Sponsored

Heater/defroster temperature control is TERRIBLE...anyone else have the same issue?

Overland711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I find it impossible to control the heater temperature. Set it to 65, ice cold...69, scalding hot, so hot you are now sweating....back down to 65....still raging hot...63...raging hot....LO....finally goes cold......back to 66....ice cold.....up to 72....getting warmer....73....blazing hot.....back down to 65......still blazing hot. Both sides set at th same temp and different temps coming out of right and left side.

Dealer told me it senses outside air and adjusts accordingly....I'm sorry, but if I set the temp at 66, it shouldn't be blowing 90 degree air and roasting me out of the car.

Anyone know how to fix this, as this isn't normal and the dealer keeps bullshitting us.
Sponsored

bolingde

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor
I've had the same problem. Sometimes "auto" seems to work best other times doing it with fan control is the only way to get anywhere near what you what. It doesn't seem like it should be rocket science. They're not the first vehicle with Heat/AC.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I find it impossible to control the heater temperature. Set it to 65, ice cold...69, scalding hot, so hot you are now sweating....back down to 65....still raging hot...63...raging hot....LO....finally goes cold......back to 66....ice cold.....up to 72....getting warmer....73....blazing hot.....back down to 65......still blazing hot. Both sides set at th same temp and different temps coming out of right and left side.

Dealer told me it senses outside air and adjusts accordingly....I'm sorry, but if I set the temp at 66, it shouldn't be blowing 90 degree air and roasting me out of the car.

Anyone know how to fix this, as this isn't normal and the dealer keeps bullshitting us.
Not normal. I've had no problems with interior temperature control.

Further reading
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/auto-climate-doesnt-seem-to-work.27297/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/auto-climate-control-not-controlling-well.18188/

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
Just use the window motors. That's what I do. Seems like a lot of switches when all they really needed was a toggle switch.....hot....cold....hot....cold.....easy.

Sponsored

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator

My 2020 Overland kinda works the way you are describing when the truck first warms up especially from cold outside temps. But once the interior temp has stabilized to the setpoint, it stays there. So, I may have to adjust temps up/down when first starting (10-15 min) because the air is coming out the vents too hot or too cold, but after that it stays where I set it (usually 72). For the record, I always sync temps on both sides and keep the A/C set to “on” 24/7 even when I’m using the heater. That way the system self regulates up or down as needed. It’s a little quirky, but I have no complaints.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Have had a few issues with it but what I have noticed so far is that if I put it on automatic and keep it within a certain range it will work fine. I have given the wife the hands off the system cause she is always freezing and she then try's to jack up the heat which somehow sends the system into some crazy mode where it will just start pumping out superheated air where the vents are to hot to even touch and its unbearably hot in the truck. So she is not allowed to touch the control knob any longer only allowed to use the up or down temp buttons to change the temp range a few degree's at a time till the system balances out. Frankly we were down to zero here last week with wind chill and I have a soft top and with the heater set to around 75 was perfectly comfortable in the truck

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)

Which dealer are you going to?

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I haven't noticed any issues. I usually just keep mine on auto at 72 and it seems to work fine. If my hands get cold I'll change the blower to front vents and set it to level 3 or 4.

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve not had any issues like you described. Mine has thus far worked flawlessly (knock on wood!) for me for almost 30K miles.

Sponsored

mbush91

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

@Overland711, Do you have the cold weather package? I do and I have the exact same issue and so does my wives Cherokee. My buddy who works in HVAC at another OEM (not Jeep) told me that when they put in heated seats the HVAC systems are downgraded as a cost savings. I've been wondering if this was the cause of the horrible feedback control for awhile. I think they are trying to use software models to guess instead of paying for extra temp sensors in the cab.

I do find that the AUTO button keeps me more comfortable than trying to tweak it myself. But sometimes I find myself rolling the window down in the winter.

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
It is interesting, I always keep mine in manual mode - but I have also experienced what others have reported that it really does push out hot air even when set to something lower e.g. such as 68F.
I never had that on my JK.

I will switch it to auto mode, from comments here the control might be better this way, I guess I should let the system work for me.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Yeah, I think it actually is how it's designed to function, which is not how I would have designed it. Take the following with a grain of salt because it's simply my observation and I have no idea how it's actually programmed.

You don't have precise control over the temperature of the air coming out of the vent, sort of like how you don't have precise control over it with your home A/C (at least with my heat pump).

The AUTO function works in the sense that it maintains a temperature and generally starts off blowing slowly and seems to use the floor vents more than the rest.

If you just set it to a temp and crank up the blower manually, it can get extremely hot. I would even go so far as to say "unsafe" but honestly we are adults and can turn it off when it's too hot to handle. It's really hot though.

The system seems to be attempting to reach a set cabin temperature regardless of setting. So if it's on AUTO you get a nice computer controlled ramp up from cold to hot. If you bypass that setting to manual, you get full afterburners until you manually turn it back down or the cabin temperature normalizes. The thermostat doesn't allow you to select "cool air" at any point in time from what I can tell, it just has to be in balance and the temperature settles down.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
@Overland711, Do you have the cold weather package? I do and I have the exact same issue and so does my wives Cherokee. My buddy who works in HVAC at another OEM (not Jeep) told me that when they put in heated seats the HVAC systems are downgraded as a cost savings. I've been wondering if this was the cause of the horrible feedback control for awhile. I think they are trying to use software models to guess instead of paying for extra temp sensors in the cab.

I do find that the AUTO button keeps me more comfortable than trying to tweak it myself. But sometimes I find myself rolling the window down in the winter.
I have the cold weather package and leave mine on Auto without any problems.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I find the auto mode worthless. Like the OP, it seems too hot until I turn it way down. Sometime it’s only cool if it’s at 60 or 61. As soon as I go higher the temp jumps up. There is a lack of modulation. Depending on the outside temperature, the air temp form the hvac varies. So there is no consistency on what works for setting the temp.

Summer time it works fine because it always needs to be cold. It’s when it’s 45-60 degrees outside. It’s like it can’t decide if you want to warm up or cool down. Makes me miss the three dial system I had in my 4 runner. I truly hate over engineered things.

I’ve learned to deal with it. But It sometimes it takes more effort to set it satisfactory. I don’t think it’s broke or defective. I just think they use an algorithm to set the temp of the air, depending on the ambient temp and it isn’t good. For example, if it’s 50 ambient temp, but you want a little cool air, setting it at 60 barely gives cool air. And any higher temp gives you warm air.
Sponsored