the results might be as well.

Will report my results after I install an adjustable track bar.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Guys, I’m a little confused. The factory manual says this bowing is “normal for properly installed springs”.
Go back and look at the reference in post #27.
Spring install excerpt

OP
OP
Xenephobe

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S

This was one of the first things I considered when I encountered the bowing spring on my JT. But after a ton of research and looking at my front end closely, I came to the conclusion that adding a 1.5 inch leveling kit is not enough to alter the horizonal position of the front axle enough to cause the type of bowing I had. I measured the outside of the tire on both sides compared to the top of the front fender and the axle had barely shifted. I have also looked at a factory JT and noticed it had a slight bow even without a lift or level kit.

OP
OP
Xenephobe

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Guys, I’m a little confused. The factory manual says this bowing is “normal for properly installed springs”.
Go back and look at the reference in post #27.
Spring install excerpt
That may be right for a full on lift kit, but we are talking about a small 1.5 inch leveling kit. Not a 2+ inch lift that replaces the springs and other components.

Your diagram also shows both springs bowing outwards. The issue we are having is one spring bowing out and the other is perfectly fine.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Well Hell..... Everyone I talked to convinced me to get the daystar 3/4 leveling pucks for the front to use with my mopar 2" lift to correct the rake when I goto install my winch bumper thats setting in the garage at the moment.. Am I going to run into this problem now? I do have the adjustable track bar.
instructions say to install the isolater on top between the the spring and factory isolator.
My current mopar springs are pretty close to what the diagram posted above shows. Very slight bow outwards.
Sponsored