Gasser real world fuel economy

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
Over the 14k I’ve had my jtr manual with a tonneau cover, 315s on aev saltra xr’s, arb stubby and a warn winch I’m getting 18 mpg. Daily drive is roughly 60miles a day doing around 55 to 60 mph.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
2300 miles so far, Rubicon, Manual Trans, with the Mud Terrain tires. I'm getting about 16.5 mpg, and it does seem to slowly be improving. I'm not sure if that's due to engine break in or me getting used to the shift points on the truck. That's with a commute up and over the mountain, and some stop and go traffic in the mornings. Mpg is much better on highway trips though. I still haven't reached the 23 mpg these are rated at, but I suspect that's at flat 55 mph, and with AT tires, and 3.73 gears. It's strange how they rate the Rubis with 4.1 gears and 33s the same as the other models with 3.73s and 31s.

Anyway, not too bad, considering the hills around here. About 19 or so on the highway at 70-75 mph.

Last edited:

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Apparently mine forgot to break in and get better fuel economy

I have 23k miles and I’m always being told I drive slow as $&?!. I do not go over the speed limit and as of right now I’m avg 15.7mpg for the 23k miles.

I swear something isnt right..stock I was getting 17mpg. It hates anything over 60mph

My brother has the same model with 305’s and he gets 20mpg going 70mph

I hit 65 and I’m looking at 14-15.

May need to take advantage of this trade in deal.
What model, trans, gears, any mods?

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
@Toyfrog see my signature block. I added the suspension, 35's and winch late last summer. With stock gearing "3.73's" and the 35's I never saw 8th gear, spent most time in 6th unless going down hill, very strong tailwind, then it would slip in 7th only to go back to 6th if one of the earlier mention things didn't happen. I installed 4.56 gears this past Feb timeframe. MPG's did not improve like I was hoping but it certainly stays in 8th now unless an incline or strong head wind at speed.

Im guessing its not bad as it seems but with La. being relatively flat and my brother having a Sport S JT "3.73's" as well and his got better milage than mine when I was stock and he had JTR suspension and 305's.

That just never set right with me. We both use cruise a lot.

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
@Toyfrog see my signature block. I added the suspension, 35's and winch late last summer. With stock gearing "3.73's" and the 35's I never saw 8th gear, spent most time in 6th unless going down hill, very strong tailwind, then it would slip in 7th only to go back to 6th if one of the earlier mention things didn't happen. I installed 4.56 gears this past Feb timeframe. MPG's did not improve like I was hoping but it certainly stays in 8th now unless an incline or strong head wind at speed.

Im guessing its not bad as it seems but with La. being relatively flat and my brother having a Sport S JT "3.73's" as well and his got better milage than mine when I was stock and he had JTR suspension and 305's.

That just never set right with me. We both use cruise a lot.
Dumb question, but I’m sure you recalibrated for the mods so the computer knows what’s going on?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Looks like most guys in here are being pretty honest about their MPG, unlike the guys in the diesel sections of the forums.

The P-star is a 16-17 MPG engine in these trucks with light to mild modifications.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Dumb question, but I’m sure you recalibrated for the mods so the computer knows what’s going on?
Yeah, its JScan'd and within +/- .5mph, best I could do...set for 4.56 gearing as well. I do like the gearing though...so much better than the 3.73's.

@WXman

I certainly feel better with you saying that. Weird how some just get better mpg's though... IE my brother. I ride with him and seriously its like WTF!? I guess those little front bumper wings help more than you'd thing, lol...he still has his on. "shrug"

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah, its JScan'd and within +/- .5mph, best I could do...set for 4.56 gearing as well. I do like the gearing though...so much better than the 3.73's.

@WXman

I certainly feel better with you saying that. Weird how some just get better mpg's though... IE my brother. I ride with him and seriously its like WTF!? I guess those little front bumper wings help more than you'd thing, lol...he still has his on. "shrug"
Yeah those do matter. I remember when I took mine off and installed the aftermarket bumper, I could literally feel the added wind drag. It was weird. MPG decreased on my weekly commute too.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping my new tonneau cover will help some, but I've seen studies where that can go in any direction. Some trucks show increase, some show decrease, and on some, it seems to have no effect. Oh well at least my stuff is covered.

gonzoy5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Don't have recorded stats, but I observe my mileage all the time. I'm in a stock JTR Automatic. Here's my experiences in flat, trafficky South Florida:
  • Short drives to the store/school all week long - 12-14mpg
  • Flowing city commutes (10 or so miles)- 17-19mpg
  • Flowing Highway commutes (50-65 speeds) 19-23mpg depending on congestion
  • Gridlock - Don't even bother looking
  • Highway trips (70mph plus) VERY Wind dependent 16-18 on headwind days, 20-22 tailwind days. Shoebox aerodynamics will do that :D
  • Loaded Up for camping trips - Same as above because I keep everything in bed or rack below the roof line. Just did 2100 mile adventure trip from SFL to Ga and NC and back and ended with trip avg of 19.1. Worst section was coming back on the rolling highways of SC, fuel eco really dipped there, probably would have been closer to 20 otherwise.
Hope this helps!

