Sponsored

Gladiator vs Wrangler..which holds value better?

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
Pre Covid.
Supply issues now have created an unusual scenario which is very hard to compare with past years. I say, “Get em while there hot before there’s none on the lot!”
For sure. I’ve just noticed the wranglers have gone up even more.

not to complain about the JT but more to point out the iconic wrangler will always have the higher resale.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It seems the Wrangler is holding its value better. Why is this?
Why not? It's smaller, more of a family vehicle for those wanting such thing.
There are thousands of Wranglers around here. We can't drive 15 minutes without seeing dozens of 'em.
Women around here love 'em.
They are short fit any garage, you can haul a lot of family stuff in them, easy to park.

I know several people who bought used Wranglers and then later (in one case 5 years later) sold 'em for what they paid.
Isn't the Wrangler the best selling of any Jeep? It is around here. Grand Cherokee next in our area.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Gladiator is just too niche IMO. They should really artificially keep supply low on them if they want value to retain. You're going to have a lot of people that are like -- well, I'll give it a shot, and probably abandon it to back to a Wrangler (or Tacoma). I own one, so it's not like I want my resale value to go down, but that's probably what's coming.

Overall, it's expensive, the bed is pretty shallow, the payload is bad, and it's not good at towing. It is however, incredible off road, and if you want a mid size truck that provides a great camping platform (and are OK going over payload) that can go places (without a top) that the other vehicles in it's class likely can't, the Gladiator is incredible. Again, super niche.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Gladiator is just too niche IMO. They should really artificially keep supply low on them if they want value to retain. You're going to have a lot of people that are like -- well, I'll give it a shot, and probably abandon it to back to a Wrangler (or Tacoma). I own one, so it's not like I want my resale value to go down, but that's probably what's coming.

Overall, it's expensive, the bed is pretty shallow, the payload is bad, and it's not good at towing. It is however, incredible off road, and if you want a mid size truck that provides a great camping platform (and are OK going over payload) that can go places (without a top) that the other vehicles in it's class likely can't, the Gladiator is incredible. Again, super niche.
Gladiator payload and towing are very competitive in its class. I tow a large travel trailer with mine regularly and it does fine. It’s an expensive mid sized truck, but it does do all the mid sized truck stuff well, and more. It’s a mid sized truck that’s hella run. That’s about the best way I can describe it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Mi e is good at towing and it's only an Overland. I can only imagine how good a max tow sport is based on the ability of mine.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Gladiator
MSRP* starting at $34,385

Wrangler
MSRP* starting at $29,070

From the Jeep Build & Price page.
Looks like an 18% premium for the Gladiator.

Kevin
But the Gladiator comes with D44 axles and lower gearing. 3:73 compared to the Wrangler's 3.21 with a D35 front axle. Wrangler also come in a 2 door. The difference at the Rubicon level is only $2500. That's only 6% more for a larger vehicle to build. Bigger isn't necessarily better, but it would make it more costly to build.

Was the OP talking about initial cost or was he wanting to know which vehicle will retain it's value better in the long run. Jeeps and trucks both tend to hold their value well. I don't see how you could go wrong with a Jeep Truck.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
It seems the Wrangler is holding its value better. Why is this?
Trucks traditionally hold value better because they have a use/function that goes beyond just transport. You can haul, use it to make money, etc. But the 4 wheeling aspect of Jeeps probably changes that dynamic because a Jeep never loses it value to 4 wheel unless it has rolled down a mountain side and is crushed beyond repair.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Gladiator payload and towing are very competitive in its class. I tow a large travel trailer with mine regularly and it does fine. It’s an expensive mid sized truck, but it does do all the mid sized truck stuff well, and more. It’s a mid sized truck that’s hella run. That’s about the best way I can describe it.
I suppose I probably just have the view that all mid size trucks tow worth shit :)

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I suppose I probably just have the view that all mid size trucks tow worth shit :)
Yes, in comparison to full sized trucks they are lacking. But they sure are a hella lot easier to park.

Sponsored

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
As others have said I think it is too early to really tell. What I can tell you is out west, at least the Rubicon model before just buying new I noticed people with 40k miles USED asking more than what I paid new. Maybe its the shortage with Covid too early to really know.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is that KBB shows my 2020 truck’s trade-in value at almost $5000.000 more than I paid for it 23,000 miles ago. I don’t think I’ve ever had a vehicle appreciate like that before.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
All I know is that KBB shows my 2020 truck’s trade-in value at almost $5000.000 more than I paid for it 23,000 miles ago. I don’t think I’ve ever had a vehicle appreciate like that before.
2019 Challenger netted me 9K after 6,500 miles lol. Just 2 months ago. It’s wild.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Paid $37,100 for my Gladiator in Feb 2020 and it's now got 36,600 miles on it. I was offered $44,000 for it at a place last Thursday. I've got about $3200 in it as far as bumpers and tires and lift. At this point if I sold it I'd make money on it and be driven it 36,000 miles. Wait about 10yrs and see where the value on them are, that's when you can really tell how well either one holds there value. It's no surprise that the wranglers holds it's value, we have known that for years, can't really judge the Gladiator yet, to early in the game.

For record, mines a regular sport, no power windows and no power locks, pretty much a a base model max tow.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's a bit early, (20,21) to start asking and evaluating this question, but it sure is fun to watch!
Sponsored