Heater/AC blowing hot air at 60 or higher

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload

The fact is that the vast majority of these systems are working as designed and as programmed ...

The other fact is that they are designed and programmed poorly and tend to irritate people with their seemingly random nature ...
Seriously do you work for Jeep?

So the HVAC is “working as designed” in order to “irritate people with their seemingly random nature” ?

I don’t think it’s working as designed since:
1) that hasn’t been defined (how it works)
2) no one from Jeep or the dealer seems to know how the system works, they all say different crap.

But if dropping it to LO somehow changes how the system acts, that doesn’t make sense and that hasn’t been defined in the manual. So how exactly could it be working as designed?
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Seriously do you work for Jeep?

So the HVAC is “working as designed” in order to “irritate people with their seemingly random nature” ?

I don’t think it’s working as designed since:
1) that hasn’t been defined (how it works)
2) no one from Jeep or the dealer seems to know how the system works, they all say different crap.

But if dropping it to LO somehow changes how the system acts, that doesn’t make sense and that hasn’t been defined in the manual. So how exactly could it be working as designed?
I cant keep going back and forth ...

No, I don't work for jeep. I do design and maintain industrial environmental control systems and as a result have a good understanding of how temperature and humidification systems work and interrelate with each other ...

What is in the Jeep is a small environmental control system ... I never said that it was well thought out or good ... Just that it is likely working per spec. That spec may suck but either way likely working as designed ... Probably needs a re-design or at least some serious adjustment ...

I've said a few times the same thing that you are ignoring ... Your changing parameters likely affects the control logic in unpredictable ways. That why when you do it it responds with something that "to you" makes no sense ... I assure that if a systems engineer looked, it would make perfect sense ... It would also like cause him to agree that the way it is implemented is poor at best ...

That being said, I think that I have added enough to this and folks are likely growing weary of my utterings so Ill graciously sit back and let others try to explain more ... Im obviously not getting through ...

But one last thing ... Try setting it to auto ... If anything it will cause your blood pressure to drop as opposed to the temp ...

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I cant keep going back and forth ...

No, I don't work for jeep. I do design and maintain industrial environmental control systems and as a result have a good understanding of how temperature and humidification systems work and interrelate with each other ...

What is in the Jeep is a small environmental control system ... I never said that it was well thought out or good ... Just that it is likely working per spec. That spec may suck but either way likely working as designed ... Probably needs a re-design or at least some serious adjustment ...

I've said a few times the same thing that you are ignoring ... Your changing parameters likely affects the control logic in unpredictable ways. That why when you do it it responds with something that "to you" makes no sense ... I assure that if a systems engineer looked, it would make perfect sense ... It would also like cause him to agree that the way it is implemented is poor at best ...

That being said, I think that I have added enough to this and folks are likely growing weary of my utterings so Ill graciously sit back and let others try to explain more ... Im obviously not getting through ...

But one last thing ... Try setting it to auto ... If anything it will cause your blood pressure to drop as opposed to the temp ...
Dear Stellantis,
Your Gladiator product has a software/coding issue that causes the HVAC system to work in a manner that no logical person can accept as normal or working properly. 18 pages of discussion on an enthusiast forum spells it out. Please hire somebody that understands PID loop logic better than I.;)

Davidarmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
No, again. It is not a "rant" just because you don't like what he said ... Or don't understand the why of it all. And I'm not being nasty here. Just trying to be clear.

The way he described it is exactly as it works ... And additionally to address what I believe you think is happening and the source of a lot of confusion, there IS NO MANUAL TEMPERATURE MODE no matter the setting.

People are putting these systems into "manual" mode and thinking that they can now control the air temp coming out of the vents ... You can never directly affect or control the air temperature coming out of the vents. And YES I AGREE THAT THIS IS REALLY DUMB . But you cant. (Unless you set it to LO or HI) ... ANYTHING ELSE tries to make the cabin the temp on the display.

Auto mode ONLY automatically controls fan speed AND which vents are used. It still regulates the temperature to the number you set and will raise/lower temp to make that temp. Thats it.

And again, we all agree that it is ridiculous ...

But as far as making it like an old car where you can move a lever and blow whatever temp you desire, that ship has sailed ...

I wish manual was actually 100% manual ... It aint ...
Thank you very much and yes you are very correct, and yes it was nowhere near being a rant so I suspect he has reading comprehension difficulties. He also didn’t understand that I was not talking about the “auto” button at all and I am aware that he is manually selecting a temperature, but he still does not understand that it is not ever in manual mode unless it says “Lo” or “Hi” but there is no point in arguing any farther because he clearly doesn’t even understand the core of the issue.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
Did anyone ever get a fix to this?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes.
But be warned - in my case this drastically changed how my heat works. Now if it's 45-55 outside and you have the heat on, once it warms up inside and after driving at least 20 minutes or so, I get 58 degree air coming out of the dash vents (yes, I used my AC thermometer to actually stick inside the vent and measure the temperature)
You'll be driving along at 50 mph or higher and feel chilly because cool air is coming out the vents. Supposedly this is the CORRECT way it should work according to the OWNERS MANUAL - warm air at feet, cooler air out the dash. It's literally in the book as being correct. Brrrr.

