Gladiator vs S4...

esemett

First Name
Emett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
I am considering trading in my Audi S3 for either a Jeep Gladiator or an Audi S4. I've always had sporty/sports cars and love smaller, tight sporty cars. But recently, the Gladiator has caught my eye. I don't really like pickups, or big cars., but the Gladiator speaks to me.

Has anyone made a similar switch? Any regrets?

Yes, I have test driven a Gladiator Rubicon.
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I had a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. It was totaled and I’ve had a wrx last few years. It was FUN, but not a Jeep.

I don’t miss the WRX.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering trading in my Audi S3 for either a Jeep Gladiator or an Audi S4. I've always had sporty/sports cars and love smaller, tight sporty cars. But recently, the Gladiator has caught my eye. I don't really like pickups, or big cars., but the Gladiator speaks to me.

If youve never had a jeep its an entirely different experience compared to any regular car. Its not necessarily for everyone..for instance you may dislike the difference in steering in the JT compared to your audi.

But for most folks as soon as you drive one you start to catch the bug...once the top or doors come off your hooked. And then the life style associated with the jeep just adds icing to the cake and keeps you hooked for life.

Maybe try and find one at a local rental place to give it a test run. Theyre not everywhere but some rental places do have them.

If not Id say go for it. JTs are simply an awesome vehicle.

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
I traded my 2018 Audi Q7 "Prestiege", fully loaded MSRP of $73k for my Gladiator Rubicon.

Sorry ... not sorry. It was an easy decision to move on.

Was the Audi fast... yup it had a 3.0L Supercharged. I never had any of my cars over 100mph as many times as that Audi.... and I owned a Corvette with a ProCharger. (3rd picture)

But the Gladiators are much better and more fun. I drove my wifes blue Rubicon exclusively when we went out of town for a few weeks when Covid started, and before we got home, I was online looking at Gladiators on the sales lots. The first weekend back home, I made the trade.

The bottom line is, any car or truck can get you there, but the journey can be boring or fun.

My Gladiator is FUN!

(click to enlarge pictures)

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs S4... IMG_6653

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs S4... IMG_8508

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs S4... IMG_8519

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs S4... IMG_3705

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I’ve had two A4s, a GTI (similar enough to an A3), and my wife currently has an A6. I much prefer to drive my JT any time, but I’m a Jeep guy to the core. I guess my question is why a JT vs. a JL, unless you could use a truck also. S3 to JT is a pretty big jump for a first Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP

esemett

First Name
Emett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
I’ve had two A4s, a GTI (similar enough to an A3), and my wife currently has an A6. I much prefer to drive my JT any time, but I’m a Jeep guy to the core. I guess my question is why a JT vs. a JL, unless you could use a truck also. S3 to JT is a pretty big jump for a first Jeep.
I just like the look of the Gladiator. Don’t care for the Wrangler nor have any practical need for a pickup except a nice convenience.

I’ll try and rent one. the car is a bit ridiculous, but that’s part of the appeal for me.

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I had a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. It was totaled and I’ve had a wrx last few years. It was FUN, but not a Jeep.

I don’t miss the WRX.
Same. Went from a tuned 15 VA WRX to a JTR. Don’t miss the Subie at all. Also had a GR STi and GD Bugeye before that...along with some other vehicles. Haha.

Wicknalter

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve owned 42 vehicles all in all. The Gladiator is in my top 3. First Jeep and the bug has bitten me. Trail riding beats any of the drag strips or tracks I’ve raced at. The camaraderie of others on the trail willing to help is awesome as well.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Rent or test drive, take the freedom panels off or flip the soft top back when you do it, because that is a huge part of the experience. I spend the majority of our spring, summer, and fall with the doors off out here in CA, and because of that I will never be without a Jeep of some kind in my driveway. We currently have a JLU and JT.

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
I'm on my second S5 and I just bought a gladiator. First jeep for me. Coming out of two F150s which were great. In my case I have use for a sporty daily driver and a truck. Comparing the two is obv apples to oranges. Completely different animals. At the end of the day the jeep can technically do everything the audi can do and much more....well that is except go fast and be an exceptional driving car on the high way. You need to decide how much jeep and truck stuff you want to do and how much you value the sports car driving experience. Or....get both like me :)

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Long time Audi Guy here. I will leave my 2001 TT roadster out as you are looking more sedan.

Silver car is a 1991 Audi 200. Granddaddy of the S4. Affectionately known as the rocket couch. 3b motor...big turbo...blah blah ...chipped 25 pounds of boost running in that bad boy. Straight pipe exhaust. 5 speed 325ish hp.

Grey wagon is a 1995.5 URS6 Avant. C4 body. Big brake kit. Big turbo....AAN motor, chipped, boost unk. It would peg my 30 PSI boot gauge. Lowered HR Race Springs, Koni yellow. Big sway bars all that. Straight pipe. 5 speed seats 7 with the tail gunner seats. just shy of 400hp. Big time sleeper....grocery getter from hell. Only got noticed twice in this car. Once by a car wash kid that saw the Porsche reds poking out and asked what I "did to it". And buy a guy that knew what a URS6 was and asked a lot of questions.

So that being said. NOTHING....NOTHING drives like a well sorted German sports car. There are people on here with 911Ts, Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, and they will back me up. My 1995.5 had 400K on it. Drove with a refinement that can't be matched. Those cars love to be flogged. My wagon took a U turn at 25+ Mph in Breckenridge after a rugby tournament with 4 players in the car and had zero body roll. Once that tach hits 4500+ an Audi inline sings like the Teutonic beast it is. Go listen to Group B valley cars and you will understand.

