JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
FCA Second-quarter 2023 U.S. Sales Up 6%
  • 2023 total U.S. sales increase 6% in Q2 versus same period last year
  • Ram brand total U.S. sales increase 3% over same period last year
  • Ram brand's ProMaster van sees its best-ever quarter in both total and retail U.S. sales, increasing 27% and 58% respectively over the same period last year
  • Ram brandā€™s Commercial fleet channel's total U.S. sales increased 19% versus the same period last year
  • JeepĀ® Wrangler 4xe has its best-ever quarter to date; total sales up 56% over same quarter last year; Jeep Wrangler 4xe is *Americaā€™s best-selling plug-in hybrid vehicle, followed by the Grand Cherokee 4xe at No. 2
  • Jeep Compass and Jeep Grand Cherokee total U.S sales increase over same period, 28% and 19%, respectively
  • Chrysler brand up 33%, total U.S. sales of the Chrysler Pacifica increases 40% over same period last year, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid sales increase 112%, holds No. 4 spot among top-selling PHEVs in the U.S
  • Deliveries of the limited edition 2023 Chrysler 300C began in second quarter 2023
  • Dodge brand total U.S. sales increase 37% versus same period last year; Dodge Hornet G/T is in dealerships now, Dodge Hornet R/T hybrid set to arrive in early Q3
  • The 2024 Alfa Romeo Tonale, built at the Pomigliano dā€™Arco plant in Naples, Italy, is arriving at dealerships now
  • Stellantis brands Dodge, Ram and Alfa Romeo own the industry podium, taking 1-2-3 spots in the J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS)
July 3, 2023 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC reports sales of 434,648 vehicles in the second quarter for 2023. Overall, total U.S. sales for the second quarter increased 6% versus the same period last year.

ā€œWe saw increased demand this quarter as market conditions continue to improve and our dealer network makes the necessary adjustments to drive sales growth across our brand portfolios,ā€ said U.S. Head of Sales Jeff Kommor. "The JeepĀ® Wrangler 4xe recorded its best quarter to date and retains its ranking as the best-selling plug-in hybrid in the U.S., with the Grand Cherokee 4xe at No. 2 and the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid at No. 4. Weā€™re also seeing extremely positive results from the quality side, with the Dodge, Ram and Alfa Romeo brands owning the top 3 spots in the J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS)."

The Ram brand total U.S. sales increased 3% over the same period last year. The Ram brand's ProMaster van saw its best-ever quarter in both total and retail U.S. sales, increasing 27% and 58% respectively over the same period last year. The Ram ProMaster City increased 2% versus the same quarter last year.

The Ram brandā€™s Commercial fleet channel's total U.S. sales increased 19% versus the same period last year.

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe, which notched its best-ever quarter to date, saw total sales of the vehicle increase 56% versus the same period last year. Jeep Wrangler 4xe is *Americaā€™s best-selling plug-in hybrid vehicle, followed by the Grand Cherokee 4xe at No. 2. The Jeep Wrangler 4xe accounted for 36% (16,949 units) of total Wrangler sales in the second quarter. The Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe accounted for 15% (10,761 units) of total Grand Cherokee sales in the second quarter.

The Jeep Compass (up 28%) and Jeep Grand Cherokee (up 19%) posted total U.S. sales gains over the same quarter last year.

The Chrysler brandā€™s total U.S. sales recorded growth of 33% versus the same quarter last year. The Chrysler Pacifica drove the gains, up 40% in total U.S. sales versus Q2 2022. Total U.S. sales of the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, which holds the No. 4 spot among the top-selling PHEVs in the U.S., increased 112% over the same period last year. The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid accounted for 19% (8,763 units) of the nameplateā€™s total sales in the second quarter.

Deliveries of the limited edition 2023 Chrysler 300C, revealed at last year's Detroit Auto Show, began in the second quarter.

The Dodge brandā€™s total U.S. sales increased 37%, with the Charger up 7% and Durango up 223% in total sales versus the same quarter last year. The Dodge Hornet G/T is in dealerships now and the Dodge Hornet R/T will begin arriving at dealerships in early Q3. The all-new Dodge Hornet, unlocking the gateway to Dodge muscle, offers the quickest, fastest, most powerful compact utility vehicle under $30,000, bringing buzz to the segment with unmistakable Dodge styling cues and performance.

The 2024 Alfa Romeo Tonale, manufactured at the Pomigliano dā€™Arco plant in Naples, Italy, is shipping to dealerships now. The Tonale enters the premium compact CUV segment with standard all-wheel drive, more than 30 miles of electric range (48 kilometers) and a starting U.S. manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $42,995.

Stellantis brands Dodge, Ram and Alfa Romeo own the industry podium in the J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS). Dodge topped the 33 brands ranked by J.D. Power, followed by Ram and then Alfa Romeo. These latest results mark the fourth consecutive year that Dodge has placed among the top two brands.

Ram climbed 16 places to finish second ā€“ its third time among the studyā€™s top three brands since 2020. And Alfa Romeo soared 24 places ā€“ the greatest jump in this yearā€™s IQS ā€“ to finish first among premium brands and third in the industry.

screenshot-2023-07-03-at-8-53-27-am-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Cue the gladiator is going to be cancelled speculation...