Jeep Gladiator Heater/AC blowing hot air at 60 or higher HVAC-TSB

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
Yes.
But be warned - in my case this drastically changed how my heat works. Now if it's 45-55 outside and you have the heat on, once it warms up inside and after driving at least 20 minutes or so, I get 58 degree air coming out of the dash vents (yes, I used my AC thermometer to actually stick inside the vent and measure the temperature)
You'll be driving along at 50 mph or higher and feel chilly because cool air is coming out the vents. Supposedly this is the CORRECT way it should work according to the OWNERS MANUAL - warm air at feet, cooler air out the dash. It's literally in the book as being correct. Brrrr.

Jeep Gladiator Heater/AC blowing hot air at 60 or higher HVAC-TSB
So would you have rather left it the way it was?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So would you have rather left it the way it was?
In my case it was rare that it kicked out the warm humid air with the AC on.
The conditions had to be right - hot and humid out, AND long drive, over 45 minutes, usually over 60 minutes before it did it the first time, then it only lasted seconds and went right back to AC mode after a few seconds.
Mine never use to kick cool air out the dash vents when it was below 60. I don't like driving along and having 58 degree air suddenly BLOWING at my face and hands.
At least the warm moist air when the AC was running was only out the passenger side and only from down low - never in the face. I'd take that over being chilly from being outside, getting in and hoping the cabin warmed up to 68 or 70 degrees and then just when things are perfect, cold air come blasting out the dash right at my face and hands. Yes, I DO turn the vents - but I used to rely on WARM air coming out those vents to WARM my hands.
Frankly, IMO - the fix sucks.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Here in Florida....I have my AC set to 64...which up until few days ago as worked perfectly....but now that the outside temp is actually dropping below that...it insists on full heat....which is not what we want...the system seems to binary...AC set to 64...outside @60....BAM crank up the heat. For now, Ive gone back to manual mode.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
Just took delivery of our 2020 Gladiator last week and absolutely love it!

Has anyone had issues with hot air blowing out at settings of 60 or higher? If we bring it to Low and begin feeling cooler air and then increase to 65 it's fine for a moment. Then, hot air begins to blow and it feels the same if we have it set at 65 or 80.

Dealer looked at it and told us no codes showed up when analyzing and that there have been no issues reported, however this doesn't seem right. They recommended we drive it for a bit and see what happens.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
we had an issue with a 2019 e torque sahara that would only blow hot air after the jeep went into start stop. It was absolutely insane jeep claimed it was designed that way. All the etorques did it. we traded that vehicle in. Cant be expected to sweat our asses off in the summer while the ac is on because of start stop. it was interesting though because my 2018 JL has the same start stop and didnt do that ever.

Sponsored

$1.98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
It is not the most seamless auto HVAC. I get the warm humid air once in a while, not a problem because it doesn't last long. Now that the temps are cooler I get cool air out the vents and sometimes blazing hot out below. Takes it while to make up it's mind. The cool air out the vents is probably the most annoying. Mine is a Nov. 20 build 21 model that hasn't been updated.

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hate to revive an old thread but I have same issue. Working as designed is kind of bS without a statement as to what the design is.

Either it’s:
1) Temp set is temp expected to be blown
or
2) Temp set is cabin temp and heat blown is to heat up the cabin to that ambient temp.

In either case it’s not working as expected and it’s disappointing that after several years of complaints, My 2022 has this issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Either it’s:
or
2) Temp set is cabin temp and heat blown is to heat up the cabin to that ambient temp.
It will blow whatever is needed to get the cabin to the temperature you set. It's not like a heat pump that blows 70 degree air if you have it set to 68 in the winter - taking 30 minutes to warm up the house. It's more like if you set it to 68 it's going to blow 75 degree air to get it to 68 faster and then cooler than 75 air coming out the vents to maintain that 68 degrees.
I've noticed that it detects the sunshine, and outside temperature as well. When the ambient air sensor went beserk a few weeks ago and said it was 80+ degrees and it was below 0 outside, the truck never did warm up inside and kept putting out 50 degree air.
Once the sensor - on its own - later started showing 100% accurate ambient air temps (outside the cabin temps) then the HVAC started working as expected.
I do dislike that it blows cooler air through the dash vents, though, when you are trying to get it warmed up in there.
Mine have worked great in the summer. AC is perfect, the HVAC is brilliant in the summer and fall and spring, but come winter, it's not so great. It's either baking you or freezing your hands with cool air out the dash vents when it's 30 degrees out.
My 2020 actually did great in the winter until they applied that "fix" to deal with the occasional warm air in the summer. I really wish I had left that one alone. The 2022 acts like the 2020 did after that fix.

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma
Hate to revive an old thread but I have same issue. Working as designed is kind of bS without a statement as to what the design is.

Either it’s:
or

In either case it’s not working as expected and it’s disappointing that after several years of complaints, My 2022 has this issue.
TL;DR for this thread: a combination of shitty HVAC control logic, shitty sensor placement and system design, combined with #LegendaryMoparReliability means you have to use the LO and HI settings to make get the vent temperature you want.

Or just take the roof and doors off; then drive fast to stay cool in the summer, and bundle up to stay warm in the winter.

Yes my 2020 has the same issue, No I'm not sad I got rid of the Tacoma and bought a Jeep.

Wasatch1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I'm in the same boat. And yes I have been in the HVAC/R industry for 30 years. This system sucks! 30°-50° ambient it's dying to get the cabin to 60°, no matter if I want Luke warm air in my face or not. I have a commercial auto changeover thermostat in my home that can choose between A/C or heat 65°-75° parameters. I still set my Temps daily to what I like, want, or need. So sick of going to work (short drive) and having to pick, either LO cold ambient air or 60° blast furnace in my face...
Sponsored