Gladiator manual transmission crunch sound / noise when shifting

Shitdonkey

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Been watching this thread. I have a 2020 Rubicon Gladiator with the 6 speed manual. 10k plus miles on her. I hear a rattling noise when I shift between 1,2 and 3. Drives me nuts! Had a recall for the clutch and still get a rattle. Not a crunch, but a rattle. Any guidance?
Sponsored

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Been watching this thread. I have a 2020 Rubicon Gladiator with the 6 speed manual. 10k plus miles on her. I hear a rattling noise when I shift between 1,2 and 3. Drives me nuts! Had a recall for the clutch and still get a rattle. Not a crunch, but a rattle. Any guidance?
what RPM are you shifting at? I have the same issue if I shift under ~3k but seems to be gone shifting at higher RPMs as others have suggested. Still a bit troubling as it doesn't sound like it should happen ever...

Ericxj99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt,xj,mj,jk,tj
I had my clutch replaced twice already for the recall first clutch gone at 5k I second clutch was better than the one came with the Jtr from factory I was really happy dropped for oil change dealership jump on it and opened for recall which I believe Chrysler refused I picked up week later and the sound was so loud and pedal not returning and now Chrysler agree on replacing one more time with the slave due to the sound honestly I don’t think it’s going away but it’s the third ticket for same issue maybe time for a lemon lawyer
Meanwhile Been driving a 2020 4cyl for last 7k

Shitdonkey

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
what RPM are you shifting at? I have the same issue if I shift under ~3k but seems to be gone shifting at higher RPMs as others have suggested. Still a bit troubling as it doesn't sound like it should happen ever...
Been shifting between 2.5 & 3k rpm.

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
I test drove 2 MT's before I got the automatic. Both of them seemed a little noisy and when I let the clutch out, the pedal was very soft. It didn't follow my foot off the floor. I had to let it out real slow. It just felt weird. I wanted a manual, but after driving 2 of them, just didn't feel right to me. Been driving manuals for 35 years.

I would take it to another dealer.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I had my clutch replaced twice already for the recall first clutch gone at 5k I second clutch was better than the one came with the Jtr from factory I was really happy dropped for oil change dealership jump on it and opened for recall which I believe Chrysler refused I picked up week later and the sound was so loud and pedal not returning and now Chrysler agree on replacing one more time with the slave due to the sound honestly I don’t think it’s going away but it’s the third ticket for same issue maybe time for a lemon lawyer
Meanwhile Been driving a 2020 4cyl for last 7k
If we can help with anything, please feel free to let us know.
Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTM
I've been watching this thread as well. Anyone else with the 6-speed noticing this on theirs? I usually hear this when I push the clutch in (usually in 1st gear) to slow down or come to a stop.

The video below at the 0:04 mark shows exactly the sound that I am referring to, and probably OP's as well. Notice he does s start from a stop (most likely in 1st) and then clutches in to come to a stop.

Wonder if this is just "normal transmission noise" among the 6 speed manual Jeeps (JT and JL)?

RedOverland

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I've been watching this thread as well. Anyone else with the 6-speed noticing this on theirs? I usually hear this when I push the clutch in (usually in 1st gear) to slow down or come to a stop.

The video below at the 0:04 mark shows exactly the sound that I am referring to, and probably OP's as well. Notice he does s start from a stop (most likely in 1st) and then clutches in to come to a stop.

Wonder if this is just "normal transmission noise" among the 6 speed manual Jeeps (JT and JL)?
Everytime I pull in my garage, I hear that very loud noise as I press on the clutch pedal. I couldn’t find a manual to test drive, so I was a little surprised at first. The manual says noise doesn’t mean a problem, so I expect to put 150k miles without any issue.

jwalker7124

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
@JeepCares Can you share a video of an expert driver and the normal amount of noise that should be expected with a manual?
Any confirmation on the noise in the video as normal? I have a 2020 6 speed that does the same thing when pushing the clutch down out of first. I can avoid it by shifting around 3k, but that's not always possible. In stop and go traffic where you routinely need to engage and depress the clutch it's pretty much unavoidable and loud enough I've had people on the sidewalk turn and look. I can live with it but I've been driving manuals exclusively for the last 15 years (cars) and I've never had a similar experience.

