Sponsored

Gladiator vs the power wagon

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Dang, tough choices, but kiddos only going to get bigger. If this is your primary vehicle, then the PW will give you the space for growing kids. They and their friends will take tons of space.
Part of the conundrum is that it’s not the primary family vehicle- my wife traded her JL a few months ago for this same reason and our towing needs (Ford Expedition). But we both need to be able to carry the kids each day, not always all 3 at the same time, but different combinations on any given day (busy medical careers with long commutes). Looking for other car seat solutions but my hopes aren’t very high.
Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I hate to say it but I’m actually considering trading my JT Rubicon for a Power Wagon right now. I love my JT dearly and still not sure I can stomach letting it go. However, with a new baby this past July we are now a family of 5 with 3 kids in car seats. I’ve been making it work with the slimmest seats available- diono radian for the 4 year old, graco snugride for the baby and peg perego viaggio flex booster for the 7 year old. The problem is the booster- its nearly impossible to buckle the seat belt between it and the infant seat, and the JT’s semi rigid connectors make it even harder. I tried a diono rear facing for the baby instead of the infant seat and it’s even worse- actually impossible. So basically once the baby is out of the carrier (6 more months max) I won’t be able to carry the kids.

Interior space and comfort is really the only place the Power Wagon wins in my opinion. That being said It’s the only vehicle I think I can possibly give up my JT for. If only the JT was 2 inches wider…
You want space for days, and towing, and pickup capacity when needed, Chevy Suburban for the Win. Those things have serious room and can also be had with 4x4.

You have/had a ford Expo, so you know the space for days deal those type of trucks provide.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
You want space for days, and towing, and pickup capacity when needed, Chevy Suburban for the Win. Those things have serious room and can also be had with 4x4.

You have/had a ford Expo, so you know the space for days deal those type of trucks provide.
Yea we just bought the Expedition- love it so far. So much more relaxed when all the kids have space. Tows our 6500lb travel trailer like its not there. Just did a 12 hour each way camping trip a week ago and it was awesome. Never a Ford fan but very impressed so far. Cross shopped Tahoes and Suburbans but the car seat features of an Expedition win hands down (3rd row access with seats installed in the 2nd row, 2nd row bench flexibility). I really prefer and need a truck though, and both my wife and I need to be able to carry the kids on a daily basis- so I need a truck that can carry the kids.

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
I like them, but for me the nails in the coffin were in no particular order:

• Expensiver
  • Fuel economy is asinine for a daily driver (or otherwise)
  • A heavy 2500 frame with compromised payload/towing
  • No one will wave at me
  • Likely too heavy for sand
  • Too wide for most of my hunting trails
This made me lol.

Sponsored

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I currently own both, well, sorta. '21 JTRD and a '21 Ram 2500 Diesel with a Carli 2.5" lift and 35s. I test drove the PW but it's payload couldn't tow my race car trailer.

The big Ram is awesome, except when you drive it around town, through tight trails, or parking it. The JT is awesome in all of the inverse areas - and arguably will get me much further off the beaten path.

Driving them back to back, multiple times, really highlights how different they are.

My needs require the big truck to pull my trailer. If I didn't have that, however, I'd definitely go JT as even though it's not as comfortable, not as capable, noisy as hell, and disproportionately ugly - it's still more fun and has more character than the big Ram.

LiftedJTRD - 1.jpeg

LiftedRam - 1.jpeg

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was watching a recent TRL video where they did a drone shot overheat showing a TRX and a new Bronco. The TRX was ENORMOUS compared to the Bronco. And the Rubicon is similar to the Bronco. A bit narrower and also longer.

But the TRX was HUUGGEEE.

MrClortho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I traded my '21 Power Wagon for a '22 Gladiator last Saturday so here is my take.

Power: This is obvious but the 392 Hemi was a beast with 4:10 gears. The 3.6L does the job OK I suppose but not even close. The PW loafed along at 90mph loaded and could light up the 35's even rolling.

Ride: The JT rides much, much, much better than the PW in every way. Better steering, much better brakes, much softer suspension.

