Sponsored

Future JT diesel Rubicon owner with questions.

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
If youd like your vehicle to drive like stock for a longer amount of time . Get the mopar 2” . Bushings outlast most any aftermarket product no matter what they claim . Stay away from 20” tires . Even at lower pressures they ride rougher, and you will be more susceptible to pinch damage . More of a mall crawler thing. You get a far better contact patch with air down and sort of better articulation due to the fact the tires allow more compression . For 37s Youd need a 3.5 lift with anything but a rubicon . A rubicon with a 2” is plenty clearance.
Jeep Gladiator Future JT diesel Rubicon owner with questions. 42B52562-5EB5-4875-905F-B4614C6DB50C
Sponsored

OP
OP
2TH MVR

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist
Again. Thanks for all the info. I was thinking about ordering a 2022 JTRD to take advantage of any updates, but I'm getting so excited .... not sure I can hold out that long lol. Every time I see a Gladiator on the streets .... I get all giddy. Love the look of these jeep trucks.

Based on the recommendations here .... I've decided on the Mopar 2 inch lift. 37's with the 17 or 18 inch wheels. No 20's lol. Just want to keep the warranty intact since it's such a new vehicle. Appears that this setup will fit in my garage which is a must.

So ...... a couple more questions.

Wheels and Tires. Again ... I'm not wise on the jeep world. Is there a preferred Jeep offroad supplier for wheels and tires. Googled it and there are so many. Not looking for rock crawling bead locked wheels, but I do not want cheap wheels either. Going with hybrid tires. I guess what I'm asking is does it make sense to go into an offroad shop and order there .... or go online. Seems like online is the way to go. Of course the shop can offer guidance on offset, sizes, etc. Always happy to shop the small businesses.

This Jeep will be a 3rd vehicle. Not a daily driver. Just a fun weekender to go camping near Flaggstaff, etc. Hit costco or home depot, etc. etc. Been reading about diesels not liking short distance driving. Issues with not enough longterm driving for the regen process. Is there an issue with driving the vehicle only a few times per week? I'm sure I can put some freeway miles on it once a week.

Thanks again. Hope to be a real owner soon.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Should not have posted about your choices, I've been told. So life is short enjoy it!....Jack

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Question regarding "rake". What is the purpose of rake? Is it for those who tow or will have weight in the bed so the truck will be level with a load?

Is it an esthetic thing? I personally cannot stand those pre-runner trucks that are higher in the front than the rear. Personally ... I would like a level truck as I have no intention of towing large loads.

If I were to get the factory Mopar 2 inch lift .... will the truck have a small amount of rake (front lower than rear) and if so .... can the dealership install a front spacer to level?

Just trying to get my info correct so that when I do get the truck (and I will) I will have everything planned out.

Thanks again for all the help.
Yes, the rake is engineered into the vehicle because it's designed to haul and tow, and naturally adding weight causes the rear end to sag. By beginning at a higher point, the weight added will not cause the headlights to shine into the sky which would be a safety issue, and it will not cause the rear brake proportioning to be thrown out of whack which would also be a safety issue.

Because of this, when I lift my trucks I try to maintain a 0.5" minimum rake. From the factory, most Gladiators have a 1.5" rake.

If a guy truly levels his truck, then there are several things that need to be done to preserve it's usefulness as a truck, namely some serious headlight adjustment and a way to keep the rear from sagging under load (Timbren, Sumosprings, etc.).

Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Why are you looking for a diesel Rubicon, around town short trips, Costco runs with very limited highway driving are not what diesels are about. They are about torque for towing and rock crawling, and extended range, but also are about a lot more money you will never get back, expensive oil changes, very heavy and you will have to do more regens then a typical user. You probably don’t need front lockers and sway bar disconnects, or even 37” tires where a true 35” will work fine, but I get it is about the look. I don’t run 37” tires but everything I read says you are pushing limits of long term reliability unless you really spend money on the build. Just saying research the diesel, do you want the hassle and cost for what you need? Just saying.....Jack
I don't think it's that unreasonable to want a diesel if you aren't going to be towing or rock crawling. They sound better, the feel is better, etc. Just don't have to be able applicable uses of it. It's a vehicle--it's made to get you from point A to point B.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
So ...... a couple more questions.

Wheels and Tires. Again ... I'm not wise on the jeep world. Is there a preferred Jeep offroad supplier for wheels and tires.
Shop around, find what you want and the best price. Then take it to discount tire. They should match the price. They are pretty much nationwide: translation, good customer service wherever you are.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
first of all welcome.

1. you will fit in your garage with an 82" opening with either size lift and 37" tires. The Mopar lift is OK to start out on but leaves a few things to be desired, but at the moment it is one of the only lifts right now offered for the diesel. What 3.5 lift are you looking at?

