Sponsored

Gasser real world fuel economy

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
I drive normally, but I don’t gun it or slam on my brakes. So I go the speed of traffic but I’m not racing up to it

Some of you guys are mileage monsters. Driving like a granny, I can get up to 14.5mpg max on 37x12.5x17 toyo rt. Otherwise it's 13 to 13.5. Thats mixer highway and city.. She's about 2 months old and have about 2500 miles on her.
Trail recon had a guy on his Gladiator MPG regear video that claims he averaged 20mpg on his JL on 40” tires. No racks or lights to reduce aero though.

also, my Rubi is getting over mpg average and not dropping despite my heavy city driving. I do use ESS and slowly accelerate/ brake early

Ouch...

I have a 2021 Mojave with ~2000 miles on stock MTs:
Normal everyday driving is a whopping 13.8ish...
Highway centric driving with an average of 75 mph, I see 15.7ish...

Coming from a 2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Limited...which consistently was getting 14.7ish normal driving and 17+ish for highway. Needless to say, I am disappointed with the efficiency of my new Jeep! LOL (I still absolutely love this truck)
Mine averaged 13 mpg for the first 140ish miles including a 70 mile freeway trip home. Now I’m easily getting over 16 mpg and a tad over 17 driving calmly.

My Mojave started picking up after 2000 miles. Got about 17-18 average. Just put bigger tires on it and just had the dealership reprogram the computer about 20 minutes ago. Anxious to see what it shows now. Was showing 16 before program. Only have 2600 miles on the truck so far. Wonder if it get better with more miles? Some are saying they are averaging 20+?
Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
2020 with Cap and bedslide ( about 260#) , 35" tires and 488 gearing . 15 MPG in winter, 16 MPG in summer. Highway or around town...doesn't matter.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I've got a Sport S 3.73s on Rubicon tires, my Trip meter has about 9500 miles on it and is showing 18.5 MPG average. That said I spend a lot of time on 55 MPH roads with cruise control on. A tailwind yesterday had me getting up to 34 MPG on the drive home.

Jeep Newbie

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Real Estate
I'm so confused. I'm running a '21 Willys with the stock 255/70/17 BFG Mud Terrains. I have approx 3800 miles on it. I don't baby it, but I'm not a jack rabbit off the line either. My avg speed on the Hwy is 80 (hypothetically lol). I've been averaging 17.5-20 MPG on Costco 87 octane. I don't think that is horrible considering the tires are quite aggressive. (waiting for the Ridge Grapplers to come back in-stock to switch tires and rims). I also see posts on here complaining that it's a slug. Either I got lucky or you guys are used to driving 1/4 miles rockets as daily drivers. I find mine extremely peppy and nimble. (and my previous truck was a '18 GMC with the 6.2 in it.). Just my opinion. I'm extremely happy with my ride.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Pretty stupid of me but...
Running around without caring, doing 75 on highway, with the HikeIT in Auto mode, so fairly sporty: 17mpg
Hikeit in Eco mode, being careful and limiting myself to 68mph: 23.5mpg
Damn that's a big difference! Like almost 100 miles per tank.
stock overland with 33" Rubicon rims and tires.

Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I just picked mine up, but the engine and drivetrain truly have a break in period. The first 120 or so miles, the MPG was horrible, 16 highway tops, which was giving me buyers remorse on not getting the diesel. Now at 300 miles mpg seems to be as expected.

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Just turned 3k on my Mojave, added 315/70/17 and had dealer recalibrate the computer for the bigger tires. Am getting 17.7-18 with about 60/40 Hwy/city. I keep it about 65-70 on the Hwy.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Max Tow Sport S with Yakima load rack and faring slid to the back, truck ladder rack, hard bed cover and avg about extra 200lbs with bed additions and bike stuff. Stock wheels and tires 245x75x17.

