Gas mileage is concerning..

RaleighRubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting Grey Gladiator Rubicon
I have just over 1,000 on mine and I am still around 15 mpg. I am hoping what many others have said is true and that it will increase a little as it continues to break in.

...well, until I put my 37"s on.
update: My mileage is showing as improved with 37’s but I haven’t recalibrated the speedometer yet and my suspension isn’t on yet so I’m driving like an old lady. Suspension goes on Monday.
Sponsored

RaleighRubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
update: My mileage is showing as improved with 37’s but I haven’t recalibrated the speedometer yet and my suspension isn’t on yet so I’m driving like an old lady. Suspension goes on Monday. Dealer wanted $350 to calibrate Speedo. Lol. I guess I will be getting a j scan or tazer instead.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
update: My mileage is showing as improved with 37’s but I haven’t recalibrated the speedometer yet and my suspension isn’t on yet so I’m driving like an old lady. Suspension goes on Monday.
Then you can't say it's going up because the numbers will all be bogus - for odometer, etc.
Changing tire sizes and then saying mpg has or even has not changed is like putting less gas in the tank and thinking you are spending less. It's a false sense due to fake numbers.

Go to Fuelly.com and browse for the specific Jeep you have by engine option. Then you'll see what normal really is for these. Most people online give unrealistic numbers.
I've been there and those numbers are crazy low compared to what I am ACTUALLY, REALLY, FACTUALLY getting by doing math over the LONG terms.
My numbers are real - I compare receipts to the app on my phone. It of course will be honest because it's taking 2 factors - fuel put in compared to miles driven. My odometer is spot-on so I know that's correct.
The problem is that people think that if they all buy the same level truck with the same options they'll get the same mpg and that's just plain bull.
My wife drives differently than I do - so with her Jeep she gets better mpg by at least a couple mpg. But when she drives my truck and is in a hurry to get home, my truck mpg drops by 1 to 2 mpg (because of two things - she's proud of the numbers on her Jeep and doesn't give a rip what kind of MPG she gets on mine, she just wants to get home)
As I've said many times - you can't take the exact same truck and get the exact same results with a different driver in a different state on a different day. Ain't gonna happen.

Doesn't mean anyone is lying! My Overland bone stock was blowing away almost all numbers posted in these forums for the 3.6 - but once I made changes, things went south.
I don't understand why people have such a hard time with the science behind all this - elevation, relative humidity, air temperature, WIND WIND WIND, SPEED SPEED SPEED, weight, heavy or light foot and other factors.
Once I get my truck out of Iowa and to some flat ground I get even better mpg, but back on I80 east in Iowa, mpg sucks. Same truck, same driver. Science, logic.

Yeah, I've looked at fuelly.com and I wonder what in the heck are these people doing to get such pissy mpg? Driving like most Jeep owners - a bit like a teen, I suspect, and obvious by their own admission here - driving FAST.
If you choose to drive over 70, or if due to your local conditions you must drive over 70 mph, quitcherbitchen.

My numbers have always been real - because I triple checked my odometer, I track fuel purchases, I do the math AND I use an app to do the same. Over 20 even with A/T tires and over 150 extra pounds on the truck is honest mpg. All stock it was much better.
13.8 towing about 5,000 pounds blows my Silverado away. And that's hand calculated using fuel purchases and math.

If you want to test how accurate the Jeep and apps really are, you could always just do the math the old school way. I used to reset the trip miles every fill up on every Jeep until this one to be able to calculate my actual miles per gallon. I do notice a little variable with the dash display when I do the math instead.
The apps will be spot-on because all they are doing is dividing miles driven since last fill by number of gallons put in the tank. Now if you use a different pump at a different station the truck may sit differently and the nozzle may kick off at a different point, so you may get .5 to 1.0 gallons more or less in with each fill, but over multiple fills, it will be accurate.
Apps can't be wrong because all they do is figure miles driven by your odometer entry and divide by gallons put in. You do the same thing. So if my phone app says I got 20.5 mpg my hand math will be the same.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
I was getting amazing mid 20s on my gasser until I got suspicious and used a speed app on the interstate. The Jeep dealer says the tire size in the computer is wrong and is working with Jeep to update. On my trip to Alabama I averaged 20 at 75 doing Manual calculations... including miles traveled. I have a 1.5 level kit and slightly larger tires than stock. JT Overland. As a Jeep owner of 30 years this is awesome.

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
How one drives is certainly one of the biggest factors on MPG.

