Sponsored

Have any of you guys noticed hood fluttering at high speeds?

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Apparently I’m the only one so far with a gladiator that has had this issue. I’m about to be at 6k miles myself all highway 70+ mph everyday to work and back. I’ve noticed it for awhile and thought I was just seeing things till I confirmed with my gf The hood was moving while at 70mph on freeway. I removed spring from hood and doesn’t do it anymore
Just seems crazy you would have to remove an OEM parts to fix an issue that is supposed to actually keep the hood stable. Go figure!
Sponsored

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Just seems crazy you would have to remove an OEM parts to fix an issue that is supposed to actually keep the hood stable. Go figure!
This is my first Jeep. But I have read on the other Jeep forms this is a common issue with older jeeps. And looking at aftermarket hood latches in description they even comment on hood flutter issues. I might put the spring back on and upgrade hood latches to rugged ridge

Reactions: Len

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I refer to these things as Mods. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Len

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I currently drive a TJ. If you really want to see one hop around at 80 give me a call and I'll take you for a ride.
I have a TJ too, and that hood flutters like a butterfly! I don’t notice any flutter on my JT.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The JL latches are such a massive improvement over the JK latches its crazy. The JK had stretchy rubber for hood hold downs that's all. The JLs are better, adding some rigid plastic to the latch, but you can get aluminum ones that will secure the hood better.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I’ve seen mine slightly move a few times, but nothing concerning. My 08 JKU Rubicon had it bad. It was super sketch if I passed a semi. I ended up getting updated hood latches and it helped a lot.

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Haven't noticed an issue yet in my JT.

I installed JL hood latches on my JK and also put a tuffy hood lock on, that kept it real secure.

Last edited:

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
I've noticed some but not near as bad as my JK. I was disappointed to see it as I thought the updated latches were a huge improvement over the JK. Hasn't been enough to make me cough up the coin for replacements though.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I removed the spring on my JKR years ago. It helps. But if it's really windy out and you're on the highway that hood will lift up....just a tad.

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
Yep, I get it. Did a long trip from Nashville to Colorado and back, saw plenty of fluttering. If I couldn't see the latches holding the hood down, I'd have been more nervous.

Sponsored

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently I’m the only one so far with a gladiator that has had this issue. I’m about to be at 6k miles myself all highway 70+ mph everyday to work and back. I’ve noticed it for awhile and thought I was just seeing things till I confirmed with my gf The hood was moving while at 70mph on freeway. I removed spring from hood and doesn’t do it anymore
Honestly, I had it flutter once that I have noticed and it was a good one......was convinced that I would replace latches, which I will likely do anyway, but I have only seen it once....

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a TJ too, and that hood flutters like a butterfly! I don’t notice any flutter on my JT.
My TJ never flutter not once over the 20 years of ownership....my sons JK fluttered so bad when a big truck was passed on the highway that it was scary....

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Should watch the hood on a CJ :CWL:

Only seen it happen once. Semi passed me doing about 90, I was doing 75, and I had a few bounces.

Bolt hood lock that's coming will cure that and make it more secure.

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
Just noticed it when a semi passed me on a two lane highway. Then over and over again as I passed more of them. It was a bit of an uneasy feeling. I would think more spring tension, not removing the spring would be the answer? I have a TJ as well, done a lot of highway driving with it, and I have never noticed anything like this..