Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport w/ Max Tow, 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Business Quality Consultant
Hey everyone,

So about 6 months ago I installed the Iron Rock Offroad 2" spacer lift on my 2020 Gladiator Sport with max tow. Since then, every time I go over any moderate bump (speed bump, hole on dirt road, etc.) there is a clunking noise seemingly from the front end and at the bottom part of the hood travel. when I installed the spacers, I made sure everything was seated properly, all bolts torqued to spec. The shocks are the factory shocks.

Any ideas as to what's causing the clunking noise and what could be done to remedy it?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The Iron Rock spacer lift lacks bump stop spacers. The front springs could be going into coil bind, or the shocks could be completely compressing and limiting suspension up-travel.

OP
OP
Highwaystar13

Highwaystar13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport w/ Max Tow, 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Business Quality Consultant
The Iron Rock spacer lift lacks bump stop spacers. The front springs could be going into coil bind, or the shocks could be completely compressing and limiting suspension up-travel.
would be it better to just bite the bullet and do a spring lift with new shocks?

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
would be it better to just bite the bullet and do a spring lift with new shocks?
If it turns out your shocks are not long enough, which IDK the factory shock travel, then replacing only the shocks will solve it. You can also do the springs, but once the shock length is proper (if that's the issue) then springs are purely optional, at least with respect to the issue you are trying solve.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Not necessarily, all you might need are bump stop spacers, which are cheap! I'm surprised they aren't part of the Iron rock kick. They were included in my kit for this reason.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
If you were to do it over again, maybe. Given where you are now in your build, you can probably install some 2” bump stop spacers and be ok. You can make them out of hockey pucks for cheap.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Not necessarily, all you might need are bump stop spacers, which are cheap! I'm surprised they aren't part of the Iron rock kick. They were included in my kit for this reason.
Yeah I'm inclined to blame the lack of bumpstops as well. I got full use out of my stock ones before lifting and with a kit like that you need to extend the bumps as much as you move the spring perch and shock mount.

Sponsored

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
Hey everyone,

So about 6 months ago I installed the Iron Rock Offroad 2" spacer lift on my 2020 Gladiator Sport with max tow. Since then, every time I go over any moderate bump (speed bump, hole on dirt road, etc.) there is a clunking noise seemingly from the front end and at the bottom part of the hood travel. when I installed the spacers, I made sure everything was seated properly, all bolts torqued to spec. The shocks are the factory shocks.

Any ideas as to what's causing the clunking noise and what could be done to remedy it?

Thanks everyone!
Certainly could be shocks bottoming, or bump stops, but I put a similar spacer in a few months ago with no issues. Stock shocks and bump stops. I think possibly something may have loosened or you weren’t able to fully torque the control arms , and they’re moving a bit.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Try setting the vehicle on the ground and re-torqing everything again.

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Will the thud happen if you stand outside the jeep and "Bounce" the suspension by hand?

If so, get a buddy to do that and crawl under and look for what's making the noise.

If the thud is coming at the bottom of the "bounce" when the suspension is compressed, I would look to bumpstops,

If the thud is coming at the top of the "bounce" on the recoil, I would guess shocks.
Sponsored