Sponsored

Heater/defroster temperature control is TERRIBLE...anyone else have the same issue?

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
Mine seems to be OK as far as not switching between hot/cold airflow, but I have to set the temperature to 66º if I want the cabin to feel like 70º. Seems to work as designed other than the temperature calibration.
Sponsored

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I have this issue sometimes. Im wondering if its where the interior temp sensor is, located right side steering column and recessed. Might get mixed temperature ? Not sure but it annoys me often.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
i am a person who like to use the manual setting and control everything. Always have been. I never use the auto, but since mine does the same. (blazing hot, no matter really what setting), I have started to turn on the auto instead. Either way, I think mine sucks, but I still love my truck either way. The heat / AC not so much.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I find the auto mode worthless. Like the OP, it seems too hot until I turn it way down. Sometime it’s only cool if it’s at 60 or 61. As soon as I go higher the temp jumps up. There is a lack of modulation. Depending on the outside temperature, the air temp form the hvac varies. So there is no consistency on what works for setting the temp.

Summer time it works fine because it always needs to be cold. It’s when it’s 45-60 degrees outside. It’s like it can’t decide if you want to warm up or cool down. Makes me miss the three dial system I had in my 4 runner. I truly hate over engineered things.

I’ve learned to deal with it. But It sometimes it takes more effort to set it satisfactory. I don’t think it’s broke or defective. I just think they use an algorithm to set the temp of the air, depending on the ambient temp and it isn’t good. For example, if it’s 50 ambient temp, but you want a little cool air, setting it at 60 barely gives cool air. And any higher temp gives you warm air.
It's not supposed to be that way. Take it to the dealership.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
It's not supposed to be that way. Take it to the dealership.
I just read through the two threads you linked earlier, and it seems like they cooperate that it's just the way this system is.

But it does look like there is a possible flash or update in one of the post. Certainly doesn’t hurt to try that. I’m taking it in for an oil change soon, so I’ll have them take a look at it.

thanks for the links to the other threads.

Sponsored

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Turning on the "recirc" will stabilize it somewhat, I noticed when that button is off, the variable outside ram air from driving seriously affects airflow/temperature. It is much more stable when it has a constant input air pressure.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Was worried about this potential issue before I bought mine.
So far, perfectly happy with mine. Have not used manual mode, auto mode works really well for me. In this cold snap, 71* setting (lower than expected), heated wheel on, and seat heat on 1. Happy happy.

Wore rubber boots one day. Could smell hot rubber!

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
I find it impossible to control the heater temperature. Set it to 65, ice cold...69, scalding hot, so hot you are now sweating....back down to 65....still raging hot...63...raging hot....LO....finally goes cold......back to 66....ice cold.....up to 72....getting warmer....73....blazing hot.....back down to 65......still blazing hot. Both sides set at th same temp and different temps coming out of right and left side.

Dealer told me it senses outside air and adjusts accordingly....I'm sorry, but if I set the temp at 66, it shouldn't be blowing 90 degree air and roasting me out of the car.

Anyone know how to fix this, as this isn't normal and the dealer keeps bullshitting us.
I have the same issues. I think the system is way overengineered and automated, especially in supposed "manual" mode (there is still sensing and automation in the manual mode!!).

I would like the option to disable all the automation and thermostats, and simply control the amount of heat coming off the engine with a knob (cold to hot), the velocity of the fan (off to high), and the location of the air input.

Wait - every car I've owned or driven since 1971 had/has that!!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have the same issues. I think the system is way overengineered and automated, especially in supposed "manual" mode (there is still sensing and automation in the manual mode!!).

I would like the option to disable all the automation and thermostats, and simply control the amount of heat coming off the engine with a knob (cold to hot), the velocity of the fan (off to high), and the location of the air input.

Wait - every car I've owned or driven since 1971 had/has that!!
Have you taken it to the dealer and explained your problem?

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Have you taken it to the dealer and explained your problem?
Why would he waste time doing that when its supposedly the way its supposed to work, and no actual fix in place? Time is valuable.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Why would he waste time doing that when its supposedly the way its supposed to work, and no actual fix in place? Time is valuable.
Because it isn't supposed to be that way. If it was, we'd all be having this issue.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
I find the Auto setting works OK, not as good as the one in my old Silverado. My co-pilot will NOT leave the controls alone! She would be happier with manual controls.

There is a manual AC control available from Jeep, only problem is if you have the 7 or 8.4 inch radio you will lose the volume knob, tune knob, the screen off and mute buttons. Volume and tuning can be done with the steering wheel control but there is no off button.
Gregj

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I find the Auto setting works OK, not as good as the one in my old Silverado. My co-pilot will NOT leave the controls alone! She would be happier with manual controls.

There is a manual AC control available from Jeep, only problem is if you have the 7 or 8.4 inch radio you will lose the volume knob, tune knob, the screen off and mute buttons. Volume and tuning can be done with the steering wheel control but there is no off button.
Gregj
More manual than turning off the "auto" button?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Yes, three knobs. Fan speed, temp and air control. The Sport models with the 5 inch radio have them. Upgrading the radio gets you ”Auto” climate control.
Gregj

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
The worst I've seen from mine is that the temp setting needs to vary a bit by heat load. Meaning that if it's super hot out, it works better if I set temp to 68-69. If it's cool/cold out, I set it to 72. But once I set it, then it stays fine for the entire drive. It's just that in AZ we have a lot of hot sunlight, so the system has to over-compensate for being baked by the sun.
Sponsored