Sponsored

Anyone else have issues with Jeep Service Department?

Tuckers56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I am curious what other's experience has been with Jeep service when giving their Gladiator Rubicons a lift kit and new tires.

Here is a little background. I decided to replace my OEM wheels and throw on 37 inch tires and after looking at what others have done here and on Youtube decided to add the Mopar 2" lift. I purchased a set of 4 Tactik T-743 Wheels from Quadratec and went to the dealer where I purchased the Gladiator to install the lift kit and mount the 37s.

The first thing that raised a red flag with me was when I went in to speak with the service technician, he told me that I wouldn't need the lift kit for the Rubicon because it is already lifted and he thought it came stock with the Mopar lift. From all the research I conducted, I know the Rubicon has a slight lift compared to the Sports and Overland, but it does not have a 2" lift. At that point, since i know 37s can fit on the Rubicon without a lift, I decided to forego getting the lift at the dealer and will get that done at another time, with someone else that gives me confidence they know what they are doing.

You would think the rest would go smoothly, but that was not the case. First after having to return wheels to Quadratec several times due to defects in the wheels, we finally got 4 mounted and ready. Now the Jeep service department is telling me they are having a hard time balancing the back wheels because the weights keep hitting the calipers. All of the reviews about Tactik tires indicate they are really easy to balance. Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue?
Sponsored

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Only time I go to the stealership is for service.

1. I don’t have time to do it myself.
2. I wouldn’t want to fool with it if I did.
3. I want service records.

Not saying I don’t trust them, but the advisors are usually not the most knowledgeable about the vehicles like the techs are. When you don’t deal with folks who are hands on with vehicles all day it makes for some annoying interactions. If I find an individual stealership isn’t cutting it I move onto another. Gotta have them records.

As far as the wheels go I would take them to an independent tire shop and see if they have better luck. If they’re not able to be balanced I would send them back and buy something else. Then you have two sources showing there’s something wrong with the wheels.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max

Not saying I don’t trust them, but the advisors are usually not the most knowledgeable about the vehicles like the techs are. When you don’t deal with folks who are hands on with vehicles all day it makes for some annoying interactions. If I find an individual stealership isn’t cutting it I move onto another. Gotta have them records.

As far as the wheels go I would take them to an independent tire shop and see if they have better luck. If they’re not able to be balanced I would send them back and buy something else. Then you have two sources showing there’s something wrong with the wheels.
Ditto. And make sure the 2nd place has a nice balancing machine that has been calibrated recently. I just went through this and all 4 were out of balance, ranging from 6.5oz to 1.5oz ( not good). The 1st place thought that's as good as it gets and sent me on my way:angry::headbang:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If anything at the Service Department gives you reason to question them, do not use them for any work unless you have to.

I always go to Discount Tire and pick what I want from what they can get. I want a single point of contact, with experience, that I can trust, for wheels and tires.

Reactions: JP1

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You should change the title from "Jeep service department" to just plain "service department" as you can get that from ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE be it HVAC for your home, a roofer, plumber, electrician (don't even ask about that one), car/truck dealer, quick lube, cell provider, landscaper, body shop, home painter, you name it. ANY customer service, ANY.
There are also GREAT dealer service departments. Excellent ones. Unfortunately, the few bad give the rest a bad name. And of course then folks come to places like this and tell others to avoid taking their vehicles to a dealer because all dealers suck and they are all crap and that's just plain wrong, too. I know and have worked with some of the absolute best and it's irritating as heck to hear some say that all are rotten and you can't trust any because a few are bad when I know that's just not true.

You will also fine that within some shops some guys will know their stuff while others, meh, not so much.

Weights hitting calipers? Well - there ARE different weights that can be used. Funny thing - the wheels I picked up - Rubicon take-offs, had weights clipped to the inner lip (like the old steel wheel) and some stick on weights that cleared the calipers just fine. Hmmmm - that's how they came so I know they exist. (I've had it up to 90 with zero vibration)

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What dealer are you using? I live in the Wilmington area and really do not trust any of the local CDJR dealers here and actually take my Jeep over the state line to Hertrich CDJR in Elkton MD for any dealership service work.

