First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
So Im trying to get a few things together to make the truck a "getaway" vehicle. (think vacation or emergency, drive to x location and setup)
I have 3 kids, 6, 7 and 14 all girls. So what I need is suggestions to either different equipment that would work better (for similar price) or maybe something I am not thinking of.

Currently the truck is a '21 Mojave, very bare bones. I have the Softopper installed and am going to be ordering the Datin Fab rack in the next few days. I need to install some sort of homebrew "trail rail" system to make that work. I plan on getting gas and water cans of course. On a side note: thinking of painting the rack orange just to match the mojave orange. šŸ¤”

So I think I have the wife talked into a RTT, she wanted a camper to tow but I really didnt want to go that route. So I was looking for a RTT, but I don't think I can fit something like an ikamper in the budget but I loved the look of this. The Roam vagabond XL with annex (in black of course!)
The rack and the RTT seem like easy choices, here are some more complicated things that I just dont know enough about...

Fridge?
We gotta have one, right? I mean my kids are picky as hell about food and drinks already. So I have to balance price / needs. Sure those ARB's are damn nice but that price tag is just too much. I tried to check out some other brands and I always do the same thing, try not to buy the best thing but definitely dont get the cheapest thing.
So I went down a rabbit hole and found ICECO JP50. It seemed to be a fair compromise and would be able to do what we needed, just keep some things cold.
I saw a commenter who listed the following information:
Powered using a Yeti 400 generator and a 100 watt solar panel.
In Max mode wattage output was 55-60w with the compressor powered on. And 15-17W with the compressor powered off.
In ECO mode wattage was 50-54w with the compressor on and 10-14W with the compressor off.
Temperature inside the refrigerator was 37-38 degrees.

It would require some "rigging" for a pullout but I actually have some pull drawers I might be able to make work.

I dont want to toast my battery and I really dont want to fool with trying to rig up a dual-battery-voltage-regulated-schematic-required-setup. So I was looking at this:
Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 500 + Jackery SolarSaga 100W Portable Solar Panel - The Power station seems to be adequate enough to run the fridge (right?) and the solar panel I figure could buy us some extra battery time. I dont expect us to be on a 5 day trip, realistically more like weekend getaways and such. I figure this could pull double duty for charging other items as well and even non-overlanding or emergency situations.

Hot Water:
EccoTemp L5 Tankless Water Heater - This isnt a product I have researched that much but it seemed simple enough but I have seen some horrible reviews of it. we plan on using one of the dual burner coleman propane stoves anyhow so we would have propane anyhow. Ive seen pvc DIY versions and I havent ruled one of those out. Would be cool if you could do a toilet float kinda setup to run a pump and fill it with water as you used it. :D

Toilet/food/beds - I have most of that figured out. Might need a shower area.
Sponsored

Last edited:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
as one who is into overlanding I think youā€™re on the right track.
I would however seriously question sleeping 5 people in a rtt. Maybe a small teardrop trailer AND a rtt might work. Or maybe a big ground tent...
you can run your fridge off your truck battery while youā€™re driving and unplug it at night. It should keep things cool enough for several hours if you donā€™t open it then just start the truck in the morning to charge the battery up and cool down the fridge.
Iā€™m looking into one of those 5L instant water heaters as well

Good luck!

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
as one who is into overlanding I think youā€™re on the right track.
I would however seriously question sleeping 5 people in a rtt. Maybe a small teardrop trailer AND a rtt might work. Or maybe a big ground tent...
you can run your fridge off your truck battery while youā€™re driving and unplug it at night. It should keep things cool enough for several hours if you donā€™t open it then just start the truck in the morning to charge the battery up and cool down the fridge.
Iā€™m looking into one of those 5L instant water heaters as well

Good luck!
Oh I plan on sleeping in the truck bed and the teen in the annex maybe. :D

Last edited:

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
For power I was looking on getting one of these, I know it wont work for your Mojave but they have universal kits that might work on something you may get, maybe a fold out wing on your rack?

VSS System

One of those and the AUX switch banks could assist with powering your fridge I would think.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
For power I was looking on getting one of these, I know it wont work for your Mojave but they have universal kits that might work on something you may get, maybe a fold out wing on your rack?

VSS System

One of those and the AUX switch banks could assist with powering your fridge I would think.
Yes! That was an idea but like you said I just haaaad to get a Mojave. Lol
If I have enough in the budget I was going to try and put a roof rack, a small one just over the hard top rear section and I could probably mount it there.
But I mean one that leans up against the truck is fine too.