That being said there are drawbacks. Audi stops making parts for their cars after about 15-20 years. I can't find crap for my TT. Try finding things for an Audi 4000, Audi 200 or URS6.
Audis love to be worked on. They are temperamental. Don't miss an oil change. Don't run the wrong plugs etc. The S4 is not what it was. They put out the RS4. More on point with what you used to get from the B5 S4. Audi is pricey. Parts labor all that. My Audis love the snow. But they got high centered easily. I would say in some conditions they were better than anything in the snow.

The Jeep is a VERY different animal. I drive slower. I am more relaxed. Top off, doors off on a nice day...just feels right. Jeeps are deep in the parts department. I don't see them cease making parts for the Gladiator. I can do a bit of fun hooligan stuff. My kids love when it snows, we are in 2wd and turn the traction control off and instead of the 3 point turn to drop them off at mom's we do a nice controlled drift. 180 degrees super controlled just feather that throttle. The honest truth is it is apples and oranges. I loved all my Audis for the precision and refinement. I detest the amount of work they require. I HATE finding parts for them. The Jeep lets me go anywhere I want. But it's a slower pace of life. I have zero urge to stoplight warrior it. Even though a few people have thought they were "racing me." It's like bro.....33in mud tires...not racing shit.

I see you are from Chicago. I spent 23 years there. Most of my youth. What part? I know the commute on the Stevenson and the Ike can be like Le Mond. Last time I did it was in the TT and bloody hell....speed limit is 55 at best and if you are not doing 70 they will run you off the road. I'd take the Jeep for a test drive during rush hour. Do your commute. Then do what feels right.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs S4... 5521A612-096B-4F11-ACF7-AE1C4C4A3967

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs S4... 0B931E23-2B6D-489D-97D5-5B2FCDA8ACD3

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs S4... 03EA5B4E-FADA-499D-AFE7-C613A64C6A65

Last edited:

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
We have a 328 hardtop convertible as a 3rd (fun) car. I went from a Tundra to the Gladiator and will never go back to a larger truck. The size and features of the Gladiator is like the perfect all in one vehicle. I like our BMW, but it’s a money pit and doesn’t get driven nearly as much since we got the Gladiator. The Glad’s ride definitely won’t be like driving a sports car.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
HPDE and euro junkie here. For me it was more about experience, maturity and managing expectations. Nothing special at all about an S3 and if that’s what you’d consider tight and sporty, I’d continue to progress down that path until you get into a P car or well sorted M and hit some HPDEs. Not bashing Audi, had plenty including the 5-pot TTRS when it came to the states in 2012. Once you push a car designed to be pushed, the question you’re asking yourself now would never arise because you wouldn’t snuff out one passion short to explore another. Rather, you’d position yourself to support/explore both.

If you’re bored with your car and find the gladiator kooky and interesting, while not having any need to tow or desire to trail quite a bit, I wouldn’t do it based on what you’re saying.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma

I have owned both an Audi RS4, and an Audi S4 (not at the same time). Both were second cars to a Jeep JKU. All vehicles were manual transmissions. The Audis - with the right tires - blow away any Jeep in terms of acceleration, handling, and traction (this is true on dry roads, wet roads, snow covered roads, and icy roads). But the Audis have no ground clearance, so you cannot take them up a rocky dirt road (let alone a real off-road trail), and they are useless in deep snow. The Jeep, of course, crushed trails and was a monster in deep snow. So for road trips we always faced a conundrum - especially in winter. I ran Nokian Hakkapeliita tires on both Audis, and those cars drove like they were on rails on snow pack and icy roads. But pull into an unplowed parking lot in some remote location, and its shovel time - which isn't anything like "hammer time" ;). There are also downsides to owning two vehicles. My solution was to sell both the S4, and the Jeep, and I got a 2017 Tacoma - thinking that it would be a "middle ground" of sorts (IFS for better daily driving, and good enough ground clearance with a lift and slightly larger tires). It was a "sensible" choice in many ways, but driving is no longer fun. The Audis were fun to drive, as was the Jeep. If I own one vehicle, it cannot be low ground clearance, so I'm thinking about trading in the Tacoma for a Gladiator.

Bottom line: be realistic about your driving needs & wants, and decide what type of vehicle is best for you. Also - test drive the hell out of the Gladiator before you buy. Don't find yourself "surprised" that it won't get up and go like your S3, or rip through canyons, or give you that low center of gravity quattro sense of security on slippery roads. The Gladiator is many great things, but it is not a sports car. And the Rubicon (which you mention) is not all-wheel drive. If you are driving on-road with changing conditions, you have to shift from 2-high into 4-high when you hit snow & ice, and you have to shift back out when you hit dry roads. That will be a big change for you. But I have no idea where you live or drive regularly.

Last thing: I met a guy the other day who traded in a Porsche for a Gladiator. He's got a lift with 37-inch tires, and its set up for overlanding (tent, etc.). He was really happy with his choice, but we didn't chat long, so no details.

OP
OP

esemett

First Name
Emett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
HPDE and euro junkie here. For me it was more about experience, maturity and managing expectations. Nothing special at all about an S3 and if that’s what you’d consider tight and sporty, I’d continue to progress down that path until you get into a P car or well sorted M and hit some HPDEs. Not bashing Audi, had plenty including the 5-pot TTRS when it came to the states in 2012. Once you push a car designed to be pushed, the question you’re asking yourself now would never arise because you wouldn’t snuff out one passion short to explore another. Rather, you’d position yourself to support/explore both.

If you’re bored with your car and find the gladiator kooky and interesting, while not having any need to tow or desire to trail quite a bit, I wouldn’t do it based on what you’re saying.
Ideally I would have a Gladiator and a Porsche. But I can only have one car that does both. Hence the S4.
Sponsored