First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
The money I save by driving an economy car to & from work and errands around town, literally pays for $2750 of off road upgrades a year. I have a 38 mile round trip drive to work & home. Why in Gods green earth would I want to use my JT as a DD? Jeeps are for off-roading adventure, not the Grocery store, work-parking lots and so on.
Wow. So park the JT and just use it for off-roading a day or maybe two a week?
Must be nice to have lots of money to do that.🤔
So pickups should use be used for work and play and not for everyday use hey?
I didn’t get the memo, nor did many others apparently as I see them
all day on the streets.
Not everything is based on logic and the ultimate practicalitys.
I suppose at lot can depend on how you have your rig configured though, I can see it making sense to a degree if your setup for hardcore wheeling. But not every JT owner is.
Sponsored

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
The most I've EVER gotten on my Gladiator was 18mpg after several hours on the highway. It's back down to 16.3 now which is about my average. Mostly in town and back country roads with speeds of 35-40mph average.

I have heav 35s and a 2" lift.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The 13.9 was when I was towing my car on my car hauler. The car is a 4x4 so sits rather high. In the end, the trailer with car sat higher than the Gladiator did so had to be added drag, plus the almost 5,000 pounds weight back there. That's better than my Chevy ever did towing that car.
20 isn't hard to achieve on mine.

Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. Screenshot_20211019-170053

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
In Iowa, to have a vehicle that gets very much better than the JT, it would mean a fairly recent vehicle. That means 300-450 or so each year for license. Add insurance and maintenance and, well...........
My tires, according to reviews, etc., should last at least 50,000 miles (some say more) so I'm not concerned about tire wear. My Silverado tires aged out before they wore out.
I have posted imaged from FillUp related to my JT fuel economy - it's not bad at about 20 (18.5 has been my low so far as I recall - at 75 mph)

My wife's WK2 routinely gets 25 or better.
My son's Fusion got 30, I think he says his Compass isn't far behind that.

All-in-all, I can't see not using my JT as a DD - having another vehicle would require space, insurance, expensive annual registration/license, and more.

If I want to save miles on my JT, I'll drive my little Eagle. Slightly better fuel economy and at 40 years old and almost 200,000 miles, I'm not too worried about depreciation on it. No winter driving ever for it, but 8 months out of the year, it's a possible driver. And annual registration/license on it is under 50 bucks.

On the other hand, I REALLY want a copy of the image on the fuel fill door.
registration I just paid, with the $10 parks pass was $160
Hyundai is $80-$85 a year, its paid for so INS is liability only at about $40 s month 73,000 miles on it.
JT has 37" tires with 5:13 gears. I live in the Rockies

I've been doing this since I've had my JT (July 4th, 2020), my math is legit. Gas is $3.70-$3.80 as of today. Computer avg. MPG is 13-14, 10mpg or less when pulling my 4k lb trailer. and that seems true when I'm at the pump, paying.

I'll also add, of all the individuals on here, you have my respect.

Alanscott_1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
Stock I was averaging about 19mpg combined on my Mojave. Re-geared with 37s dropped to around 17mpg. 95% of my driving is around town, not much freeway driving for me where I live in NJ.

Recently had to drive down to Texas from Jersey and I’ve been struggling to get 12mpg. Only vehicle I’ve ever owned that gets better city mileage than highway.

Sponsored

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
As others may have said, highly dependent on speed. Here in San Diego County it is hard to drive below 70 and not get runover by old ladies going to church. At 70 my JTR M6 will do 20-21. Below that it improves to about 23 around 60-65. At 75-80 it drops to 18-19. Fair enough for me. Drove through just about the entire state of California, from Oregon to 40 miles short of Mexico, and came out around 20. My JTR just isn't geared or aerodynamically designed for high mileage. I have a '12 Charger with 250k miles on it with the same engine paired with the HP A8. That one still exceeds the 31 mpg sticker. I've registered over 34mpg on that, and about 29-30 mpg driving between 70 and 90 on the 500 miles between San Diego and San Francisco multiple times. Haven't really tested out my '21 Charger, again with the pentastar, but I will soon. However, I will not be driving my Charger down muddy wet gravel roads to get some fresh air.

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
If you want to test how accurate the Jeep and apps really are, you could always just do the math the old school way. I used to reset the trip miles every fill up on every Jeep until this one to be able to calculate my actual miles per gallon. I do notice a little variable with the dash display when I do the math instead.
Funny you mention this... Doing the same to check accuracy. First result: MPG in-dash average was lower than actual by at least 2MPGs! Let's see how the next fill-up comes out. Didn't seem like I was filling it up too often (or at least more than expected). Noticeably better than my old 5.7 Commander which clocked the same numbers.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My JTR just isn't geared or aerodynamically designed for high mileage.
Contradiction in terms - "JTR (or any JT) and "aerodynamic".

Doing the same to check accuracy. First result: MPG in-dash average was lower than actual by at least 2MPGs! Let's see how the next fill-up comes out. Didn't seem like I was filling it up too often (or at least more than expected).
Unless you track it all over time - meaning several tanks, the cluster can show differently if for no other reason as you aren't getting the EXACT same level of fuel put back in every time. The truck measured flow over miles, you depend on how many gallons you get back in.
Different station may mean the truck is slanted or leaning a different way, maybe that nozzle kicks off more easily - or less easily. It can be anywhere from a half to full gallon difference so when doing it by manual math, don't get too excited or too worried for that one tank that seems to get you a lot more or a lot less than the prior tank.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Well I am a bit over a year into mine with 15k miles on it. City I am getting about 16 and highway 20-21. This is with no lift and Rubi take off tires and rims. Driving about 70 Mph on the Highway. City its in the 3-45 mph range

Sponsored

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I just started keeping track a month ago and I think I am getting near the best average I can right now.

Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. 1637242357400

Yesterday, my wife came in to town with me and she ran errands while I was at work. I had just filled up and reported my best tank yet.
She picks me up at the end of the day and the display shows 16mpg.
Granted that near all of my driving is highway and interstate, whereas her entire day was intown, but I know from riding with her that she is heavier on the pedal than I am.
By the time we got back home, which is over an hour away, I was able to raise the mpg back above 19.

SonoranMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Didn't read through the whole thread so don't know if this has already been addressed, but I've noticed the dash mpg is consistently 1/2-1 mpg higher then what I am calculating at the pump. Is that pretty typical?

BTW I am getting between 16-19 mpg with my Mojave on fill ups. Mixed driving, but mostly highway.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I just started keeping track a month ago and I think I am getting near the best average I can right now.

Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. 1637242357400

Yesterday, my wife came in to town with me and she ran errands while I was at work. I had just filled up and reported my best tank yet.
She picks me up at the end of the day and the display shows 16mpg.
Granted that near all of my driving is highway and interstate, whereas her entire day was intown, but I know from riding with her that she is heavier on the pedal than I am.
By the time we got back home, which is over an hour away, I was able to raise the mpg back above 19.
If I don't do any highway driving my MPG pretty much stays at around 16 MPG for city. This figure has been pretty solid for almost a year or more now. I am not heavy footed and only thing I changed was the stock tires to Rubicon take offs along with flip fold bed cover and Arcus Front Bumper

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Im either in town or where speed limit is 65mph or more.

If I were to post on the: What did you do TO your Gladiator today thread it basically would be:

I put gas in it.:CWL:
Sponsored