Sponsored

Glass Shards Everywhere & Scratched Up Hardtop From Back Glass Replacement

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I’m kinda OCD myself (or CDO if in alphabetical order like it’s supposed to be) and I always take a good look at my truck before I leave. Never know when they may have done a great job but the customer who parked next to your truck (while it was in THEIR possession) hit it with a door and damaged it or some porter dinged it and tried to get away with not saying anything. I’d like to think I would have spotted the scratch repair but I definitely would have noticed the glass in the seat before I left and walked back into the shop to tell them somebody needs to clean that up and if I had noticed the scratch I would also ask what they plan to do about it. Give them a chance to step up and make things right before going nuts. As said by you, it was a subcontractor, not the dealer but they need to know not to call that glass guy again and be given the chance to earn your future business. If they don’t want to rectify the situation satisfactorily, then you take the next steps and the next to get your vehicle back to the condition it was when they took possession however far that may be and find a different dealer to earn your future business. Even if the better dealer is many miles out of the way, it’s worth the drive in the end.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/Max Tow
THANK you everyone so much for all of the feedback. I really appreciate the support. You guys are awesome!

I’m going to for sure bring it back this afternoon... I would bring it back this morning but I don’t want my kids in the back until the glass is gone so I have to wait for my wife to get home.

I did take pictures the day before the glass install of my hardtop, so luckily I do have plenty of evidence that it was in perfect shape before the install.

Fingers crossed that all goes well this afternoon!

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a NO BRAINER! If you've had numerous issues with this dealership in the past, why the heck do you go back???
@midironman - Because I had originally brought it to them for the steering TSB, and for the back window leaking way back on September 1st. It was during that service when I started having issues with the dealership (it’s a long story)… But they tried to re-seal the glass on September 1st and that didn’t fix the leak.

In talking with Jeep Cares, had I taken it to a new dealership I would have likely had to start the process over at the new dealership (re-sealing the glass again, waiting to see if that fixes it, etc. I just wanted to be done with it and get it fixed.

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m kinda OCD myself (or CDO if in alphabetical order like it’s supposed to be) and I always take a good look at my truck before I leave. Never know when they may have done a great job but the customer who parked next to your truck (while it was in THEIR possession) hit it with a door and damaged it or some porter dinged it and tried to get away with not saying anything. I’d like to think I would have spotted the scratch repair but I definitely would have noticed the glass in the seat before I left and walked back into the shop to tell them somebody needs to clean that up and if I had noticed the scratch I would also ask what they plan to do about it. Give them a chance to step up and make things right before going nuts. As said by you, it was a subcontractor, not the dealer but they need to know not to call that glass guy again and be given the chance to earn your future business. If they don’t want to rectify the situation satisfactorily, then you take the next steps and the next to get your vehicle back to the condition it was when they took possession however far that may be and find a different dealer to earn your future business. Even if the better dealer is many miles out of the way, it’s worth the drive in the end.
@12BNNT - Thanks for the advice! It wasn't an ideal situation when I got there. I was running late to pick up our 2 year old daughter from childcare so I was in a rush. All I was able to do was just glance at the glass from the ground, and I had to go.

I did take pictures before the service showing that the hardtop was in perfect condition beforehand.

Yea I'm for sure going to drive to the dealership that is further away now. Never, ever will I use that dealership again after this is fixed.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Along with everyone else, I'd definitely be back at the dealer. You do not have to tolerate shoddy work like that. Several folks have mentioned the subcontractor caused the damage. That is irrelevent and an issue for the dealer to resolve with the glass company. Your transaction was with the dealer and THEY are responsible. Personnally I would press for a new top...not sure how anyone could ever replicate the texturing and color not to mention the blending into the original top.

Don't let this go, even if you have to resort to small claims and an attorney...

Just my $.02. Good luck!

Last edited:

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I can remember a time when folks took pride in their work. Stay calm and lawyer up beforehand but do not mention it needlessly.