Sponsored

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
I've got the same issue. I notice it real bad when I'm pulling into my garage... Push the clutch in at the bottom of the driveward, slow to get into first. Drive up the hill and when I push the clutch in while in 1st as I entered the garage, clunck.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
This thread has been a little personal and on point.

There’s 3 things I believe it can be and why it’s personal. Before I bought my Glad R, auto, my last vehicle was the 2017 TRD Sport, manual transmission. The syncro gear was showing wear @ 110,000 kms. (68k miles). Grinding into 1st coming to a stop, then in neutral at a red light, would grind going into 1st then again into 3rd. (But that isn’t the worst) Anybody that follows me knows I do oil analysis on everything to keep a health record and oil change record.

I do my own maintenance,
oil changes on everything. Toyota’s manual trans oil change was recommended somewhere at 60k- 70k kms (40k miles) but I changed mine at 13,000 kms (8k miles). Guess what I found missing from the factory??! Transmission holds 2.5 quarts and 1 3/4 came out. I was low from the factory and was PISSED that I had been damaging my transmission on low oil for 13,000 kms. The rear diff was low by 1 quart, front diff down by .25 quart. Somewhat lucky I caught it but I paid for
PDI and it wasn’t done. Toyota said, don’t worry we’ll take care of you cause I got a great warranty!

My oil rep where I buy my oils said this is common with all automotive makes across the board!
When I finally got to 110k kms and the crunching started to happen, the oil analysis came back showing the transmission and been baked in the early MILAGE with low oil. Toyota refused to cover the transmission under my extended warranty saying, “because the sycro gear is a wearable part, warranty will not cover it”. The truck took its final trip to BC for that weekend and an Elk ran out onto the highway that night and I slammed into it, writing off the truck. Was so screwed over by Toyota, I fired them and walked over to jeep.

At the time I was writing up my sale of the Glad R, I asked the service department to check over the levels of all the fluids. They said they did and when I got home I did my own check and found the only thing low by 1/2 quart was the “sealed” auto transmission. (There’s a 10 step system in checking the fluid level on that). Service Forman said “oh, that doesn’t matter, the tranny can be low or high by 1/2 quart
”.

So moral of this story is change that oil and upgrade with something better. Take note if your oil levels are low and record changing it. Get an oil analysis so you can prove you changed it and watch what metals are wearing in the report. If you have gear grinding, you see it in the report AND some of you may even surprise yourself to find nice big flakes of metal come out in the oil. You can have the dealership do it but they’d never tell you if you were low or if metals were coming out.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Fully let off the gas, pause for 3 seconds, press the clutch and shift. Does it still make the noise? Took me like 5k miles before realizing it was all about the timing. Once you get the timing right the pause is more like half a second. No more clunking noise for me

Sebas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
After I got the Y07 recall applied, there is no rev hang anymore when shifting from 1st to 2nd. What a relief. It is much smoother shifting now that the revs go down as soon as I release the throttle.

bhancock91

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport (6-speed)
Occupation
In vehicle technology expert for Subaru
I am having the same issue here. Happens maybe 30-40% of the time but always at the same time. Usually when in first, fully in gear, then go to engage clutch to go back to neutral. Always at slow speeds and usually when in line to drop off kid at school or drive through. Sometimes when going from first to second as well but not as common. Got it on video, had a service advisor see it happen and hear it in the service drive area, twice, but each time i get a call back saying they they couldn't find anything wrong. This isn't right and jeep is refusing to fix the issue. Why? Because its covered under warranty and the tech would have to take the transmission out to inspect the clutch. The actual tech went for a ride with me, and it happened, and i said well did you look at the clutch? His response, well no we'd have to take the whole transmission out. OK then do that! The car has 7k miles on it and has been doing it since day one. I work at a subaru dealership and all 5 of the techs I spoke with said thats not normal.
Sponsored