Gladiator Lemons?

snide

First Name
Big Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator
I had no issues with the '19 RAM 1500 that I had. No issues with the '20 Gladiator I currently have.
Sponsored

Chez12205

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Well going to go pick up my JT from dealer now said it was all set. Light was off and supposedly fixed the misfire. Iā€™ll post what they did and hopefully this wonā€™t happen again but Iā€™m skeptical. Only time will tell.

jmeyers

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator / Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Investigator
Ok, so push off or pull me back from the Gladiator issues and lemons ledge.

I started a lemon law buyback last June regarding my Ram truck. 45 plus business days in the shop, many attempts/redesigns during attempted fixes to no avail. It is going back under buyback/lemon law. I just heard yesterday, that it could still be another 3 months before they actually set a turn in date. All the paperwork etc is in the hands of FCA lawyers, bean counters.

I've had many Wranglers new and used over the years. Hard tops leaking, not leaking etc. Whatever. The steering issues. Yep, it'd be a November 20 on build so it will have the new box, so not a big deal...I hope. HOWEVER, all these Gladiator check engine lights, idle issue etc lingering on and on. Good grief.

As one who has had many vehicles over the years, but is going through this lemon law thing for the first time, it sure makes one go into OCD mode researching every vehicle. And, put in any make or brand and you'll find complaints and issues. I know that.

Meanwhile, I've got a Gladiator on order and am constantly reading/worrying about all these check engine lights, other Gladiator issues and losing sleep that I may get another turd. As, If you've been through this lemon law process, may you never again. If you haven't, may you never.

Even though I'm a 20 plus year customer of Ram and Jeep, corporate doesn't care. I even asked if corporate would extend some sort of olive branch, customer retention, say 500 off coupon over what price I negotiate with the dealer if I stayed with the brand. NOPE! Go to VW or Subaru if you want a company that makes an attempt at customer retention during a lemon law case I've been told. This further is pushing me away from FCA.

I'm not obligated to my Gladiator order when it comes in. And, yet today I see another post pop up about another FCA buyback of a Gladiator.

So, again, keep me on the ledge or push me off of it already regarding these CEL, rough idle and other Gladiator issues. Thanks.
I had to have a new engine put in mine around 4000 miles. I started having problems around 1200 miles. Since getting it back, I continue to have weird idle issues and had already started a lemon law suit. Iā€™m waiting for a tech to come out and go over the entire vehicle since it continues to do weird stuff. And now I think something is wrong with the air conditioning system.

Brooksie488

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Bought a ā€˜21 Gladiator Rubicon last week. Super excited to own a Jeep for the first time. In less than 70 miles, the Gladiator has turned off 4 times while moving at slow speeds (even with auto-off disabled), has serious shakes / rumbles at idle, and now has the check engine light.

This seems insane to me. I really wish I read the posts in here before making the purchase

Oakstump

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I had to have a new engine put in mine around 4000 miles. I started having problems around 1200 miles. Since getting it back, I continue to have weird idle issues and had already started a lemon law suit. Iā€™m waiting for a tech to come out and go over the entire vehicle since it continues to do weird stuff. And now I think something is wrong with the air conditioning system.
After one of their attempts to ā€œfixā€ mine the climate control system never worked right again. The blower behind the dash makes a high pitched noise, hot air blows out of my vents if the AC is set on 65, the defrost or floor will be on and not selected. My heated seats and steering wheel randomly come on and the only way to make them quit is turn the car off, back on and hope. Itā€™s an absolute embarrassment. After seeing posts crop up about 21ā€™s having the same issue Iā€™m so glad I requested a buy back and not a replacement.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SnazGlad

SnazGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Ugh. Well, if you haven't picked a Lemon Law firm yet, I can PM send you the info on the one I am using for the Ram. They are on the East Coast, but practice in various states, including the one I'm in. I will say, through all the FCA BS, the law firm has been very easy to work with, communicate with, even on a Sunday etc. So very frustrating.

OP
OP
SnazGlad

SnazGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Bought a ā€˜21 Gladiator Rubicon last week. Super excited to own a Jeep for the first time. In less than 70 miles, the Gladiator has turned off 4 times while moving at slow speeds (even with auto-off disabled), has serious shakes / rumbles at idle, and now has the check engine light.

This seems insane to me. I really wish I read the posts in here before making the purchase
What is the production date of your 21? Having never been in a legal situation on either side in my life up to the point of my current lemon Ram, I will tell you, from what I've learned so far, get it into the dealer ASAP as the lemon law financial figures to you/case starts from your first mileage in. And, contact a lemon law firm ASAP.

I wasted awhile trying to deal with FCA directly. I'm not here to do a commercial for the Lemon Law firm I went with, but can share the info in a private message if wanted. They handle cases in various states. I was not aware, pre all this, at least in California, the consumer does not pay a penny to the lemon law firm, win or lose. The vehicle manufacturer does.

Chez12205

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Well got mine back and it was running good. No bad idle at stops or anything so see what happens. Was my 5 cylinder misfire.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When you visit a hospital, you see sick people.

