Get ready to get reamed....

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I'm indifferent to it all. What bothers me, is that today "rape" is wrong, so we stop using it, then it will be "reamed" because it can be interpreted as the same thing, and then it will be another word. So you end up offending people because you can't keep up with them.

PC culture is what it is, my intention is not to offend, but I can't help it if you are. Like I said, the "offensive" words change, and what once was ok to use, becomes off limits.
Sponsored

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
I'm indifferent to it all. What bothers me, is that today "rape" is wrong, so we stop using it, then it will be "reamed" because it can be interpreted as the same thing, and then it will be another word. So you end up offending people because you can't keep up with them.

PC culture is what it is, my intention is not to offend, but I can't help it if you are. Like I said, the "offensive" words change, and what once was ok to use, becomes off limits.
Not without good reason though. Is there a word you really wanted to use that you can't anymore? Is that word genuinely not problematic? I can't think of any.

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Not without good reason though. Is there a word you really wanted to use that you can't anymore? Is that word genuinely not problematic? I can't think of any.
It's not that there is a word I want to use and can't, that's not what, for lack of a better word, bothers me about the word changes, but the perception that you're ignorant or whatever for using a word you thought was ok, but isn't anymore and you didn't know.

I'll use an example, that in Canada, with regards to indigenous people. At one point in time it was Indian, then that was no good, so it became native, or aboriginal. Eventually I feel we're going to run out of words. I'm not suggesting we go back to 1908 and start using savages again, but It seems after a while, someone finds a reason to find the term or word of the day as wrong and offensive, so we have to change it all up again.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Nope. I'm rarely offended. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I'm just someone who teaches for a living and believes that words matter.
as I posted earlier it appears like half the people are always offended about something and the rest of us wonder why because it seems to be a moving target....

thanks for an honest response

Sponsored

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM

I don’t want to get too political on this super cool forum, but. You have a right to be offended. I can’t stop you from being offended by what I say, but, I have the right to express myself, freely. Don’t infringe on my right to free speech, because you have a thin skin...not my problem. This is not directed towards you, just my general feeling on the subject. ... now back to gladiators, :0)

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
It's not that there is a word I want to use and can't, that's not what, for lack of a better word, bothers me about the word changes, but the perception that you're ignorant or whatever for using a word you thought was ok, but isn't anymore and you didn't know.

I'll use an example, that in Canada, with regards to indigenous people. At one point in time it was Indian, then that was no good, so it became native, or aboriginal. Eventually I feel we're going to run out of words. I'm not suggesting we go back to 1908 and start using savages again, but It seems after a while, someone finds a reason to find the term or word of the day as wrong and offensive, so we have to change it all up again.
I think you answered your own predicament there... I hope I didn't cause any unwanted uneasiness with my post - I just said that the title made me uncomfortable and I wasn't "triggered" by any means. Having seen all these posts from a bunch of you guys, I just believe you are all good and reasonable/smart people so I don't take umbrage to anything being said. I just don't see any harm but progress in the way we use our words as our society advances... there is nothing wrong with that and it is actually something that should be applauded. Not to mention, I learned so much from you folks at this forum and saved $$ for my purchase of the LE...

To reply to your analogy - I am actually Indian American (From southeast Asia heritage but born in Ohio), I always used to take umbrage to the reference that any native indigenous people were called Indian :), because my ancestors were Indian and still are Indian from India... and if it takes stumbling across a bunch of other "labels" until you find the right one that is respectful to the party that is addressed then kudos to that no ? It's the laziness of labeling people without understanding their culture that used to piss me off... In any case, I don't want to derail this thread to any political or anthropological conversation and please let's get back to Jeeps and Gladiators as I have so much to learn to get my Gladiator ready for MOAB next year and the mods to do for off-roading :LOL:

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I actually always thought like that growing up. I never understood back then why people called Natives, Indians. I have roots in India as well and used to think it was weird. Later in life I learned that the only reason people called them Indians was because Christopher Columbus thought he was in India when he arrived.