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Plenty of solar power options out there. Looking for something as well. Plus a lithium iron phosphate battery or two.

HopSlammer

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Good thread you started. Iā€™ve been researching and asking experienced friends for suggestions too. Iā€™m looking forward to the replies from other members. Hereā€™s a few suggestions. I have a more thorough list that Iā€™ll dig up and add here later.

Power:
Jackery has a very good reputation.

Hot water:
https://www.joolca.com/

Tent:
RTT or not, ya might need some extra ZZZ space, Gazelle is a tent brand thatā€™s a winner. Hereā€™s a 4 person, youā€™ll like the color too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6CS7P4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZNN6NNGFFM02K4A36SRT

Utensils:
UCO Utility Spork 3-in-1 Combo Spoon-Fork-Knife Camping Utensil, 4-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMT48XQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8ZDK6HQDK2F460XDBTDT?psc=1

Lights:
MPOWERD Luci Outdoor 2.0: Solar Inflatable Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NQLRT...abc_74DHGSQS7ABHBV3G9KXD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I come from a backpacking/prepping background and I've got alot of the odds and ends you would use for an outing. For me I can get by on alot less than my wife and kids are willing to especially if I want then to have a good time. A warm shower, a cold drink and a comfy bed will get me a long way I hope at least.

The whole idea for my wife is to be able to go do stuff. Get out of the house pack up and go somewhere.
For me it's the same but also an element of "could this work in an emergency", without being political or souring this thread, times are crazy and it's good to have options.

With that said I ordered some steps yesterday that cut into my budget some, everything for these trucks are 1,200. Lol but my short family demands some steps.
Going to order the bed rack this week and have one last talk with my wife about a rtt. (She is notorious for changing her mind lol.)

I'd still love to hear more about the fridges/power/solar setups.
I guess I'll try and research that fridge I listed and that jackery model and see what real world experience people have had.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Solar options. Renogy seems to be the best most complete option IMO

https://www.roadaffair.com/best-portable-solar-panels-for-rv-camping/
ā€˜Those types of articles are nothing more than a company buying add space imho. They really arenā€™t a good comparison for what you might need. Having said that Renogy does make good products and I have two fixed panels on my truck camper that Iā€™ll be using for an extended trip in a couple of weeks.
ā€˜The issue (for me anyways) with outfitting my Gladiator is space and those folding suitcases take up a lot of space. We have been using the Overland Solar folding panel that actually takes up much less space .
https://www.overlandsolar.com/collections/overland-vehicle-travel/products/bugout-130-solar-charger

The nice thing about it is that we can hang it from virtually any side of the truck when we stop to maximize itā€™s capabilities. Weā€™ll be using this in our Gladiator build.

Jeep Gladiator Help me get setup: Updates! 4204DEA5-BFA4-406C-900A-F58630A68EE6

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
ā€˜Those types of articles are nothing more than a company buying add space imho. They really arenā€™t a good comparison for what you might need. Having said that Renogy does make good products and I have two fixed panels on my truck camper that Iā€™ll be using for an extended trip in a couple of weeks.
ā€˜The issue (for me anyways) with outfitting my Gladiator is space and those folding suitcases take up a lot of space. We have been using the Overland Solar folding panel that actually takes up much less space .
https://www.overlandsolar.com/collections/overland-vehicle-travel/products/bugout-130-solar-charger

The nice thing about it is that we can hang it from virtually any side of the truck when we stop to maximize itā€™s capabilities. Weā€™ll be using this in our Gladiator build.

Jeep Gladiator Help me get setup: Updates! 4204DEA5-BFA4-406C-900A-F58630A68EE6
Nice set up. What kind of batteries do you run? How much output on that solar panel? Can they be hooked together to get double the output?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Nice set up. What kind of batteries do you run? How much output on that solar panel? Can they be hooked together to get double the output?
That picture was taken at Teklanika Campground in Denali NP. At that time our 2 flexible solar panels on the roof of our camper were dying and thatā€™s the reason we broke out the foldable panel.

Right now we have replaced both flexible panels with 2, 100 watt Renogy fixed panels that charge 2, 100 AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries through a Blue Seas Charge Controller. With this set up we should be able to charge everything we need indefinitely if we get some sun but will also take the foldable panel as it doesnā€™t take up any room.
Sponsored