Romulans coming to earth to see how easy conquering humans might be end up visiting NYC hospitals and nursing homes and decide we'd be easy!

Not every JT owner is in this forum - or any other for that matter. It's a tiny percentage. Plus, of the forum members who own JTs, it's a small percentage of those members who have problems beyond ordinary.

Jeep owner since the late 80s - we keep coming back because of our good luck. My wife has never had a catastrophic issue with her Grand Cherokees save for the 2018 that had the NAV system go south and both batteries go bad. Both resolved easily by dealer and under warranty.
My JT issues were loose, saggy tonneau cover. JeepCares helped work with my dealer, they got a star case going and replaced the cover.
Had my steering gear replaced - it wandered and wasn't easy to keep a straight line but was only dangerous if between two semis on a windy day - others had worse steering experiences, but not huge numbers. HORRIBLE FOR THEM, and they need resolution, but honestly aren't the majority.
I didn't have to fuss with the dealer at all. I told them how my wife described it and they agreed and fixed it.
The trailer brake controller sucks - but only on 2019 built Gladiators (and that's not the fault of the truck, it's basically a repackaged 3rd party brake controller with a mopar part number on it)
They'll resolve that, too, and we'll move forward.
My truck got a PCM flash/update that totally changed how it shifted and how the engine wound up between gears - I thought it was wimpy pulling my trailer EMPTY, but now after the flash, I have hope for it. The dealer told me about that - I hadn't even complained about the transmission hunting yet or how wimpy it was towing an empty aluminum trailer.
In the grand scheme of things - all minor, and some of those things not unexpected in a first year truck. Granted most things are Wrangler-based but this engine tune, the PCM programming, it's all new for this truck.

Brooksie488

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
What is the production date of your 21? Having never been in a legal situation on either side in my life up to the point of my current lemon Ram, I will tell you, from what I've learned so far, get it into the dealer ASAP as the lemon law financial figures to you/case starts from your first mileage in. And, contact a lemon law firm ASAP.

I wasted awhile trying to deal with FCA directly. I'm not here to do a commercial for the Lemon Law firm I went with, but can share the info in a private message if wanted. They handle cases in various states. I was not aware, pre all this, at least in California, the consumer does not pay a penny to the lemon law firm, win or lose. The vehicle manufacturer does.
Thanks for the reply and tip. My manufacture date is 10/20. I reached out via PM

Sponsored

Brooksie488

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
When you visit a hospital, you see sick people.

Romulans coming to earth to see how easy conquering humans might be end up visiting NYC hospitals and nursing homes and decide we'd be easy!

Not every JT owner is in this forum - or any other for that matter. It's a tiny percentage. Plus, of the forum members who own JTs, it's a small percentage of those members who have problems beyond ordinary.

Jeep owner since the late 80s - we keep coming back because of our good luck. My wife has never had a catastrophic issue with her Grand Cherokees save for the 2018 that had the NAV system go south and both batteries go bad. Both resolved easily by dealer and under warranty.
My JT issues were loose, saggy tonneau cover. JeepCares helped work with my dealer, they got a star case going and replaced the cover.
Had my steering gear replaced - it wandered and wasn't easy to keep a straight line but was only dangerous if between two semis on a windy day - others had worse steering experiences, but not huge numbers. HORRIBLE FOR THEM, and they need resolution, but honestly aren't the majority.
I didn't have to fuss with the dealer at all. I told them how my wife described it and they agreed and fixed it.
The trailer brake controller sucks - but only on 2019 built Gladiators (and that's not the fault of the truck, it's basically a repackaged 3rd party brake controller with a mopar part number on it)
They'll resolve that, too, and we'll move forward.
My truck got a PCM flash/update that totally changed how it shifted and how the engine wound up between gears - I thought it was wimpy pulling my trailer EMPTY, but now after the flash, I have hope for it. The dealer told me about that - I hadn't even complained about the transmission hunting yet or how wimpy it was towing an empty aluminum trailer.
In the grand scheme of things - all minor, and some of those things not unexpected in a first year truck. Granted most things are Wrangler-based but this engine tune, the PCM programming, it's all new for this truck.
I really hope a PCM flash / update can fix mine. Manufactured 10/20. I seriously love the truck and just want it to work.

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
You're seeing lots because you're seeking confirmation of your fears. You need to actually think of the percentage of people that actually have these issues vs the ones that don't. Unfortunately forums and Facebook groups, etc. are going to make the issue seem larger than it actually is.

Chez12205

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Itā€™s not a big issue till it happens to you. I love my Jeep but now that I had the misfire I seem to just wait for it to happen again. Take the hood with the bad I guess.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Meanwhile, I've got a Gladiator on order and am constantly reading/worrying about all these check engine lights, other Gladiator issues and losing sleep that I may get another turd.
Stop living in fear. Lemons are rare. Spend every day eager and anticipating the delivery of your JT. It's so much more enjoyable. Congrats on your new rig and looking forward to pics.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
There are a "certain type" of people who have more lemon law vehicles than others. OCD people struggle to let things go and therefore find something wrong will everything they touch. Fix your OCD and your Jeep will fix itself. ;)
Sponsored