Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Outlawing gas engines is many decades away, if ever. States will grandfather old ICE vehicles in. What is possible is outlawing the sale of new ones. That is what California did. By 2035 I won't be able to buy an ICE Gladiator. But who knows if Jeep will even still be making them in 2035? If they do, they will EVs or hydrogen based.
Granted im ignorant on a lot to do with it, but hydrogen engines are a cool concept.
Sponsored

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Granted im ignorant on a lot to do with it, but hydrogen engines are a cool concept.
In the future people wont even have to drive because Carls Jr. will come from a vending machine

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
It doesn't take much to convert an ice from gasoline to hydrogen.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
Am I the only one reading that differently than the article implies? It sounds to me like they are just saying they aren't looking to make a full-electric pickup version of the Recon. It's just saying "Hey, if we've got the Gladiator, why would we convert the Recon into another pickup?"

While I agree that maybe they won't release a 4xe version of the Gladiator, this quote is not saying that. The author is connecting dots on his own I think.
100%. Nowhere does that say there will be no electric Gladiator. It simply says "there will be no pickup version of the Recon". He actually says "everything's open".

Sponsored

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
All I know is that I saw a fueling station on a recent trip. Hydrogen burns with oxygen to make water. No other byproducts. So, theoretically, it is carbon neutral and zero emissions. But everything has unintended consequences. You have to use energy to take water and split the hydrogen from the oxygen. Where does that energy come from? How do you store Hydrogen? It embrittles metals so there is a material compatibility issue engineers have to deal with. Finally, the one I worry about (because I might be crazy) is the hydrogen molecule is very small and all of our systems will leak it into the atmosphere. Then it will rise into the outer edges of the atmosphere and get blown away by solar wind. Thereby turning our entire planet into a desert like Mars. Maybe I am crazy....

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
All I know is that I saw a fueling station on a recent trip. Hydrogen burns with oxygen to make water. No other byproducts. So, theoretically, it is carbon neutral and zero emissions. But everything has unintended consequences. You have to use energy to take water and split the hydrogen from the oxygen. Where does that energy come from? How do you store Hydrogen? It embrittles metals so there is a material compatibility issue engineers have to deal with. Finally, the one I worry about (because I might be crazy) is the hydrogen molecule is very small and all of our systems will leak it into the atmosphere. Then it will rise into the outer edges of the atmosphere and get blown away by solar wind. Thereby turning our entire planet into a desert like Mars. Maybe I am crazy....
Power plants use hydrogen for years as a cooling medium in the generators. It's 14 times more efficient than dry air for removing heat. For storage, we had a semi tube trailer that we swapped out with another trailer when empty. The tube trailers had between 9 to 15 tubes. Pressurized to 2,600psi each. The tubes are made out of steel. The technology is there to use it. Just have to find a low cost way of separating it from oxygen is the problem.

If the hydrogen escapes. It will mix with oxygen again before being blown away by the solar wind. So I don't think you have to worry about it.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The hydrogen powered vehicle will still be an EV. They dont burn hydrogen like gas, they use a fuel cell to convert hydrogen to electricity which charges the ev battery which then powers the DC motors. Basically the hydrogen is used in the fuel cell as your own portable charger.

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I recall reading an article somewhere else that Stellsmtis has plans to have EVs across all
of its Jeeps.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Power plants use hydrogen for years as a cooling medium in the generators. It's 14 times more efficient than dry air for removing heat. For storage, we had a semi tube trailer that we swapped out with another trailer when empty. The tube trailers had between 9 to 15 tubes. Pressurized to 2,600psi each. The tubes are made out of steel. The technology is there to use it. Just have to find a low cost way of separating it from oxygen is the problem.

If the hydrogen escapes. It will mix with oxygen again before being blown away by the solar wind. So I don't think you have to worry about it.
Hydrogen is used in a lot of specific, high tech applications, but to power a world's fleet of vehicles is a whole different scale. Also, hydrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere don't just combine into water by bumping into each other. You need concentrations at a sufficient level plus an ignition source. So what I described is completely possible but would likely take thousands of years, assuming the human race lasts that long.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I recall reading an article somewhere else that Stellsmtis has plans to have EVs across all
of its Jeeps.
Jim Morrison, the head of Jeep North America, said as much on 4Xe day. here is a link to the video.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Hydrogen is used in a lot of specific, high tech applications, but to power a world's fleet of vehicles is a whole different scale. Also, hydrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere don't just combine into water by bumping into each other. You need concentrations at a sufficient level plus an ignition source. So what I described is completely possible but would likely take thousands of years, assuming the human race lasts that long.
I just hit on one application of hydrogen that many people don't know about. I agree about powering a whole population is a whole different story.
We have other problems with someone willing to throw nukes at us now. If that happens, we don't have worry about going ev. Be more worried about learning how to ride a horse IF you can find one.
Sponsored