I do get people not being ok with using the word raped, as they or someone they know could have been in that situation as well, but I think it was asked politely and it was changed. No big deal. Honestly people can post whatever they want, if someone is bothered enough about it they speak up. If it’s respectable how they speak up I think it’s all gravy. I myself hate when people use he word cancer as a joke, or to describe things due to a personal experience of it. But it doesn’t mean I’d get upset if someone used it, I understand people’s views on things, and if I think someone crossed the line we are all old enough to have a intellectual discussion. I’m actually glad people on here have an open mind to understand that.

But anyways back on topic, in Ontario at least they are charging $8500 -10k over sticker for the incoming Gladiators they have. My suggestion is we can make a tread of dealerships that are price gouging on Gladiators and those that are not.

I think you answered your own predicament there... I hope I didn't cause any unwanted uneasiness with my post - I just said that the title made me uncomfortable and I wasn't "triggered" by any means. Having seen all these posts from a bunch of you guys, I just believe you are all good and reasonable/smart people so I don't take umbrage to anything being said. I just don't see any harm but progress in the way we use our words as our society advances... there is nothing wrong with that and it is actually something that should be applauded. Not to mention, I learned so much from you folks at this forum and saved $$ for my purchase of the LE...

To reply to your analogy - I am actually Indian American (From southeast Asia heritage but born in Ohio), I always used to take umbrage to the reference that any native indigenous people were called Indian :), because my ancestors were Indian and still are Indian from India... and if it takes stumbling across a bunch of other "labels" until you find the right one that is respectful to the party that is addressed then kudos to that no ? It's the laziness of labeling people without understanding their culture that used to piss me off... In any case, I don't want to derail this thread to any political or anthropological conversation and please let's get back to Jeeps and Gladiators as I have so much to learn to get my Gladiator ready for MOAB next year and the mods to do for off-roading :LOL:

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I actually always thought like that growing up. I never understood back then why people called Natives, Indians. I have roots in India as well and used to think it was weird. Later in life I learned that the only reason people called them Indians was because Christopher Columbus thought he was in India when he arrived.

I do get people not being ok with using the word raped, as they or someone they know could have been in that situation as well, but I think it was asked politely and it was changed. No big deal. Honestly people can post whatever they want, if someone is bothered enough about it they speak up. If it’s respectable how they speak up I think it’s all gravy. I myself hate when people use he word cancer as a joke, or to describe things due to a personal experience of it. But it doesn’t mean I’d get upset if someone used it, I understand people’s views on things, and if I think someone crossed the line we are all old enough to have a intellectual discussion. I’m actually glad people on here have an open mind to understand that.

But anyways back on topic, in Ontario at least they are charging $8500 -10k over sticker for the incoming Gladiators they have. My suggestion is we can make a tread of dealerships that are price gouging on Gladiators and those that are not.

Last point on the non-gladiator topic. I just wish context was taken in to account and the way a word is being used, rather than just the words and what it might be associated with. I guess that's the point I really wanted to get across, but yea, all good.

Anyways, back to gladiator, I'm not surprised dealers are trying to take advantage of the situation and make as much as they can. Would be nice to have a Canadian thread on dealers that are being easier to deal with and a bit closer. Despite a handful of dealers who have posted here selling below msrp or invoice, it seems the best people might be able to get, will be msrp or just below.

Some have said fca will not offer incentives or honour incentives like tread lightly. Does that have an impact or change the fact that some dealers had said they would honour them and sell below invoice?

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM
Last point on the non-gladiator topic. I just wish context was taken in to account and the way a word is being used, rather than just the words and what it might be associated with. I guess that's the point I really wanted to get across, but yea, all good.

Anyways, back to gladiator, I'm not surprised dealers are trying to take advantage of the situation and make as much as they can. Would be nice to have a Canadian thread on dealers that are being easier to deal with and a bit closer. Despite a handful of dealers who have posted here selling below msrp or invoice, it seems the best people might be able to get, will be msrp or just below.

Some have said fca will not offer incentives or honour incentives like tread lightly. Does that have an impact or change the fact that some dealers had said they would honour them and sell below invoice?
I wouldn’t worry about it too much, after you visit a dealership and buy a new car, sometimes, your wallet does feel raped. Just saying, it is what it is. You buy it, or you don’t. Lol.
Sponsored