Sponsored

Fuel tank capacity

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If I had a complaint about the Gladiator it would be the fuel tank capacity. There is room there for Jeep to have done a better job and get another 5 to 7 gallons there but for what ever reason they chose not to..

‘’To the rescue come Long Range America who has developed a secondary fuel tank that will hold 17 additional gallons. It will be installed on the right side of the drive shaft and require a minor rerouting of the exhaust.

I have preordered one and will get it in September. I’ll do a full write up when we do it.

https://longrangeamerica.com/
Wait... right side of the driveshaft? That's the fuel tank side. I wonder if that means it's in front of the main tank which would be amazing.

If they have it backwards, I fear that means you'll need to remove the front resonator because that's where Magnaflow put the muffler.
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Wait... right side of the driveshaft? That's the fuel tank side. I wonder if that means it's in front of the main tank which would be amazing.

If they have it backwards, I fear that means you'll need to remove the front resonator because that's where Magnaflow put the muffler.
If you pm me your email I can send you the preliminary installation instructions.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Ah I reached out to them and they confirmed my fear... The tank requires removing the front resonator and it tucks between the exhaust and the driveshaft. Wish I'd known that before I swapped exhausts because I'd probably just have had someone make something custom. Maybe I can sell it and still go that route without too much lost.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Looks inconvenient and close to a lot of heat, the exhaust system. I am hoping Transfer Flow comes up with a tank soon. They are also generally a better deal than paying $2k for adding only 17 gallons.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The tank will be aluminum and combining the thermal transfer capability of aluminum (i.e. it doesn't absorb and retain heat well at all), I don't think it will be a concern in the slightest. You have to remove the resonator for a straight pipe to fit the tank and while exhaust will be hot to the touch, the thin pipe on its own isn't a great source of radiated heat like the heavy resonator or muffler would be.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
The tank will be aluminum and combining the thermal transfer capability of aluminum (i.e. it doesn't absorb and retain heat well at all), I don't think it will be a concern in the slightest. You have to remove the resonator for a straight pipe to fit the tank and while exhaust will be hot to the touch, the thin pipe on its own isn't a great source of radiated heat like the heavy resonator or muffler would be.
I believe the LRA tank is stainless steel.
If I think there’s going to be a problem I’ll probably get some “header tape” we use to use in our race cars to keep the engine bay cooler..

LIke this...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010123?rrec=true

Last edited:

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Could have sworn they were aluminum for the LC80 but their site is showing aluminized steel. Clearly my brain latched onto the first word and filed that one in the wrong folder.

Basically that's aluminum bonded to the steel at a very low level so I still think it will be fine... worse case, smlobx has the right idea with some exhaust wrap.

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
I’m still trying to figure out how the tank is 22 gallons... my fuel range went down to 11 miles and when I filled up, all I got was 18.5 gallons in the tank. The fuel I had must have been .5 gallon, which makes the tank 19 gallons. Does the low fuel indicate range until you hit the reserve tank or empty?

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
@smlobx any updates on your tank?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
@smlobx any updates on your tank?
Why yes. Thanks for asking !

the tank has been received by my mechanic and we are trying to set up a schedule to install it. Two of his best mechanics our out with Covid so I’m thinking it will be a couple of weeks. I will let everyone know and hopefully take some pictures of the process.

It was received shrink wrapped and on a pallet. They also emailed me the latest instructions which have been updated in the past few weeks so I’m hoping things go well.
Sponsored