I suppose that the older I get, the less I care to drive aggressively.
Pretty much any where I go, there is absolutely no reason to be in any sort of a hurry, so I challenge myself to see how good of MPG I can get. I'll accelerate to road speed in the lightest and smoothest possible process, so long as no one is behind me. Acceleration to road speed is certainly a big contributor to overall MPG for a trip. Then, when traffic will allow, I'll set my cruise right at the speed limit, occasionally 2 over. Even when I come up on traffic that is going slightly slower, I'll remain on cruise and pass them, regardless of how long it takes to get past them. Aggressive drivers behind me seem to really get impatient that I'm not passing faster, but, as I see it...I'm still going faster than the traffic I am passing, so those behind me are just going to have to wait until I can safely get over again. I don't let impatient tailgaters intimidate me to speed up. After all, I am following the law, they are the ones breaking it by speeding and tailgating.
The more I can maintain a constant speed, the better my MPG is. Any braking which then requires the need to apply accelerator will drop it down.
Living in northern Georgia, even the interstate is a constant up and down hills, so the MGP is naturally affected positively down hills and negatively going up the hills. But overall, I think it is probably close to, but most likely slightly lower MPG than if I were to drive on flat roads.
I also found that coasting to stops or slower speeds rather than braking helps a little bit, but not near as much as accelerating with a lighter foot.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah, I've looked at fuelly.com and I wonder what in the heck are these people doing to get such pissy mpg? Driving like most Jeep owners - a bit like a teen, I suspect, and obvious by their own admission here - driving FAST.
If you choose to drive over 70, or if due to your local conditions you must drive over 70 mph, quitcherbitchen.
With almost 1 million miles calculated and counting, I very seriously doubt you can blame the results on teens who drive fast.

In fact, the Fuelly numbers are the most accurate and realistic numbers a person will ever see simply because there's a ton of data, it's coming from Jeeps all over the nation, and it's coming from every use case imaginable. By the shear statistics it's dead nuts accurate. The law of averaging is at play with Fuelly and it's great stuff.

What I saw lifetime with the 3.6L gas engines was about 16 MPG.

With the EcoDiesels (two of them now) I'm at about 22 MPG.

In both cases that lines up very well with Fuelly data.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. Screenshot_20211019-082200

Some of my numbers.......with wider A/T tires and added weight.
Was about 2 to 3 better bone stock.
My numbers don't lie, either. Odometer is spot on.

solfrost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator
On a highway trip I'll average around 20-22mpg (based on consumption), around town it's closer to 16-17mpg -- overall, across 460.972 gallons over my ownership so far I'm averaging 18.4mpg. On highways I tend to be going ~70-80 depending on the area. Usually driving in MD/PA, it's fairly hilly around here.

2020 Overland, got an ARE CX cap on the back. No other really notable modifications from stock, function or weight-wise.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
With almost 1 million miles calculated and counting, I very seriously doubt you can blame the results on teens who drive fast.

In fact, the Fuelly numbers are the most accurate and realistic numbers a person will ever see simply because there's a ton of data, it's coming from Jeeps all over the nation, and it's coming from every use case imaginable. By the shear statistics it's dead nuts accurate. The law of averaging is at play with Fuelly and it's great stuff.

What I saw lifetime with the 3.6L gas engines was about 16 MPG.

With the EcoDiesels (two of them now) I'm at about 22 MPG.

In both cases that lines up very well with Fuelly data.
I find it interesting that fuelly is showing the '21s getting a little better MPG than the '20s. Sample size is pretty small, but there are enough low 20s examples to make those results plausible, especially if one drives mostly highway. Most are getting 15-19 mpg, but there are several getting low 20s, and another several getting 13-14 mpg.

I wish fuelly had an option to show transmission as well as trim and engine.

Screenshot_20211019-100921_Chrome Beta.jpg

RaleighRubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then you can't say it's going up because the numbers will all be bogus - for odometer, etc.
Changing tire sizes and then saying mpg has or even has not changed is like putting less gas in the tank and thinking you are spending less. It's a false sense due to fake numbers.
Yeah, which is why I qualified the statement in the first place.

Sponsored

DJPodratz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Around town, about 19 MPG. On the highway about 23 MPG (at 55 MPH).

I have a manual transmission and am constantly trying to maximize my mileage.

TitanActual

First Name
Holdin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
IT
2700 miles for me and I'm averaging 16 city and 23 highway. Currently averaged at 19.5. My Gladiator is my daily and I try to get whatever mileage I can squeeze out of it. It's a stock Willy's

rdboyd

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 1971 Jeep Cj5
Occupation
Product Development Engineer
Stock Overland with manual transmission - averaging 23 - 24 mpg on the daily drive to work. Round trip mileage on trip from Southern Indiana to Myrtle Beach was 24.5. I drive within 5 mph of the posted speed limit most times.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I've been there and those numbers are crazy low compared to what I am ACTUALLY, REALLY, FACTUALLY getting by doing math over the LONG terms.
you read my mind…

”most people give unrealistic numbers”

so essentially because this driver isn’t getting the same mpg as a mess of other drivers, clearly thayre either lying or inept.

sooo many factors go into gas mileage…which is a topic i kinda feel has been beaten to death. To the point that im sure jeep is considering renaming the gladiator to “the brick” since that’s how its most often referred to online.

Deleted member 39643

Stock Overland with manual transmission - averaging 23 - 24 mpg on the daily drive to work. Round trip mileage on trip from Southern Indiana to Myrtle Beach was 24.5. I drive within 5 mph of the posted speed limit most times.
I get pretty similar with the sport. Mostly highway with very little city. Tonneau cover seems to help a bit. Not great but if you consider that little CUVs dressed up to be offroaders such as the Bronco Sport Badlands gets 23 combined, then it really isn't that bad. Imagine getting under 20 in an economy car that cost the same as our trucks.
Sponsored