Sponsored

Fuel fill mod

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Did this tonight. Definitely one of the most tedious things I’ve done on a Jeep. Not technically difficult but I had a hell of a time getting the liner out once I removed the filler neck assembly from the Jeep. Mad props to anyone who did this while it was still on the Jeep.

Side note, anyone who’s ordered an extra and not needed the whole thing have an extra plastic filler sleeve (the part with the thread for the cap)? I busted mine up trying to yank it out. It still works, but it’s ugly and part of the metal filler part underneath is visible now.
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Did this tonight. Definitely one of the most tedious things I’ve done on a Jeep. Not technically difficult but I had a hell of a time getting the liner out once I removed the filler neck assembly from the Jeep. Mad props to anyone who did this while it was still on the Jeep.

Side note, anyone who’s ordered an extra and not needed the whole thing have an extra plastic filler sleeve (the part with the thread for the cap)? I busted mine up trying to yank it out. It still works, but it’s ugly and part of the metal filler part underneath is visible now.
I had the same. I ended up buying a whole assembly pulling the plastic and popping it in. $163 later.

gcurtis79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Ready mix plant manager

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
Took half of the inner fender liner bolts and fasteners out. Disconnected the fuel, vent and def hoses from the metal fill tubes. Unbolted metal fill tube assembly from the truck. On each side of the fill tube just below where the cap sits there are two tabs that need pushed in to release the inner flap assembly. Then pull the assembly out of the metal fill tube. There are three pieces that will come out. Remove the two plastic sections of the three leaving the outer piece that your fuel cap would screw to. Re-insert that outer piece back into the metal fill tube and make sure the two tabs fasteners back into fill tube. Bolt everything back in and button everything back up.

did you have any trouble getting the metal fill tube off the rubber hose?

mine seems to be stuck on there no matter how much i try to twist the rubber off the metal

AE1C1556-18D6-46DD-B3E7-13108A7C5E48.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
RS3

RS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD on order, 2017 4runner TRD
Occupation
Self Employed
did you have any trouble getting the metal fill tube off the rubber hose?

mine seems to be stuck on there no matter how much i try to twist the rubber off the metal

Jeep Gladiator Fuel fill mod AE1C1556-18D6-46DD-B3E7-13108A7C5E48
I didn't have any issues. Does the hose move once you untighten the clamp?

OP
OP
RS3

RS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD on order, 2017 4runner TRD
Occupation
Self Employed
not at all, thats the problem. i let the clamp all the way out and the hose won't budge.
I usually just run a small flat head screwdriver up under the hose all the way around it where it's attached and break the seal that it has on the pipe.

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
I usually just run a small flat head screwdriver up under the hose where it's attached and break the seal that it has on the pipe.
tried this with a pick and a small flat head, didn't have any luck. it seems like there's a fair bit of contact between the rubber and the metal filler neck. maybe i'd need to get something longer in there....

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Spray some WD40 between the hose and filler neck. This will help loosen the grip between the two.

Sponsored

REALJEEP78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ7
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hi,

I have designed a solution for the poor design of the JL and JT filler neck. There is no warranty voiding modifications and is as easy to use as screwing on the OEM cap as unlike a funnel, this adapter screws into the filler neck like the cap does to keep it secure. I have attached a few pictures. This also allows for an easy way to fill up with a jerry can. I am in the process of testing a new revision as the pics show an older style. Because of the no commerce rule, message me for more details.

PXL_20220401_215433517.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220401_215552325.PORTRAIT.jpg

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Jeep includes a small white funnel for just such issue with look after diameter nozzles.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Mine came with a black funnel whose exterior portion is an open cone, which opens the gate door but works spectacularly poorly with large diameter high flow nozzles. Try it, it will splash back at you and in your eyes and all over unless you very carefully trickle it in as slowly as possible, hand on the nozzle the whole 20 minutes it takes to fill the tank. (Ask me how I know lol)

If you’re saying there’s a white funnel that fully encloses a high flow nozzle, that will allow hands-off pumping and auto shut off - please share details. Because that’s what it looks like @Realjeep78’s solution would do

Last edited:

REALJEEP78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ7
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Mine came with a black funnel whose exterior portion is an open cone, which opens the gate door but works spectacularly poorly with large diameter high flow nozzles. Try it, it will splash back at you and in your eyes and all over unless you very carefully trickle it in as slowly as possible, hand on the nozzle the whole 20 minutes it takes to fill the tank. (Ask me how I know lol)

If you’re saying there’s a white funnel that fully encloses a high flow nozzle, that will allow hands-off pumping and auto shut off - please share details. Because that’s what it looks like @Realjeep78’s solution would do

The adapter screws into the filler of the vehicle like the oem cap. Because it is secured, there is no chance of it falling out while using. Through testing, we have rested 1" fillers nozzles with their long hoses with no issue. Because of the size difference, or the greater flow from the 1" nozzles, its not a set and forget it type of arrangement. The filler nozzle handle does need to be manually ran or the flow will be too great and the syphon shut off will kick in.

Jerry can use is also handy as there is no need to hold a funnel while trying to hold a can a chest height. Because the adapter is screwed in, there zero chance for it to pop out and causing a mess or worse, leaving less fuel to put into the vehicle while away from civilization.

I am working on a flyer and ordering info. The cost will be $130 with free shipping. Our family company is called Agri-Services (wiringharnesses.com), our primary business is the manufacturing of wiring harnesses for farm tractors and other industrial equipment. I am an Mechanical Engineer that likes to solve problems. When my wife took delivery of her 21 JL with the diesel, it was evident that the act of fueling from all sources was not possible, so I designed the Excursion Keeper. Its been in testing since 2021 and adapted as needed.

I have a gas version as well. The same top end, but the part that threads into the filler neck is slightly different with a shortened tube extrusion as there is no tabs to push out of the way. The gas version would really only be for jerry can use, offering the secure filling as the diesel version.

Chris

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Hi,

I have designed a solution for the poor design of the JL and JT filler neck. There is no warranty voiding modifications and is as easy to use as screwing on the OEM cap as unlike a funnel, this adapter screws into the filler neck like the cap does to keep it secure. I have attached a few pictures. This also allows for an easy way to fill up with a jerry can. I am in the process of testing a new revision as the pics show an older style. Because of the no commerce rule, message me for more details.

Jeep Gladiator Fuel fill mod PXL_20220401_215552325.PORTRAIT

Jeep Gladiator Fuel fill mod PXL_20220401_215552325.PORTRAIT
Would a big rig nozzle fits into this adapter? The opening look kinda small.
Sponsored