Gas mileage is concerning..

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm ok with th gas mileage. I get about the same as my wife gets in her JKU (both manual) so I can't complain too much. Both of us get high 17s to low 18s all around. 21-22 on the highway. But it's hilly/mountainous here. We might be able to eke another mile or two out on flat land.
Sponsored

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
One thing with Fuelly is that it doesn't (as far as I know) take towing into account. For example, my overall Fuelly average over 21,500 miles is 13.9 mpg, BUT about 1/4 of those miles are towing, where I get about 10 mpg. Around town and on the freeway, I'm usually 17.5ish (Mojave, stock MT tires), with a high of over 20 mpg for one tank (driving like my grandma trying to see what the best mileage I could get was). The low averages on Fuelly for some people may be related to towing?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
One thing with Fuelly is that it doesn't (as far as I know) take towing into account. For example, my overall Fuelly average over 21,500 miles is 13.9 mpg, BUT about 1/4 of those miles are towing, where I get about 10 mpg. Around town and on the freeway, I'm usually 17.5ish (Mojave, stock MT tires), with a high of over 20 mpg for one tank (driving like my grandma trying to see what the best mileage I could get was). The low averages on Fuelly for some people may be related to towing?
Could also be the user base for fuelly.

Personally theyre not a service ive ever used, and i had never heard of until last year. Theres a good chance the client base for fuely is made up of people who get lower mpg and are tracking that as a way to improve it.

Since going back to duelers (255/75/17) ive stopped paying attention to my driving habbits because the vehicle response/fuel economy is WAY better. Making it a none issue for me. ive stopped really watching my Mpg all the time, unlike before when i had heavier tires.

kinda like you’ll see more negative reviews for restaurants and businesses since people don’t often take the time to leave a positive review when they are satisfied, but will quickly leave a negative review when they are dissatisfied.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Could also be the user base for fuelly.

Personally theyre not a service ive ever used, and i had never heard of until last year. Theres a good chance the client base for fuely is made up of people who get lower mpg and are tracking that as a way to improve it.

Since going back to duelers (255/75/17) ive stopped paying attention to my driving habbits because the vehicle response/fuel economy is WAY better. Making it a none issue for me. ive stopped really watching my Mpg all the time, unlike before when i had heavier tires.

kinda like you’ll see more negative reviews for restaurants and businesses since people don’t often take the time to leave a positive review when they are satisfied, but will quickly leave a negative review when they are dissatisfied.
That's another thing - user base. Each type of software seems to draw different users than another.
And just because so many drive and don't get it or don't care and end up with numbers that are below what's truly possible even with just decent driving doesn't mean the rest of us can't achieve it.
To say because that app says thousands of drivers get only 17 mpg does not mean the rest of us can't or don't do better.
To say the numbers posted here are faked, false, bumped up to brag or whatever because a user base shows different numbers is far from scientific.
I only posted a couple of months - before FillUp, I had different tires and did better than my stats now show. Math and app showed that while my truck said I got 13.8 mpg on the dash, the app says I got 13.9 towing.

I also figure that if my wife gets 25.5 with her Grand Cherokee, about the same weight as my Gladiator but of course a different shape, why can't I get under that by a bit with my brick (tip to Gren71)

(months ago I checked fuelly but liked FillUp better - personal choice of an IT guy, I guess)

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I get a computer output (hand calculated verification) of 32mpg average for mine with my RTT on top and about 400 lbs of gear in it… but my engine makes a real clackity clack noise all the time
That is impressive. Plus you get the torque too.
Once again regretting my choice for the gasser.
As far as the extra minimal noise, that’s what Harmon Kardon is for.😏

Big John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M715x2, 92 YJ, 20 Gladiator
When my Gladiator was brand new i got 14mpg. Now it's 35,000 miles later and I get 8mpg.
Overall I am still very happy with it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Are you driving around with the e-brake set...or what??
Hell, FillUp says I got 13.8 mpg towing about 5,000 pounds on the hills of I80.
I can't imagine doing sub-10 unless I was driving 90 mph or I was going up hill with the wind in my face.

I think leaving the brake applied helps keep the axle lube leak burned off of things.
There's gotta be a youtube video on that.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I found a great way to get 20% better fuel economy.
Go to settings, units, change from US gallon to UK gallon.
😳

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
The money I save by driving an economy car to & from work and errands around town, literally pays for $2750 of off road upgrades a year. I have a 38 mile round trip drive to work & home. Why in Gods green earth would I want to use my JT as a DD? Jeeps are for off-roading adventure, not the Grocery store, work-parking lots and so on. With the length of my commute, I literally save enough to have my economy car paid for, including insurance, maintenance and registration for both vehicles, not to mention the wearing down of off-road tires at $1200 a set, seems ludacris, just so I can pretend Its good for my ego to drive my JT to any of the above mentioned locations. I mean you may as well drive a SxS to work, at least you would save some gas money. My JT is a formidable off road beast, but a horrible DD (compared to just about any other vehicle), and thats just the way it should be, and I'm very happy with that. Do the math, and get a little commuter car, or carry on, and continue to pay high gas prices and let your warranty and life expectancy of your JT prematurely expire, choice is definitely yours. Right now, mine is sheltering in my garage, out of the weather until spring, for the next Moab, Ouray or other BOH/trail adventure or camping trip with my RTT or off road trailer. 12 BOH trails this summer, and 7 national parks, thats jeep life. 10-14 mpg's every trip, and I don't give a rats ass, because its the Smiles Per Gallon.
Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. Greta.JPEG

Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. IMG_1530.PNG

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The money I save by driving an economy car to & from work and errands around town, literally pays for $5k of off road upgrades a year. I have a 38 mile round trip drive to work & home. Why in Gods green earth would I want to use my JT as a DD? Jeeps are for off-roading adventure, not the Grocery store, work-parking lots and so on. With the length of my commute, I literally save enough to have my economy car paid for, including insurance, maintenance and registration for both vehicles, not to mention the wearing down of off-road tires at $1200 a set, seems ludacris, just so I can pretend Its good for my ego to drive my JT to any of the above mentioned locations. I mean you may as well drive a SxS to work, at least you would save some gas money. My JT is a formidable off road beast, but a horrible DD (compared to just about any other vehicle), and thats just the way it should be, and I'm very happy with that. Do the many, and get a little commuter car, or carry on, and continue to pay high gas prices and let your warranty and life expectancy of your JT prematurely expire, choice is definitely yours. Right now, mine is sheltering in my garage, out of the weather until spring, for the next Moab, Ouray or other BOH/trail adventure or camping trip with my RTT or off road trailer. 12 BOH trails this summer, and 7 national parks, thats jeep life. 10-14 mpg's every trip, and I don't give a rats ass, because its the Smiles Per Gallon.
Love my Gladiator as a DD.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The money I save by driving an economy car to & from work and errands around town, literally pays for $5k of off road upgrades a year. I have a 38 mile round trip drive to work & home. Why in Gods green earth would I want to use my JT as a DD? Jeeps are for off-roading adventure, not the Grocery store, work-parking lots and so on. With the length of my commute, I literally save enough to have my economy car paid for, including insurance, maintenance and registration for both vehicles, not to mention the wearing down of off-road tires at $1200 a set, seems ludacris, just so I can pretend Its good for my ego to drive my JT to any of the above mentioned locations. I mean you may as well drive a SxS to work, at least you would save some gas money. My JT is a formidable off road beast, but a horrible DD (compared to just about any other vehicle), and thats just the way it should be, and I'm very happy with that. Do the many, and get a little commuter car, or carry on, and continue to pay high gas prices and let your warranty and life expectancy of your JT prematurely expire, choice is definitely yours. Right now, mine is sheltering in my garage, out of the weather until spring, for the next Moab, Ouray or other BOH/trail adventure or camping trip with my RTT or off road trailer. 12 BOH trails this summer, and 7 national parks, thats jeep life. 10-14 mpg's every trip, and I don't give a rats ass, because its the Smiles Per Gallon.
Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. IMG_1530.PNG

IMG_1530.PNG
How many miles a year do you drive? I do 20k. Let's assume 17 mpg on a JT. And gas at 3.55 per gallon, which is what it is around me. I think 17mpg is on the low side of average for a gladiator, but let's go with it. That's $4176.46 per year in gas. Now let's assume your economy car is a Prius at 55 mpg all around, to make the most extreme example. That's $1290.91 per year.
The savings is $2885.55. that's hardly enough to even pay for a decent economy car, let alone make the gas savings worth it, and that's if you EXCLUSIVELY drive the economy car, and never drive the JT. And I picked the most fuel efficient car I could think of as the economy car. Most aren't close to that efficient.

