First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I was waiting for the 2021 model for the diesel JT but you can't get the Max Tow Package with the diesel. What a bunch of crap, guess I will keep what I have and wait for the new Bronco with a V-8 for my tow vehicle. I think sometimes Jeep takes owners and buyers for granted.
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I was waiting for the 2021 model for the diesel JT but you can't get the Max Tow Package with the diesel. What a bunch of crap, guess I will keep what I have and wait for the new Bronco with a V-8 for my tow vehicle. I think sometimes Jeep takes owners and buyers for granted.

They’re not gonna offer the bronco with a v8 and it’s very unlikely it’ll be rated to tow more than 5500 due to the wheelbase

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
They’re not gonna offer the bronco with a v8 and it’s very unlikely it’ll be rated to tow more than 5500 due to the wheelbase
But if the diesel JT can't get the MaxTow package, it will only have a 3500lb tow rating due to the hitch. Like I said the only reason I wanted to get the diesel over the 3.6 I have now is the towing grunt of the diesel.

Bob502000

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Q2 2020 sales figures are in and the Gladiator racked up 19,568 units sold in the US, a jump of 28.2% over Q1 sales and a huge 174% increase from Q2 2019 sales!

It's now virtually tied for third place within the midsize pickup segment and trailed the Colorado by only 275 units. If the sales trend continues, it should easily outsell the Colorado in Q3.

Q2 2020 Midsize Pickup Sales Stats:

MODELQ2 2020 SalesQ2 2019 Sales % Change (from Q2 2019)Current % Market ShareYTD Sales
Tacoma[To Come][To Come][To Come][To Come][To Come]
Ranger25,00820,880+ 19.8%[To Come]45,988
Colorado19,84331,669- 37.3%[To Come]41,273
Gladiator19,5687,129+ 174%[To Come]34,827
Frontier8,79419,101- 54%[To Come]19,074
Go JEEP go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I personally believe that the Tacoma is NOT the best truck. (Coming from a Tacoma owner.)
I purchased my Gladiator this week after comparing it against a Tacoma and F-150 (not a fan of the Rangers or GM twins). After driving the Tacoma, I can't believe people are still buying them. The back seat is useless, the transmission is constantly hunting for the right gear, AND it's underpowered. It does nothing well other than be "reliable." I test-drove a gen 3 Tacoma a few years ago and had the same feelings but hoped Toyota would have sorted out the issues by now. I guess not.

This is my first Jeep, so I am far from a fanboy. In my experience, the Gladiator is the best and most fun vehicle in this segment. It isn't even close. As an added bonus, it's also unique and stands-out amongst the sea of bland vehicles being brought to market by Ford, Chevy, and Toyota.

The only people still buying Tacomas are fanboys, fleets, and people who didn't test drive a Gladiator.

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
But if the diesel JT can't get the MaxTow package, it will only have a 3500lb tow rating due to the hitch. Like I said the only reason I wanted to get the diesel over the 3.6 I have now is the towing grunt of the diesel.
I believe it will have a tow package like the Overland and will be able to tow 6,000 or even 7,000... I can’t recall. I read somewhere it couldn’t get the max tow due to heat concerns.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I believe it will have a tow package like the Overland and will be able to tow 6,000 or even 7,000... I can’t recall. I read somewhere it couldn’t get the max tow due to heat concerns.
This, but probably 6k lbs unless it has the wider D44s. IIRC, the diesels will all have 3.73 gears too, but less of a factor with the diesel.

Its surprising how many people think that the non Max Tow vehicles, with the tow package, can only tow 3500 lbs. I guess there's just a lot of confusion people and the dealerships don't help when they're trying to sell customers tow package vehicles as max tow.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
This, but probably 6k lbs unless it has the wider D44s. IIRC, the diesels will all have 3.73 gears too, but less of a factor with the diesel.

Its surprising how many people think that the non Max Tow vehicles, with the tow package, can only tow 3500 lbs. I guess there's just a lot of confusion people and the dealerships don't help when they're trying to sell customers tow package vehicles as max tow.
Honestly, the only difference I’ve been able to determine between the two tow packages is wider axles and deeper gears. They both have upgraded alternators and cooling.

I owned the EcoDiesel in my GC and loved it. But for the additional costs and the regular tow rating in both vehicles, it’s a driving dynamics decision. That torque is fun and made towing a breeze, but beyond that, it’s hard to swallow the extra cost of the option, maintenance and repairs.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Honestly, the only difference I’ve been able to determine between the two tow packages is wider axles and deeper gears. They both have upgraded alternators and cooling.

I owned the EcoDiesel in my GC and loved it. But for the additional costs and the regular tow rating in both vehicles, it’s a driving dynamics decision. That torque is fun and made towing a breeze, but beyond that, it’s hard to swallow the extra cost of the option, maintenance and repairs.
If I bought the diesel it would be for all that torque. I did the math when I bought my Canyon, the 3.6l V6 vs the diesel. With the Canyon, I would have been over 100k miles just to break even and that wasn't even including the extra maintenance costs. I never strongly considered that diesel because it was a 4 cylinder diesel and not very powerful. I would have given up way too much performance.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer

Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
This is my first Jeep, so I am far from a fanboy. In my experience, the Gladiator is the best and most fun vehicle in this segment. It isn't even close. As an added bonus, it's also unique and stands-out amongst the sea of bland vehicles being brought to market by Ford, Chevy, and Toyota.

The only people still buying Tacomas are fanboys, fleets, and people who didn't test drive a Gladiator.
I could have written this same thing. For me, once I realized I needed a truck but wanted something to fit in my garage, it was either waiting for the Ranger Raptor in 2022+ or the Gladiator. It's assumed the Raptor will have the Focus RS turbo-4, so that was a huge demerit for me (I don't trust turbo engines, esp from Ford).

Once I looked further into the Gladiator and the employee pricing was released, it was a no-brainer for me.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
It won’t stay this way. Going into the Covid19 shutdown, dealer inventory was similar for the Colorado and Gladiator, so it was an anomaly in the market.
Sponsored