Sponsored

Future JT diesel Rubicon owner with questions.

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Agree with all you stated; I am considering 18's...in the event I decide to mount bigger (better) after-market brakes.
Just my opinion but I wouldn't bother with 18's. They cost more and havr Fewer tire choices than 17's. If you want more wheel or space for brakes put 20's on it.
Sponsored

Tguerrero

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
So. I've been reading so much here on the forums. Amazing amount of info. I'm new to Jeep, but not 4X4 trucks with lifts. I'm set on ordering a new or finding a new Rubicon diesel. A few questions. TIA.

1st off. This build is going to be for light duty, easy trails, snow in Flagstaff, desert washes, etc. etc. not necessarily heavy duty rock climbing. Trips to Home Depot, Costco, etc.

1. I want to place 37's on the JT. I've read about the mopar 2 inch and other similar lifts (3 1/2). 2 inches doesn't seem like alot. 3 1/2 seems to make more sense. But I'm considering the value of the warrantied 2 inch lift. Is it worth it? btw .... the JT needs to be able to fit in my garage. Typical 82 inch opening. Also ...not a big fan of "stuffed" tires under the fenders. Looking at warranty, pricing, looks and function and ..... it needs to fit in my garage lol.

2. Regearing? Seems like with the diesel and 37's .... no regearing is necessary? I am not going to tow anything. I'm in the Phx area. Mostly flat.

3. 17's vs 20 inch wheels? I get it. 17s give you more side wall protection. I'm drawn to the 20's. Is there any downsides to the 20's besides costing more? Again ... no heavy rock crawling for me. Mostly pavement and light desert stuff.

4. Lastly. If I choose to go with a 3 1/2 lift. Anyone know a reputable 4X4 shop in the Phoenix area?

Thanks again. Awesome forum. Hoping to get this JT before the end of this year.

Metal Cloak 3.5 inch lift is great for the Gladiator Diesel.

OP
OP
2TH MVR

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist
Metal Cloak 3.5 inch lift is great for the Gladiator Diesel.
I would prefer a slightly taller lift, but for now ..... it needs to fit in the garage and I want to keep the warranty intact. Looking at the mopar 2 in with a leveling block up front to level for now. Daughter is getting married next month .... so all available cash going to that.

After that .... I will get serious about ordering the JTRD. Been spending plenty of time looking at wheels and tires.

OP
OP
2TH MVR

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist
Just wanted to update my original post. I picked up my new JTRD last sat. Had the dealership install the 2 in Mopar lift along with a front 3/4 spacer. For the 1st time in my car buying life .... I went ahead and purchased an extended warranty (7 years) for around $2500. I plan on keeping this Jeep for a long time.

1st off. I LOVE this jeep. Love it. I was quite surprised how tall the jeep was. I mean I'm close to 6 ft tall and I had to climb into this jeep. No complaints though. Drove it home and noticed the nuances of solid front and rear axles. No surprise since I used to own a F350 Turbo diesel with solid axes front and rear. I love the feeling of these heavy duty axles. Not a fan of IFS for offroading. My wife even commented how beefy the truck felt at speed.

Originally I was going to get some 20's wheels with 37's Nittos. I'm going to wait. The stock tires are big enough for now. I'm going to enjoy the truck as is ..... and then make tire/wheel changes in the future.

I know this diesel gets alot of criticism re" towing and derating with high temps". But right now. I'm loving this diesel engine.

Just want to thank everyone for all the great info on buying this JTRD.

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
Congrats . Now go in your fuse box and make sure they are all pushed in fully. Half mine were mostly out . Amazing it ran . From what I hear is common.

Sponsored

Staphylococcus0

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Gecko Gladiator, aka Ostentatious.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Machinist
DBACAFC5-0C1D-4365-B480-90DB550DA85F.jpeg
D10B5C16-2000-46A9-A8C8-AC90572F9466.jpeg
My jtrd is 77.5” tall . 78” if my tires were newer. 37” nittos 2” mopar
Been searching a while for this answer to a 2" lift and 37's.
I have an 80" opening on my garage.
So it should fit. barely.

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
Been searching a while for this answer to a 2" lift and 37's.
I have an 80" opening on my garage.
So it should fit. barely.
Keep in mind that if you get a canopy it will stick up a little higher at the back. I had to adjust the settings on my door to go as high as it can .
Sponsored