If you drive a whole lot more than me, or you just want to save the wear and tear, by all means, get a second economy car. But most of us just don't drive enough to make the savings worth it. My wife is looking for a second car because her JK is a 2016 and almost out of extended warranty, so we're trying to keep the miles off. But we'd be lying if we said it would save us money to do so. The car is going to cost more than the savings, and it will need gas and insurance too. It'll also experience wear and tear and need repairs.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I'll fix my math in previous post, my bad. JT cost me $80 a week in fuel (average)
Hyundai VT cost me $20, thats a difference of $3120, yes there is a little maintenance involved with upkeep of my VT. so for the sake of keeping it easy, lets just say $2750 a year in savings.
Tires for my VT are $500 a set, and the JT is $1200 a set, I didn't even factor that in, but 2750 is a lot of add ons. Don't get me wrong, I'm on this forum because I love my Jeep, but at the same time I respect it for what it is. I'm not going to take the chance of some one door dinging it or getting ducked because I'm to proud to drive an economy car for general running around. Car = town, JT = trips out of town. If all you can afford is the JT, wonderful, I get it, enjoy it and I hope to meet you on the trails one day, but if you want Off road parts, and $'s are tight, get an economy car and save $'s, lots of $'s. I love being able to disassemble my truck for weeks on end, during the off season to do maintenance and upgrades on it while not being rushed, but I use my truck as an Off road vehicle (a Jeep) My warranty is going to make it to 36 month mark to. Didn't mean to stir everyone up, just attempting to share what I have learned about extending the life of my JT. Brent Crude Oil just hit $86 a BBL while I typed this. thats double what it was last year at this time, its projected to hit $100 a BBL by X-mas, and I've read projections it will hit $200 BBL by December next year, I'll find the article and attach it. Maybe ya'll are made of $'s or have a money tree in your back yard, but I'm poor(I own a Jeep, ha ha) but its a mathematical no-brainer to have an economy car for everything but jeep stuff. It's your wallet, so keep throwing those fist full of $'s at your ego, I'm not scared, ha ha. When and if we meet, I hope its on a trail and not a paved parking lot.

Link; https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...g-that-oil-will-soar-to-a-record-200-a-barrel

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles a year do you drive? I do 20k. Let's assume 17 mpg on a JT. And gas at 3.55 per gallon, which is what it is around me. I think 17mpg is on the low side of average for a gladiator, but let's go with it. That's $4176.46 per year in gas. Now let's assume your economy car is a Prius at 55 mpg all around, to make the most extreme example. That's $1290.91 per year.
The savings is $2885.55. that's hardly enough to even pay for a decent economy car, let alone make the gas savings worth it, and that's if you EXCLUSIVELY drive the economy car, and never drive the JT. And I picked the most fuel efficient car I could think of as the economy car. Most aren't close to that efficient.

If you drive a whole lot more than me, or you just want to save the wear and tear, by all means, get a second economy car. But most of us just don't drive enough to make the savings worth it. My wife is looking for a second car because her JK is a 2016 and almost out of extended warranty, so we're trying to keep the miles off. But we'd be lying if we said it would save us money to do so. The car is going to cost more than the savings, and it will need gas and insurance too. It'll also experience wear and tear and need repairs.
In Iowa, to have a vehicle that gets very much better than the JT, it would mean a fairly recent vehicle. That means 300-450 or so each year for license. Add insurance and maintenance and, well...........
My tires, according to reviews, etc., should last at least 50,000 miles (some say more) so I'm not concerned about tire wear. My Silverado tires aged out before they wore out.
I have posted imaged from FillUp related to my JT fuel economy - it's not bad at about 20 (18.5 has been my low so far as I recall - at 75 mph)

My wife's WK2 routinely gets 25 or better.
My son's Fusion got 30, I think he says his Compass isn't far behind that.

All-in-all, I can't see not using my JT as a DD - having another vehicle would require space, insurance, expensive annual registration/license, and more.

If I want to save miles on my JT, I'll drive my little Eagle. Slightly better fuel economy and at 40 years old and almost 200,000 miles, I'm not too worried about depreciation on it. No winter driving ever for it, but 8 months out of the year, it's a possible driver. And annual registration/license on it is under 50 bucks.

On the other hand, I REALLY want a copy of the image on the fuel fill door.
Sponsored