Sponsored

Gladiator Diesel Bottoming Out Poll - Let’s get some numbers here.

If your Gladiator bottoms out on pothole/bumps, what model do you have?

• Total voters

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
This reminds me that one of the reasons there isn't a Mojave diesel is the extra frame strengthening it would take to make a diesel be able to do "Mojave" things.
The diesel didn't go into the Mojave due to cooling issues.
Well on my drive home from Gupton, my JTRD definitely hit the bump stops in places it shouldn't have so I guess I'm in the group.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well on my drive home from Gupton, my JTRD definitely hit the bump stops in places it shouldn't have so I guess I'm in the group.
How are a Mojave's cooling needs any different from any other Gladiator's??

Hint - they all have much more cooling capacity than they will ever need without a trailer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why would that matter? The Sport has max tow and carries more load than a Mojave - taxing the cooling system more than a Mojave (unless you consider the Mojave was aimed at sand and desert (which reminds me of dessert and I'm hungry)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I was told that the diesel didn't go into the Mojave for the same reason the diesel didn't go into the Power Wagon. The weight contradicts the purpose of the vehicle.

GoFastGoFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX L2 Billet, 2021 JLU Willy's , 2020 X5 G05
OK ladies and gents.. So after over a month of having my Glad at the dealer .. a Jeep Field engineer has driven and verified the issue.. oddly enough.. there is an impending TSB regarding this issue with replacement parts. Though that's all I know. No time frame on the TSB or the parts availability. Will keep all of you posted..

I am still up in the air about how to handle this situation.. really..

Sponsored

OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
OK ladies and gents.. So after over a month of having my Glad at the dealer .. a Jeep Field engineer has driven and verified the issue.. oddly enough.. there is an impending TSB regarding this issue with replacement parts. Though that's all I know. No time frame on the TSB or the parts availability. Will keep all of you posted..

FCA should address this quick. There are a lot of us, so I don’t see that happening. @JeepCares can you assist with getting that TSB #?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wait, so your Gladiator has been sitting at a dealer for a month because of a bottoming out complaint? That's insane.

Did you detail this in this thread? (I haven't looked through all 6 pages)

I'd have taken it back and told them to let me know when they have a fix. Unless they gave me a TRX loaner. ha.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told that the diesel didn't go into the Mojave for the same reason the diesel didn't go into the Power Wagon. The weight contradicts the purpose of the vehicle.
I think that's marketing fluff.

But if you assume that the Mojave has been strengthen to survive "jumps" and stuff like that. Then it would need to be strengthened even more to do the same things with an extra 400 lbs hanging off the nose. (best guess. I'm not sure of the extra weight).

This creates engineering challenges.
1) you need to test with the diesel under the same conditions
2) if you strengthen parts already strengthened for the Mojave is it going to reveal other weaknesses.

Financial considerations:
1) is the volume going to be enough to justify the effort.
2) how much of that volume comes from people who would otherwise buy a different Gladiator, so its not really helping at all anyway.

GoFastGoFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX L2 Billet, 2021 JLU Willy's , 2020 X5 G05
I am actually really pissed that they were working on a TSB.. and didn't say anything.. just letting us all sit here and wonder why we have a Jeep that isn't a
Wait, so your Gladiator has been sitting at a dealer for a month because of a bottoming out complaint? That's insane.

I'd have taken it back and told them to let me know when they have a fix. Unless they gave me a TRX loaner. ha.
Yes they have had it for about 37 days lol.. Jeep literally finally sent someone to validate today.. even though dealership was pushing jeep for answers.. jeep retention and star were twiddling their thumbs.

Jeeps contact during last 4 weeks was absolutely terrible.. the dealership however was calling me every couple days to let me know they hadn't heard from Jeep.. I left like 15 messages on retention rep voicemail . To barely get any responses..

JeepBeerSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Comms
Sounds like an agreeable rectification of the problem to me...
Mine is a sport s there is a small dip near me on a 35mph road. I don't dare hit it at the posted speed in my JTD. My wife's nissan pathfinder I barely notice the dip. If a lift is the solution and it's covered I'd be agreeable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer

Unreal, right? Jeep knows this is a problem and have been working with some customers while keeping everyone in the dark about it. Shady.

HighTork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2022 Outback Wilderness
I installed the Mopar lift on my JTRD 2 weeks ago.. no more bottoming out here. Hit the trails Sunday up in Citrus for half the day and still no bottoming out during some light wheeling. I changed my vote accordingly. Hopefully they get this issue squared away for you guys soon.

edit- I had also installed the Terraflex Jounce/Bump stops as well.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unreal, right? Jeep knows this is a problem and have been working with some customers while keeping everyone in the dark about it. Shady.
That is insane. I'm sorry for you. I hope you got a decent loaner.

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Tip - you'll need to keep this thread very visible as unless it's in the "recent posts" or hottest threads, etc. - someone not here for a couple of days may not see it, and those who have no problems may not see it, skewing your results.
People will only search for "diesel bottoming out" if they have the problem.
I don't normally like "bumps" for the sake of bumping - but keeping a poll like this at the top where all can see it is key to your getting the best true numbers.

Good luck (honestly) - and WXMan has a great post - a couple of details regardless of if you do have the problem or not may help diesel JT owners get a solution that much faster!
Very true.
And also added to the list of things to avoid on a regular street ....... man hole covers and some oversized cracks in the road.

*** I think we might have to put another poll together and see who would want to participate in a buy back suit. ***

This vehicle is unsafe. I need to watch traffic and pedestrians and not concentrate on road cracks and man hole covers!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am actually really pissed that they were working on a TSB.. and didn't say anything.. just letting us all sit here and wonder why we have a Jeep that isn't a

Yes they have had it for about 37 days lol.. Jeep literally finally sent someone to validate today.. even though dealership was pushing jeep for answers.. jeep retention and star were twiddling their thumbs.

Jeeps contact during last 4 weeks was absolutely terrible.. the dealership however was calling me every couple days to let me know they hadn't heard from Jeep.. I left like 15 messages on retention rep voicemail . To barely get any responses..
I would be thinking about a lemon law buyback by now. or at least be threatening to do something.

Of course it would REALLy all depend on what they gave me as a loaner. If it was comparable or better to what I owned, then I'd be happy to put miles on their vehicle rather than mine.
Sponsored