Sponsored

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Stock JT HA (20 inch wheels) 750 miles on odometer and getting 15.9 mpg (gas) on the computer display. This is mostly city driving, short trips of a less than 5 miles a day.

Last edited:

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
315/70R17 BFG KO2 and a Level kit on mammoth 9.5inch wide wheels. 3.73 rear end gears.

I get 15-16.5 in the city. Hwy Ive been getting almost twenty. Taking my first road trip this weekend, hoping to have better numbers.

OP
OP

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
So... Not a datapoint to add to the spreadsheet exactly, but I've been following this and ruminating a bit. Personally, I don't feel great about any vehicle making less than 20mpg. There's no rhyme or reason to it, just kinda makes me feel bad. My diesel Bison obviously beats that, but it's sold and on its way out the door. I never really looked at the fuel economy of any of the gassers until I started considering the Gladiator, and I'm not happy with the 16-17 I'm seeing here.

That said, what has eased my mind considerably in my car buying research is going and looking at the competition. The gas Colorado is the lowest, I think it was the Tacoma or Ridgeline that's the highest (I might not have included the Ridgeline in my search at that point for obvious reasons, but if I did, it was the Ridgeline and the Tacoma falls in with everyone else). The spread is something like 3mpg top to bottom, with all but the outliers at 19mpg EPA rating. So, the Gladiator is smack in the middle AVERAGE for fuel economy by that metric.

Of course, people's mileage is literally varying here, and that seems to come down very clearly to modifications, environment, and driving behavior. I have a good feel for ZR2 fuel economy, coming from that world as I do, and then there's this thread here. So I went and looked at the Tacoma forums (the only other possible, but not really, contender). They're in the same boat. Similarly modified Tacomas are getting MAYBE 1 mpg better on average, but we know if you put a Gladiator and Tacoma modified to the same degree from stock (measured by dollars and effort), the Gladiator will win every time on every metric.

So, that brings us down to the primary factors for mpg being degree of modifications, environment, and driving behavior. To wit, my wife's DD (and mine until the Gladiator comes home) is a manual JKUR. She is not as interested in modifying her Jeep as I am, so modifications have mostly been for usability rather than performance. She runs 33" tires in the winter (calibrated via AEV dumaflache), and is about to replace her factory tires from wear at about 80K on the clock (35s may be in her near future, but it's not my call). Her combined mpg is 21-22 mpg (depending on season), and I tend to beat her by 1-2 mpg when I drive. I went and looked at mpg averages for JKURs, and lo and behold, 16-17mpg. JL to JK EPA rating is +1, I guess for aero improvements, and JL to JT is the same (for aero un-improvements).

Connecting the dots, since the delta from JK to JL is the same/reverse as the delta from JL to JT, I should be looking at a very similar situation. JKUR 31-33 change in tires is about the same as the change from 33-35 on the JTR, so I should be looking at a similar situation there as well. Jeep is one of the few manufacturers whose automatic transmission programming doesn't net better fuel economy than the manual at this point in the game, so that costs me 1 mpg in this analysis (I need the truck for truck things, and the auto is necessary to get those numbers). That should essentially erase the benefits I gain from my driving habits/style relative to my wife's. So... Once we're back to more or less exclusively driving our respective vehicles, we should get about the same mpg, which is above my 20 mpg pain point ASSUMING no engine build QC issues or other unknown unknowns.

I know that's a lot, and it's topic adjacent, but seemed like it might be worth sharing/discussing/getting out there for anyone in a similar situation.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep is one of the few manufacturers whose automatic transmission programming doesn't net better fuel economy than the manual at this point in the game, so that costs me 1 mpg in this analysis (I need the truck for truck things, and the auto is necessary to get those numbers).
There are several manual versions of cars that still get better than the auto equivalent, but usually it's so close, it doesn't matter anymore. My last car was a manual 2019 VW GLI, where the manual got better mpg. My wife's vehicle is a manual 2018 jeep compass, which also gets better mpg than the auto, and before that I had a WRX STI, and although the STI only comes in manual, the regular WRX gets better mpg in manual compared to auto. Usually these days, the difference is only 1 mpg though, so not enough to really matter, but it's definitely not a rule (yet) that auto gets better mpg. It really depends on the gear ratios chosen by the manufacturer (for EPA ratings; real life depends on the driver too)

Last edited:

CWGrisw0ld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Rubicon JKU, 2020 Jeep Rubicon JT
3.5" lift, 37" tires, 5.13 and only around town driving: 13.4 mpg :(
Sponsored