2. This is going to be a preference thing, some will say its a must with 37's but with the diesel you have more torque compared to the gasser, plus you are on flat land as you stated, so I say you can wait and see if you feel the need to regear at a later time. You may decide that you need to regear.

3. If 20's are your thing, then rock it.... I prefer the look of 17s so the cost of it being cheaper to run 17's is a bonus for me. I also believe the 17's will have more tire selections, but I haven't shopped for 20" tires so I cant say for certain.

Another benefit to going with 17's is you get a better ride because of the larger sidewall. Also look at the load range when shopping for tires as most overlook that and then come here and complain of a harsh ride when they have a tire that is E rated.

4. can't help you with that, sorry, but I am sure someone else can
Agree with all you stated; I am considering 18's...in the event I decide to mount bigger (better) after-market brakes.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Agree with all you stated; I am considering 18's...in the event I decide to mount bigger (better) after-market brakes.
A big brake kit will almost certainly be unnecessary.
With 35s I can easily mash the brakes and abs does it’s thing.
If I were a betting man, abs will do it’s thing with 37s or even 40s.

Tires and what they are made of combined with the road surface will determine how fast you stop.
Larger brakes will just resist fade.

Are you tracking your JT? Hittin’ up a few S’s? Little VIR action? ;)

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
There is a diesel Rubicon with a 1.5 inch leveling kit and 35 Toys which is a true 35. Remember the diesel weighs 400lbs more and there is a winch, bull bar, and off road lights.

35 and 37's are different animals, I have made the same mistake doing what looks cool vs what is more economical and friendly to get in and out of, less maintenance, and the list goes on.

dont do gas over diesel because of city driving and re-gen. I sold my Launch gasser to a friend and they drove my diesel and sold their gas to their son to get a diesel. Diesels are no maintenance and dont have to re-gear if you go bigger tires. If you do gas you better get 4.10's and remember you will have one of many many gassers when you sell.

you want top shelf it sounds like so buy a Jeep that can be financed and full warranty. the only company in history to ever take a Jeep off the assembly line and modify it and then offer it for sale on dealer Jeep franchise lot with full warranty and financing, thats what we call a Jeep with a pedigree with the best re-sale also. this is where the big boys play:

https://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/inventory/#/

Jeep Gladiator Future JT diesel Rubicon owner with questions. 31DFF64F-4832-4C31-B6B6-6CDB55CC9B03

Jeep Gladiator Future JT diesel Rubicon owner with questions. C092E0F2-2C80-406A-B807-993682AF9566

Sponsored

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
The brakes are quite good and decent size . Nobody can choose wheels but you. I find 90% of them to be cheesy and plain old fugly . Leveling is something to carefully consider . Nothing sillier looking that a truck with hardly anything in it and squatting at the back. Rake looks sporty .
The mopar 2” lift actually feels much stiffer than what my stock 2020 felt like a Cadillac.
The diesel lift kit is stiffer to hold up the extra weight. Feels agile and fun to drive. And added benefit that doesnt get mentioned is after market stuff starts to squeak like hell unlike the stock . The last go round we with aftermarket long arm full meal deal lift had to re bush twice in the time that one of the jeeps which was stock bushings was still tight and drove like new. . AND we all ramped out the same .

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The brakes are quite good and decent size . Nobody can choose wheels but you. I find 90% of them to be cheesy and plain old fugly . Leveling is something to carefully consider . Nothing sillier looking that a truck with hardly anything in it and squatting at the back. Rake looks sporty .
The mopar 2” lift actually feels much stiffer than what my stock 2020 felt like a Cadillac.
The diesel lift kit is stiffer to hold up the extra weight. Feels agile and fun to drive. And added benefit that doesnt get mentioned is after market stuff starts to squeak like hell unlike the stock . The last go round we with aftermarket long arm full meal deal lift had to re bush twice in the time that one of the jeeps which was stock bushings was still tight and drove like new. . AND we all ramped out the same .
LOL been there done that and totally agree. did a long arm Hemi and have rebuilt it twice in 18k miles

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2TH MVR when you are ready to buy or build, call me and I will be happy to consult you on what to do and what not to do.

My diesel might be for sale when my 392 arrives (they announced the 392 a week after diesel Glad arrived) and its got some great stuff on it and 7/100 extended warranty, I LOVE my Glad diesel but I have two other daily drivers and something needs to go and I have a 1 ton pu for the big loads already.

PM me when you are ready, I see you live in AZ, I definitely would not go gas

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
The 392 will pass everything on the road but a gas station

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 392 will pass everything on the road but a gas station
lol I learned at a young age, if you are concerned about fuel economy you bought the wrong vehicle

my last fun car was 774hp and I cant even tell you how many miles to the gallon it got, all I can tell you is it needed another 200 ponies because it didn't scare me :)
Sponsored