-Normal 70 mph easy acceleration interstate driving = 21mpg. That is best and I think with 33” tires I would beat that a little maybe 22-23 because of low 4:10 gearing in the Max Tow.
-My style quick accelerations on ramp, 75 mph flow of traffic... P.S. no governed speed on the MT.
= 16 - 17.5 mpg
- towing 6500 lbs at 65mph interstate through mountains elevation changes 1000 ft, 500 lbs in the bed.
= 16mpg
- towing 1500 to 1800lbs, 500 lbs in the bed at 70 mph, interstate elevation changes 1000ft = 18 mpg

OP
OP

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
A factoid I recently learned that applies to this conversation: "highway", per the EPA ratings cycle, is driving without a bunch of stops. A "highway" can be 35 mph as long as there are no stoplights, stop signs, or stop and go traffic. As a result, I rarely get above 45mph in my daily drive, but because of where I live (no lights and a max of two stop signs just about anywhere between me and any destination), my driving is nearly 100% highway. That's not to say they set the mpg ratings at 35 or anything, but it seems the biggest contributor to the decreased city side of it is stop and go. So people saying they're 60/40 city/highway may want to give pause and reconsider their perceived driving mix. Might help us narrow things down a bit in terms of accuracy.

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
A factoid I recently learned that applies to this conversation: "highway", per the EPA ratings cycle, is driving without a bunch of stops. A "highway" can be 35 mph as long as there are no stoplights, stop signs, or stop and go traffic. As a result, I rarely get above 45mph in my daily drive, but because of where I live (no lights and a max of two stop signs just about anywhere between me and any destination), my driving is nearly 100% highway. That's not to say they set the mpg ratings at 35 or anything, but it seems the biggest contributor to the decreased city side of it is stop and go. So people saying they're 60/40 city/highway may want to give pause and reconsider their perceived driving mix. Might help us narrow things down a bit in terms of accuracy.
I live just south of Houston and work in Houston, we have stop and go on the Hwy 24/7. I would give anything to not have to hit the breaks until I got to work. 😂

Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
5000 miles on a stock Sport S - averaged around 18-20 mpg depending on city or highway.

Last month I put on 285/75 Toyo Open Country AT3's and recalibrated. I'm now getting right at 17 mpg.

That being said, I do not trust the reading from the factory. When I went to adjust the tire height it was already a good 1.5" over what it should have been set at. Makes me want to start calling shenanigans. I figure the computer was over calculating miles driven by ~7% from the get go.
This sounds about right. I have a Sport S Willys and have the stock Willys wheels with 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and I’m averaging 17 mpg and that’s with me really babying my JT on the interstate locking in on cruise no more than 71 mph. When I go much faster the real world MPG really plummets.

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
I'm getting 17 mpg combo city / hwy average on my 2021 Mojave. I tested the mpg with cruise control on a flatish hwy trip last week for 300 miles. And I did acheive 22 mpg, and that was cruise control set at 70 mph. Which surprisingly was better than set at 65 mph cruise control.

But, I digress. In my past experiences a drivetrain isn't fully broken in until 5,000 miles.
I expect to get better gas mileage once I get there. Current odometer is at 1,500 miles.

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
This sounds about right. I have a Sport S Willys and have the stock Willys wheels with 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and I’m averaging 17 mpg and that’s with me really babying my JT on the interstate locking in on cruise no more than 71 mph. When I go much faster the real world MPG really plummets.
Next time you fill up, reset your trip meter to zero.
Then the following next time you fill up take note of the gallons.
Divide your trip meter miles by the gallons it took to fill up, and you've got true mpg.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Next time you fill up, reset your trip meter to zero.
Then the following next time you fill up take note of the gallons.
Divide your trip meter miles by the gallons it took to fill up, and you've got true mpg.
I did today. My computer was reading 17.2 mpg and my calculated MPG based on gallons filled and miles on my trip odometer came out to 16.4 mpg. I’ve still got a ways to go (4,300 miles) to reach your sweet spot of 5,000 miles to break in a drivetrain. I’ve been a Jeep guy my entire adult life so I’m not disappointed nor concerned about my mpg. My Jeeps have always given me more smiles per gallon than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Apparently mine forgot to break in and get better fuel economy

I have 23k miles and I’m always being told I drive slow as $&?!. I do not go over the speed limit and as of right now I’m avg 15.7mpg for the 23k miles.

I swear something isnt right..stock I was getting 17mpg. It hates anything over 60mph

My brother has the same model with 305’s and he gets 20mpg going 70mph

I hit 65 and I’m looking at 14-15.

May need to take advantage of this trade in deal.
Sponsored