Size: The PW is massive and heavy. Even locked on both ends, I buried it twice (mud and sand) where I thought it wouldn't. On both occasions, I grabbed the JK and snatched out the beast with ease. The JK on 35's with a Yukon LS did circles around the PW off-road. Weight is killer, which is why on this new JT build, I am going all aluminum armor.
The PW is so massive that parking is a challenge and it would not fit in most parking garages at all, which is a problem in Houston. You roll into every parking situation scanning for the best spot to back into with only a wide swing and a 2 point turn. Often times it is a 3 or 4 point turn in the city to park and you have to duck under the tow mirrors to walk out. The JT just whips into any spot.

Fuel Economy: LOL...9.5-11 in town, 13-14 highway in the PW. The stock JT on Mud TA's is averaging 18 in town and a little over 20 highway.

Comfort: I love the JT, but the PW was superior in comfort, except for the ride quality. I even have the upgraded leather seats and extra insulation package in the JT, and it does not match the comfort of the PW. That being said, the JT is light years ahead in comfort to my JK.

Am I glad I traded up? Yes, for sure.

en2dirt

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I traded my '21 Power Wagon for a '22 Gladiator last Saturday so here is my take.

Power: This is obvious but the 392 Hemi was a beast with 4:10 gears. The 3.6L does the job OK I suppose but not even close. The PW loafed along at 90mph loaded and could light up the 35's even rolling.

Ride: The JT rides much, much, much better than the PW in every way. Better steering, much better brakes, much softer suspension.

Size: The PW is massive and heavy. Even locked on both ends, I buried it twice (mud and sand) where I thought it wouldn't. On both occasions, I grabbed the JK and snatched out the beast with ease. The JK on 35's with a Yukon LS did circles around the PW off-road. Weight is killer, which is why on this new JT build, I am going all aluminum armor.
The PW is so massive that parking is a challenge and it would not fit in most parking garages at all, which is a problem in Houston. You roll into every parking situation scanning for the best spot to back into with only a wide swing and a 2 point turn. Often times it is a 3 or 4 point turn in the city to park and you have to duck under the tow mirrors to walk out. The JT just whips into any spot.

Fuel Economy: LOL...9.5-11 in town, 13-14 highway in the PW. The stock JT on Mud TA's is averaging 18 in town and a little over 20 highway.

Comfort: I love the JT, but the PW was superior in comfort, except for the ride quality. I even have the upgraded leather seats and extra insulation package in the JT, and it does not match the comfort of the PW. That being said, the JT is light years ahead in comfort to my JK.

Am I glad I traded up? Yes, for sure.

Agree 100% with you. I traded my 2018 Power Wagon in for my 2021 JTR and have no regrets. The PW was awesome, but a beast to drive and get around as a daily driver.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I went the opposite way. JT to a PW. Part of me really missed the JT. Part of me doesn’t. They’re apples and oranges and it depends what you do. I never saw those mpg in my gladiator. Overall I got 2-3 mpg better in the gladiator vs the pw. The size and highway noise of the JT is what drove me to change in the end. And I’ve had quite a few jeeps in the past. Two of those were jks and for some reason my jt just seemed noisier. I don’t think size is a fair negative cause it’s the same as any other HD.

It’s a little stiffer but a lot more comfortable in every other way. Only thing is the gas mileage is pretty bad. Nothing much to do there but accept it. From my understanding though it’s on par with the other HD gassers.

PW45

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Dad, Veteran, Electrical Engineer
I had a power wagon and rubicon wrangler, both sucked on the highway, both kicked ASS off the highway and both broke down last summer. I combined to the jeep truck in Mojave. Love it and couldn't be happier.

here's how much clearance I had parking my PW at the Safeco Field garage.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs the power wagon 20191220_192353

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I like them, but for me the nails in the coffin were in no particular order:

• Expensiver
  • Fuel economy is asinine for a daily driver (or otherwise)
  • A heavy 2500 frame with compromised payload/towing
  • No one will wave at me
  • Likely too heavy for sand
  • Too wide for most of my hunting trails
No topless option
No doorless option
Easier/ smaller to navigate around town and parking

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I priced and tested one. It was a lot more money once loaded with toys and it was just too big for me.

Also, the removable top and doors was part of the reason I got the Jeep.

If you are willing to give up the removable top and doors there are tons of midsized options too.

With that said, I included toys in the power wagon that aren't even offered in the Jeep. So it wasn't purely apples to apples.

Its still freaking huge.

And all the shit that people talk about when people say "Hey the Bronco is nice" mostly applies to the power wagon. Except for the interior. Which is very nice on all Ram pickups.

Last edited: