Results are only viewable after voting.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Yes bacon. No diesel knowledge. Plywood.

Internet says below are diesels, but I'm guessing the rat isn't... ?

9d10d96d2e6d88cb4c755ff986c1ca0a--jeep-pickup-jeep-truck.jpg

afa55db09dee9886d5e531ccd7a5be19.jpg
Sponsored

kndrewa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 XJ, 2015 A3
I regularly drove Cummins and Powerstroke work trucks in Wyoming (1995-2005). They didn't drop speed at all on cruise up hills, as if it was flat ground, and that always impressed me. Today I drive a FWD 2015 2.0L diesel Audi A3 which gets 50mpg hwy, 40 combined. I don't expect that kind of fuel economy on a JT, but hope for the torquey pulling power those big Fords and Dodges had.

I didn't do much recreational 4x4 in those trucks, besides snow covered dirt roads or muddy work sites, so I'm not sure how to think about diesel off-road?

Raven257

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 2500
I've had a couple of diesels in the past (ordered a 93 dodge w250, then '04 f250 6.0l, '99 f250 7.3l and currently a '16 ram 2500-g56).

I would consider buying a Gladiator diesel if it had a manual transmission. Put a truck transmission in it a g56 or a zf6. Then easily tow the same as the auto. Maybe add 3.45 ring and pinion gears to get similar fuel mileage. Then it would be a proper truck IMO.

Captbenjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
I've owned multiple diesel trucks and work on vessels powered by marine diesel engines. I've seen the changes happening to diesel engines over the last 2 decades. Engines are making huge power now while being choked to death by EPA mandated emission systems.
Diesel fuel itself has lost its lubricating properties with the ultra low sulphur. Which is one of the main reasons diesel engines lasted so long. The common 500k motors from the past are a rarity nowadays. The cost of diesel has increased due to the heavier refinement to remove the sulphur.
As of Jan 1st 2020, the IMO (international maritime organization) will require that all ships begin using the ULSD fuel of which they've been exempt of. This could be extended, or it could drive up the price of diesel if the refineries cannot keep up with the demand.
And finally the cost of replacing a DPF system that was clogged was ridiculous. I ended up tuning the truck and deleting it which still cost a couple grand.
Just a few of the reasons I decided to not wait on the eco diese .

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Like many of us here I am waiting on the diesel and AC cooled seats!

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I've had a couple of diesels in the past (ordered a 93 dodge w250, then '04 f250 6.0l, '99 f250 7.3l and currently a '16 ram 2500-g56).

I would consider buying a Gladiator diesel if it had a manual transmission. Put a truck transmission in it a g56 or a zf6. Then easily tow the same as the auto. Maybe add 3.45 ring and pinion gears to get similar fuel mileage. Then it would be a proper truck IMO.
Sounds good, but not so sure ready for prime time in the market place. Given my choice I am a stick guy. MY JK Rubicon in my pic was a stick and I loved it, but our days are getting numbered.

The problem, few people can drive a stick and even those that can or will burn out the clutch within <20k mi. For those of us who started with a stick back in the days when everything was a stick, we can get 100k out of a clutch plate, the weak link is the throwout bearing. Even my John Deere is a stick or one of them is, the other is an auto.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I currently drive a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, had the flash and received my settlement check and I'm buying a 3.6 Pentastar JT. I actually loved my ED, but the parts are really expensive and the flash was pretty bad and I don't know that it's worth the premium price tag. I put 141,000 miles on my truck, best tank of gas I got was 29 mpg, but I average around 22-23 mixed driving. Lots of power and torque but the turbo lag and shift points have been off since the re-flash. I had a 2012 Rubi 2 door with 3.6L MT and never had any issues with it and I didn't want to wait for the ED, however, if the ED was available when I ordered my JT and with the MT, I would have gone diesel again.

Chrysler replaced my injectors at 97,000 miles under drive train warranty and I just put $7,500 in it about 10,000 miles ago for new alternator, AC compressor, replaced both fuel pumps, a cv joint and brakes on all four corners and new serpentine

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Envious of cgflyer - I filed the claim on July 5 for my 2015 ED, and I submitted very good documentation, and, every since, claim status shows stuck at 'under review. I called a week ago and got a bunch of rehearsed helplessness blather about how FCA has supposedly hired lots of specially trained people to review and process these claims, but they couldn't even give an estimate on when my claim will move to the next step so that I can have the dealer do the flash and then get the check on the way. I'm severely unimpressed that it's this lengthy and indefinite for them to look at and act upon three documents.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have had diesels in one way or another since 1990. We currently have a GC EcoDiesel and love it. We are averaging about 25 mpg in mixed driving and the torque is amazing.

The only reason I didn’t wait for the diesel in the JT is that a I want to be able to take the truck to Mexico and they haven’t been able to switch over to ULSD even though they were suppose to have the switch completed by 2018. The torque and range of the 3.0 EcoDiesel is amazing.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
I'm waiting on the diesel for range...for where I plan to go, full time overlanding, range and reliability will be critical. No hard core rock crowling. I will be towing a trailer. Intend to mount an aux tank and mostly aluminum accessories (bumpers, sliders, fenders, possibly forged aluminum wheels...big $$$). And, prefer to go with 35's but may switch to 37's if I need to stress the engine into a more favorable operating range.
Need your thoughts, knowledge, wisdom.
Sponsored