Also how the hell did the Durango become so popular suddenly?

Lastly, according to the numbers, the 4xe is just short of being half of all q2 sales for wrangler. It sold 14.5K or so in Q1, now in Q2 with a 56% increase that means it sold 22.5K of the 46K wranglers sold. Even with numbers down I'm sure thats helping get the transaction prices up. Can't imagine jeep isnt just dying to bring the first real phev truck to market to grab share there like the wrangler has.

Last edited:

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
Odd to me that in Q2 they sold almost as many Chrysler Pacificaā€˜s as Wranglers.
And the Gladiator stats are just sad.

My area is a summer beach destination. If I take a 1 hour round trip to the store right now I see say 50 wranglers/CJs and a half-dozen Gladiators.

Edit: And yeah, I only see Durangos in car rental lots. Maybe itā€™s big orders from Hetz or something distorting the numbers here.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Wow, the Gladiator numbers are bad. Hereā€™s to hoping they roll out better rebates before my order comes in.
Reading the press release youā€™d think theyā€™re sitting on top of the world, welp. Nice spin on the numbers.

Jeep Gladiator Q2 2023 Jeep Gladiator Sales Results 1688412950336

Last edited:

Sponsored

chesafreak

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad
The
Cue the gladiator is going to be cancelled speculation...

Also how the hell did the Durango become so popular suddenly?

Lastly, according to the numbers, the 4xe is just short of being half of all q2 sales for wrangler. It sold 14.5K or so in Q1, now in Q2 with a 56% increase that means it sold 22.5K of the 46K wranglers sold. Even with numbers down I'm sure thats helping get the transaction prices up. Can't imagine jeep isnt just dying to bring the first real phev truck to market to grab share there like the wrangler has.
That $7500 tax credit getting pretty close to paying for the difference im sure bumped the 4xe sales, I doubt you would see that at all if/when it goes away.

Curios what the Grand Cherokee Ls difference is if broken out from the smaller GC as I have been in the market for a 3 row midsize myself and supply is low and the popular Hyundai/kia/toyota. FCA has had the largest supply and best incentives which is probably what pumped alot of sales.

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
I would really like to see an average household income and average yearly mileage for Gladiator buyers and owners. I have a feeling that it is majorly people who do pretty well for themselves and can eat the cost of the low fuel efficiency and donā€™t need to justify the purchase. I also suspect gladiators have a far higher percentage of "it's going to be a second/weekend/hauling my side by side vehicle" sales than Wranglers do. I could be wrong, but when I pass other Gladiators, I rarely ever see them doing "truck" things. I see them doing- or aiding in doing- jeep-y fun things.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
That $7500 tax credit getting pretty close to paying for the difference im sure bumped the 4xe sales, I doubt you would see that at all if/when it goes away.
The price difference is more like 4-5k for comparable equipped trucks if you go like options to like options.

I'm sure the credit is definitely helping but even with out it, it would be a no brainer to me as its a warrantied factory power adder that gives me a 5.7 hemi driving experience for 4-5k.

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Not surprised. It's a niche product to begin with.

Plus it hasn't been updated, engine choices are limited, blah blah.

Jclow801

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2006 Lexus IS 250
Build Thread
Link
Itā€™s interesting to try and determine what the big picture is here.. Are sales up? Or are they just getting units out better than they were last year because supply chain healing?

Sponsored

STACHES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Alltrack, '74 X1/9, '71 240z, '66 C10
Occupation
Manufacturing Automation
I could be wrong, but when I pass other Gladiators, I rarely ever see them doing "truck" things. I see them doing- or aiding in doing- jeep-y fun things.
Modern trucks kinda suck at doing truck things. When I need to haul stuff, I use my '66 C10 because I can lay 8x4 sheets of plywood flat between the wheel humps with the tailgate up, and the bed is knee high off the ground so it's super easy to load.

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Poor sales as a result of one or more of the following (speculation on my part):

1) Current gas prices vs MPG of the Gladiator

2) $60k+ vs perceived value is a tough sell right now. Most people don't appreciate the capability. They just see an overpriced light duty pickup that really does nothing well that the typical family wants, compared to competition.

3) Bad press around the recalls that have prevented sales of stick shift and diesels, with more bad press around Jeep's inability to resolve, let alone quickly.

4) Early model year reliability issue perceptions that are still prevalent, despite improvements.

5) It's a niche vehicle, and perhaps most who like the design have already purchased. Is it a 'fad vehicle'? Is the fad dying as fads do?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
$6K-$8K+ price increases compared to 2 years ago plus 7%-8% new car interest rates for people with stellar credit is not helping the issue. Current rebates and maybe some dealer discounting may blunt that but just brings it down to basically what MSRP was 2 years ago which was expensive then.

Even if current trends hold, Gladiator is on track for at least a 54K unit sales year against a 75K per year planned capacity anyways. I doubt Jeep/Stellantis will drop the Gladiator for at least the current model cycle the Wrangler is in until it's next generation design.

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT
I dont think its sales are too far off from honda and Nissan. Plus jeep keeps making the 2dr wrangler, im sure it isnt a high volume seller either.
Sponsored