That dealer tech who told you the Rubicon came with a 2" lift already is a red flag to me on their competency.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
What dealer are you using? I live in the Wilmington area and really do not trust any of the local CDJR dealers here and actually take my Jeep over the state line to Hertrich CDJR in Elkton MD for any dealership service work.

That dealer tech who told you the Rubicon came with a 2" lift already is a red flag to me on their competency.
im also curious. Im down in smyrna and use IG Burton. Never had a single complaint about them and ive used them for years. Typically ill also use my local Mr.Tire since one of their techs is a huge jeep guy and helped me with my JKU a lot.

OP
OP

Tuckers56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Thanks for the response. I also try to do everything myself that is within my capabilities. I was thinking more of your third option of wanting service records to protect as much of the warranty as possible. Good news is they were able to balance the wheels first thing this morning. :idea: Hopefully it doesn't require a trip to a second tire store.

OP
OP

Tuckers56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
You should change the title from "Jeep service department" to just plain "service department" as you can get that from ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE be it HVAC for your home, a roofer, plumber, electrician (don't even ask about that one), car/truck dealer, quick lube, cell provider, landscaper, body shop, home painter, you name it. ANY customer service, ANY.
There are also GREAT dealer service departments. Excellent ones. Unfortunately, the few bad give the rest a bad name. And of course then folks come to places like this and tell others to avoid taking their vehicles to a dealer because all dealers suck and they are all crap and that's just plain wrong, too. I know and have worked with some of the absolute best and it's irritating as heck to hear some say that all are rotten and you can't trust any because a few are bad when I know that's just not true.

You will also fine that within some shops some guys will know their stuff while others, meh, not so much.

Weights hitting calipers? Well - there ARE different weights that can be used. Funny thing - the wheels I picked up - Rubicon take-offs, had weights clipped to the inner lip (like the old steel wheel) and some stick on weights that cleared the calipers just fine. Hmmmm - that's how they came so I know they exist. (I've had it up to 90 with zero vibration)
I agree with everything you said about the quality of customer service can be good or bad regardless of industry or brand. I was just surprised that for a dealership that deals with as many customizable and accessorized vehicles as Wranglers and Gladiators, that they were so clueless on some things.

Rulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLA 250, Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’d be curious to know if the shocks are the same, but the coils make the difference with the mopar lift.

I’ve seen Rubicons on the Mopar lift, kinda looks identical to a standard rubicon to me.

anyone have before and after pictures with stock wheels and tires?

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer

We need a thread on these forums where we can note good/positive dealer service departments. I know I have little faith in a few I have tried near me....would be nice to find one that I can trust.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
If it helps none of the service departments of any brand within 70 miles of my house have anyone that knows their asshole from a hole in the ground. I figure anyone that's a decent mechanic is at one of the industries in the area making 2-3x more than what they'd make at a dealership.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
First world problems, you could be a trash collector in Wuhan...

But seriously most of the problems I have had with vehicles have been far more about shitty service from dealership knuckleheads than about the actual vehicles themselves.

Except for Volkswagen, they had genuinely shitty product to go with their genuinely shitty service.

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the dealers I go to / visit will point you to a third party for custom work (non brand lift/tires) They don't really do enough of the aftermarket upgrades to be good at it in my view. That said - The mopar lift is a FCA part number - shouldn't be hard for them to install - but the upsell is the problem. When was the last time you looked at a dealer service / parts as a competitive retailer?

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
First, The Rubicon is no higher than the Overland. Only the fenders make it appear so. Second, while the shocks look the same they are different in the mopar 2" lift. Third, I thought I trusted Discount Tire but they screwed the balance up royally on JL 33's I bought from a buddy to put on my Overland. Had Jeep service redo and it came out right. I had the mopar lift put on and then after my buddy saw it, he had them put it on his Rubicon. Much higher! Probably 2.5 inches ...:CWL:

DOes your new rims have an offset? Do you need spacers?

Oh, and the dealer lowered the price when I showed them I could get it cheaper elsewhere! Plus another 10% from Jeep Wave!
Sponsored