Sponsored

Gladiator bent frame offroading with trailer? Why do you think this happened?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what Ford had to say when the Raptors were having issues. https://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21...h7JOHhxZ_YORsqPJ0aamNjEBqXYwiSPtyKGDzainXv5WP

As has been said: The combination of too much speed and an obstacle bent the frame. And more weight would exacerbate (accelerate) it.

Hameedi: Basically, the core – the root cause – is that the vehicle is traveling too fast for the obstacle, and the truck is running out of travel. By a large margin. They're going too fast for the obstacle by a large margin. The frame is not the first item to yield in that condition – despite what's been theorized, the first thing when you do exceed the vehicle's travel capability [is that] you have a certain safety zone where you will hit the bump stop and nothing will happen. If you hit that same obstacle at an even faster speed, then you will yield the jounce bumper cup – that's the little piece of steel that holds the jounce bumper. If you hit that same obstacle at an even greater speed, then the next thing to go is the frame.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Bigger wheels didn't help any.

Looks like "Federal" on the tires - what tires are they?

Also, in this pic it's hard to tell what's going on with the hitch. It almost looks like a bumper hitch? Or maybe he could have been running an extension in the receiver hitch - can't really tell but based on the bent frame, and the wheels and tires there's likely a LOT more going on with this Gladiator. #notgladiator

c_oc=AQkoo8YmmQOK8kXZ_krvakLaM8WRCVkFBjrpnz0Hl74EFldsEsoW547KGo2Xiw5vU6M&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.jpg

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine a teeter-totter. Now, think about the rear axle being the fulcrum in the middle of this teeter-totter; the trailer on the left and the cab on the right. Now, as you drive up and over a steep incline, the cab side of the fulcrum has the leverage, and the trailer is hanging from the hitch.

upload_2020-3-11_0-31-25.png

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Just like with the Raptors some company will come out with a kit that will bolt to both sides of the frame rails. These worked on the Ford Raptors. They are simply plates of steel cut to the contour of the frame rails then bolted to the frame rail one kit even had a metal bar from one frame rail to the other. The install looked clean and they worked and they were not expensive, under $500 if i remember right.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, this isn't a problem on the Gladiator and it won't be one going forward. These aren't Raptors to begin with (and neither is the Mojave). While there's no shortage of people willing to do stupid things, there will be far fewer Gladiator frame bending incidents than the Raptor had.

And while I get the teeter-totter, stupidity in modding and driving, with a trailer, had more to do with this incident than anything else.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just like with the Raptors some company will come out with a kit that will bolt to both sides of the frame rails. These worked on the Ford Raptors. They are simply plates of steel cut to the contour of the frame rails then bolted to the frame rail one kit even had a metal bar from one frame rail to the other. The install looked clean and they worked and they were not expensive, under $500 if i remember right.

Good systems for the Raptors start at $1,000 and go way past there...

Gen_2_Raptor_Adjustable_Bump_System_11_1800x1800.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.33.14 AM.png

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Bigger wheels didn't help any.

Looks like "Federal" on the tires - what tires are they?

Also, in this pic it's hard to tell what's going on with the hitch. It almost looks like a bumper hitch? Or maybe he could have been running an extension in the receiver hitch - can't really tell but based on the bent frame, and the wheels and tires there's likely a LOT more going on with this Gladiator. #notgladiator

c_oc=AQkoo8YmmQOK8kXZ_krvakLaM8WRCVkFBjrpnz0Hl74EFldsEsoW547KGo2Xiw5vU6M&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.jpg

Has anyone noticed the different hood as well? It looks somewhat like the new Mojave’s but I’m wondering if there has been an engine swap or something else to give this truck more HP....

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I more interested in the color. Is that a wrap?

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone noticed the different hood as well? It looks somewhat like the new Mojave’s but I’m wondering if there has been an engine swap or something else to give this truck more HP....
Based on the tire and wheel compo I think this JT was modified by South Florida Jeeps and that is one of there hoods. May or may not have an engine swap.

ftwg59cl3o341.jpg

khokhonutt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Oh man i was concerned about this because i'm new to jeeps and i'm getting a camper for the first time soon. However, it sounds like it was a combination of mods and dumbassery so yes, now i'm even more worried.
Aside from being smart about your trailer choice, it's weight and the load you're going to carry that's key to your success when towing. With that in mind, I'd suggest investing in a tongue weight scale.

I've said since I first saw this series of pictures that I'd like to know the tongue weight of that trailer. The trailer itself could be light and well within parameters, but the wheels being so far towards the ass end would be a concern to me. It would be easy to load up the box and area in front of the sleeping area and be way over recommended tongue weight.

Four rules of thumb I try to follow with trailers that I plan to pull for any distance:
  1. Avoid a trailer that's significantly longer than your tow vehicle.
  2. Avoid a trailer that's more than 50% of the manufacturer's tow rating.
  3. Know your trailer's loaded weight and set the tongue weight accordingly (10% to 15% of the trailer weight).
  4. If your trailer is anything larger than a utility trailer, use trailer brakes and a brake controller.
Bonus rule, don't drive like a fool. Lots of things are different about towing versus not towing.
Sponsored