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
lawyer up beforehand
Why do people always toss out this recommendation? Did lawyers start offering their services for free at some point and I didn't hear about it? A lawyer could cost more than just purchasing a new hardtop outright

Maybe a few hundred bucks to have them write a cookie cutter letter or something but sheesh. I don't know how things work in the car world, but at my employer, the second you even threaten to bring legal action we immediately stop all support to you and you now only deal with our legal department.

Anyway, I'm all ears if I'm off the mark here because this certainly isn't an area that I'm familiar with, it just seems crazy to me for people to be told to lawyer up for something like that. Document your conversations and all that for sure, but to secure a lawyer before even brining the thing back in?!?

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Why do people always toss out this recommendation? Did lawyers start offering their services for free at some point and I didn't hear about it? A lawyer could cost more than just purchasing a new hardtop outright

Maybe a few hundred bucks to have them write a cookie cutter letter or something but sheesh. I don't know how things work in the car world, but at my employer, the second you even threaten to bring legal action we immediately stop all support to you and you now only deal with our legal department.

Anyway, I'm all ears if I'm off the mark here because this certainly isn't an area that I'm familiar with, it just seems crazy to me for people to be told to lawyer up for something like that. Document your conversations and all that for sure, but to secure a lawyer before even brining the thing back in?!?
What I was referring to was small claims court and I would ask a attorney for advice - not necessarily full representation. 1st choice would be to resolve directly with the dealer. If they have any interest in retaining a customer, they shouldn't fight the OP.

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE:

So I just got back from the dealership.

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised... they were super nice about it, and very apologetic. They vacuumed out all the glass & dust, and said if I find anymore to come back and they'll remove the seats if needed.

Also, since there is a gouge in the hardtop, that's not something they can fix or repair. So they are going to order a new hardtop for me, and it should come in the next week or two.

I'm assuming the glass company is paying for it since they are the one's that jacked it up, but who knows.

Anyways, as much as it sucks to have to go through this, so far they are taking care of me & working to make it right.

Thanks again for the feedback & help guys!! I'm so glad I brought it back and didn't just let it slide. So thank you again!

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
UPDATE:

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised... they were super nice about it, and very apologetic. They vacuumed out all the glass & dust, and said if I find anymore to come back and they'll remove the seats if needed.

Also, since there is a gouge in the hardtop, that's not something they can fix or repair. So they are going to order a new hardtop for me, and it should come in the next week or two.

I'm assuming the glass company is paying for it since they are the one's that jacked it up, but who knows.

Anyways, as much as it sucks to have to go through this, so far they are taking care of me & working to make it right.

Thanks again for the feedback & help guys!! I'm so glad I brought it back and didn't just let it slide. So thank you again!
Awesome news! Let us know how the new top goes.

Sponsored

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Along with everyone else, I'd definitely be back at the dealer. You do not have to tolerate shoddy work like that. Several folks have mentioned the subcontractor caused the damage. That is irrelevent and an issue for the dealer to resolve with the glass company. Your transaction was with the dealer and THEY are responsible. Personnally I would press for a new top...not sure how anyone could ever replicate the texturing and color not to mention the blending into the original top.

Don't let this go, even you have to resort to small claims and an attorney...

Just my $.02. Good luck!

Yup. This. These friggin things are expensive enough for what you get. Jeep ain't taking a bath with every one of these they sell, that's for sure. As such, you paid for a truck with a properly installed, non-leaky window and a non-scratched roof. I would accept nothing less from a repair job.

Edit*- Just saw you're getting a new top. Glad it worked out for you.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
UPDATE:

Everything about this is right. You handled yourself with composure and they're making it right.

No need to preemptively get lawyers involved and go in there with guns blazing. Good job, and the dealership is behaving like they should with the customer.

Glad to see/hear it!!

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Awesome resolution, as it should be. I just hope the back window in the replacement hardtop doesn't leak! :bandit:

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Glad to hear you got a positive response from the dealer. And thank you very much for following up. All too often we see posts about horrible workmanship/repairs and never find out what happened.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
UPDATE:

That is AWESOME! And exactly how it should work out. Sounds like good dealer to work with and someone worth a bit of loyalty. Congrats on what sounds like a great outcome!
Sponsored