Sponsored

Stock Mojave suspension vs Sport S Max Tow with Mopar lift: which "drives" better

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I am in Michigan too and max tow with 2" mopar and 35' General Grabbers. Couldn't be happier win the on road characteristics with this set up.

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Lots of Max Tow chiming in here. I’d wait to get more feedback from Mojave owners.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Ride quality is definitely subjective. With that said, I’ve driven both many times. IMO, the Mojave floats over the road at lower speeds while the Max Tow feels more planted. The Rubicon adds a lifted suspension (more travel) feel but is much firmer than the Mojave. All three function as designed for their various purposes. Jeep did a nice job.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
So when people do the mopar lift on the max tow, are you not just throwing away part of the reason of getting the max tow? I was thinking the max tow rear springs were a lot of the reason a max tow is a max tow? With the mopar lift, arent those getting tossed?
Exactly. That's why I did a 2" front spring lift and a 1.38 rear spacer lift. To retain the progressive rear spring. Fox 2.9 on ever corner. Love it!

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
this is just my perspective:

I love the way the Mojave drives. I drove a couple glads back to back at the dealer. I did not like the way the Rubicon drove. Too much pitch and roll and too soft. I would have put suspension on it the first week I had it. Saw the Mojave sitting in the show room and did a little google fu.

“do you like that?” “Yeah i like the color” “its got blah blah blah” (dude actually knew what he was talking about)

“cool. I wanna drive it”.
come back. “Give me this one at the price we agreed to on the rubicon and im signing papers right now.” “Joe, get the Mojave over to delivery prep”

For reference- I have about 200+/-hrs of professional driver training. A mix of off road schools from Baja500 champs, I have a Formula 4 open wheel racecar license, and a bunch of other shit. I can say from that perspective, it is a night and day difference how the Mojave drives compared to the other models. The rigidity from the chassis and the tuning to the suspension is superb. Its kind of shocking to see what cars you keep up with through twisties with it, even on 37’s.

for me, the frame re-inforcements, steering wheel, and seat did it for me as much as the suspension. And i like “special” models. If none of the other things matter to you, and the exclusivity of the Mojave doesnt matter to you, and you want to mod the hell out of it anyway, then get a max tow Or rubicon and mod away.

the performance of the Mojave above the other trims is objective. Whats subjective is whether or not its worth it to you.

Last edited:

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Its kind of shocking to see what cars you keep up with through twisties with it, even on 37’s.
Completely agree. The handling on narrow curvey roads is very impressive for a lifted solid axle vehicle on 33" tires. No issues keeping up with traffic on CA 1.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
this is just my perspective:

I love the way the Mojave drives. I drove a couple glads back to back at the dealer. I did not like the way the Rubicon drove. Too much pitch and roll and too soft. I would have put suspension on it the first week I had it. Saw the Mojave sitting in the show room and did a little google fu.

“do you like that?” “Yeah i like the color” “its got blah blah blah” (dude actually knew what he was talking about)

“cool. I wanna drive it”.
come back. “Give me this one at the price we agreed to on the rubicon and im signing papers right now.” “Joe, get the Mojave over to delivery prep”

For reference- I have about 200+/-hrs of professional driver training. A mix of off road schools from Baja500 champs, I have a Formula 4 open wheel racecar license, and a bunch of other shit. I can say from that perspective, it is a night and day difference how the Mojave drives compared to the other models. The rigidity from the chassis and the tuning to the suspension is superb. Its kind of shocking to see what cars you keep up with through twisties with it, even on 37’s.

for me, the frame re-inforcements, steering wheel, and seat did it for me as much as the suspension. And i like “special” models. If none of the other things matter to you, and the exclusivity of the Mojave doesnt matter to you, and you want to mod the hell out of it anyway, then get a max tow Or rubicon and mod away.

the performance of the Mojave above the other trims is objective. Whats subjective is whether or not its worth it to you.
What he said! I also drove the Rubicon first and then the Mojave. To me it was simple. Mojave.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Exactly. That's why I did a 2" front spring lift and a 1.38 rear spacer lift. To retain the progressive rear spring. Fox 2.9 on ever corner. Love it!
What spring did you go with up front? I have a steel bumper and winch that could factor in.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Considering either a Mojave or Max Tow. About $8k difference (as I'd spec them). Would lift the Max Tow by 2" to add 35" tires, but could live with Mojave's 1" lift for added 35" tires.

One factor I don't know is what the difference between ON ROAD drive quality would be between the Mojave vs. Mopar 2" lift on a Max Tow. I've seen some reviews praising the Mojave's suspension on road ("better than a Rubi, yada yada"). But is it better (and by how much?) than a Max Tow w/2" Mapar lift as far as on-road comfort?

I live in Michigan, so most paved roads are worse than any desert sand dunes or mountain trail could ever hope to be. So which model could earn the coveted and mythical 'Michigan On Road Rated' badge?

No need to point out Mojave's rear locker or other differences between the two models - I've already factored those in.

Thanks for your thoughts and input!
Well based on everything stated here. Instead of asking subjective opinions.......think it's time you drive down to a dealer and take some test drives. Please be assured I'm not trying to be a smart ass or douche. But if you're willing to drop the coin for a JT the ground truth is always more fruitful then opinions.

Time is money in this economy.......spend some time now to either save you money or prevent buyers remorse.

Cheers

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation