GMRS License

OP
OP

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I just spent my $70 and received my license but recommend people hold off if they can. I wish I would have know when I applied but the price is going down soon. Back in December, they revised things and said they will be chopping the license fee in half. It will be $35 for a 10-year license but not sure when.
You have to realize this is the Federal government. Who knows when this will change and to be honest with the new administration that may change again. $7.00 a year isn't all that bad. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a price change.
Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
I admit that I am GMRS ignorant, and this whole licensing thing sounds like an unenforceable bureaucratic nightmare.
What are the knowledge requirements and testing criteria to obtain this license?
What purpose does this license serve?
What benefit will citizens derive from this license?
Do these operation the same frequencies as the Walkie Talkies we played with as kids?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I admit that I am GMRS ignorant, and this whole licensing thing sounds like an unenforceable bureaucratic nightmare.
What are the knowledge requirements and testing criteria to obtain this license?
What purpose does this license serve?
What benefit will citizens derive from this license?
Do these operation the same frequencies as the Walkie Talkies we played with as kids?
They give you a call sign to use on repeaters and now you are legal using the power you could before. That is really about it. You don't need to know anything to actually get this license.

These are pretty much just higher powered FRS ones with detachable antennas.

Beastmaster

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, 1943 Willys MB and a Ural M70 mototcycle
No test required.

The reason for a license for GMRS and not FRS is the output of the radios. As mentioned earlier, any radio that transmits over 2 watts requires a license and that is the max power of FRS where GMRS can go up to 50 watts depending on the set.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
No test required.

The reason for a license for GMRS and not FRS is the output of the radios. As mentioned earlier, any radio that transmits over 2 watts requires a license and that is the max power of FRS where GMRS can go up to 50 watts depending on the set.
My question is, what is the point of this? You have to have the license because you have to have the license?

Sponsored

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
My question is, what is the point of this? You have to have the license because you have to have the license?
You have to have the license because to .gov (FCC) says you have to have the license. Whether they enforce it or not is unknown. It's up to you on whether you want to be legit or not.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
From what I understand, it's just about knowing how many/who is using it. BUT... my guess is that since it's FCC regulated and you've got a specific call sign and you are on there doing nefarious things, they want to know who you are.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
From what I understand, it's just about knowing how many/who is using it. BUT... my guess is that since it's FCC regulated and you've got a specific call sign and you are on there doing nefarious things, they want to know who you are.
Gee, and I lost my radio in an unfortunate boating accident...

Sponsored

Beastmaster

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, kind of.

It's like a driver's license; if you don't have one, there's nothing physically stopping you from driving. It's a government bureaucracy thing I'm sure.
It's my guess that only a small number of Jeepers with GMRS radios are licensed. Will the FCC radio police be going after them? Probably not but I just feel better knowing that's just one less thing in my life that I need to think about. Why the fee? I couldn't say but in the digital age, they can't say it was to pay someone to handle the paperwork. I applied on line, paid my fee on line and printed an electronic copy of my license on line.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Lol, kind of.

It's like a driver's license; if you don't have one, there's nothing physically stopping you from driving.
It's my guess that only a small number of Jeepers with GMRS radios are licensed. Will the FCC radio police be going after them? Probably not but I just feel better knowing that's just one less thing in my life that I need to think about. Why the fee? I couldn't say but in the digital age, they can't say it was to pay someone to handle the paperwork. I applied on line, paid my fee on line and printed an electronic copy of my license on line.
But a drivers license involves the ability to test to and show knowledge of several laws as well as demonstrate the ability to operate a vehicle. Ostensibly, there is a valid reason for it. This GMRS license appears to be "because I said so."

Beastmaster

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But a drivers license involves the ability to test to and show knowledge of several laws as well as demonstrate the ability to operate a vehicle. Ostensibly, there is a valid reason for it. This GMRS license appears to be "because I said so."
You make a valid point 🤞

It's because the FCC said so.

I guess it's like they say: "Only 2 things in life are certain: Death and Taxes"

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
As said before, the purpose of the license is to use radios with more power then 2 watts, I have hand helds that are 5 watts and a radio in the truck at 50 watts. If you want more power to transmit further you need the license.
Your supposed to use your call sign every 15mins and is how other know you have a license and are legal.
The good thing even at $70.00 is it’s for 10 years and covers your family.
So as of now it’s just $7.00 a year, big deal.
Even better when it goes to $35.00 for 10 years but there is no solid information and when the change will happen.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
You really seem to be fighting this licensing fee, don’t worry about it.
Just get a FRS radio to communicate with others, that requires no license and it can communicate with GMRS radios on certain channels.
You just won’t get the same range.
Sponsored