Status
Not open for further replies.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Depends on the driver.

If you compare a Sport S to a similarly price XLT Tremor, I'm sorry but the Tremor will win a lot of off-road categories. Definitely anything that involves speed and I don't know you can tell me anything about who is going to rock crawl better.
[/QUOTE]
Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Depends on the driver.

If you compare a Sport S to a similarly price XLT Tremor, I'm sorry but the Tremor will win a lot of off-road categories. Definitely anything that involves speed and I don't know you can tell me anything about who is going to rock crawl better.
[/QUOTE]

Driver yes and the fact that even a sport S Max Tow with 4:10 gears, limited ship, a disconnected sway bar ( for years most of us would just unbolt the damn thing, swing it up out of the way and strap it there with bungees) with no lift gutted fenders, 35ā€™s and the traction control system on the JT will outperform the Tremor... if Ford even makes one for the Ranger.

Oh and did I say the Jeep will offer better trail visibility with the doors and top off? Yes it will.

You said youā€™re buying a Rubicon JT. Great now go get it, send pictures and letā€™s forget this thread ever existed. šŸ˜

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I'm running the JKS Quick Disconnects. 33s and a Rubicon Suspension on my Sport S. Quite pleased with the set up. Adding a Terraflex 1.5in Leveling kit and will eventually go to 35s. Never had an issue going where I want to.

Driver yes and the fact that even a sport S Max Tow with 4:10 gears, limited ship, a disconnected sway bar ( for years most of us would just unbolt the damn thing, swing it up out of the way and strap it there with bungees) with no lift gutted fenders, 35ā€™s and the traction control system on the JT will outperform the Tremor... if Ford even makes one for the Ranger.

Oh and did I say the Jeep will offer better trail visibility with the doors and top off? Yes it will.

You said youā€™re buying a Rubicon JT. Great now go get it, send pictures and letā€™s forget this thread ever existed. šŸ˜
[/QUOTE]

tempImagewIWHRy.png

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
There's foot trails and camp sites all over the property, all of which I've traversed extensively over the course of the past 30 years. But the ATV and 4X4s on those trails, which I can do for free, at will, would make me feel jealous so I'd rather take an offroad capable 4x4 where I can hang out with the staff.

Or I'm sorry, am I doing it wrong? Jeep owners who talk smack are supposed to be on asphalt, right? You don't really need a front locker unless you're going 65 on the highway from what I hear.

Literally learned how to drive in a '95 Pathfinder on these roads and the first car I owned I also drove it extensively offroad (turns out a yearly catalytic converter/exhaust parts on an '87 Honda accord is more affordable than a truck).

So let me get this straight, to be like most Jeep owners, all I gotta do is get off these roads and on to some asphalt right?
You probably shouldnā€™t brag about your vast experience when you started in a 95 anything. Theses quite a few on here hitting the trails since before the Wrangler was the wrangler. No Iā€™m not saying me lol.

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
You probably shouldnā€™t brag about your vast experience when you started in a 95 anything. Theses quite a few on here hitting the trails since before the Wrangler was the wrangler. No Iā€™m not saying me lol.
It's not really bragging it's, "I know a Rubicon is over-engineered money poured down the drain" for literally every application other than extreme rock crawling. The experience isn't "I'm the best off-roader in the world" it's "After 30+ years pretty much living on these roads I laugh at everyone, city slicker or hick, who rolls up onto the property in a $60,000+$30,000 mods vehicle because they come up to this place once a year and drive on not even half-bad mud roads.

And these are the people who actually use their Rubis off-road, as opposed to you know the majority whom never leave the pavement or leave the pavement once so the owner can say, "I did a Jeep day once."

So having this experiencing and truly knowing, I think it's pretty hilarious that I know most people on this thread fit into this category and are all pissed off or ragey or trolly over my even thinking about the Ranger. Hilarious.

Guaranteed many people are way, way more skilled at driving off-road here but I also guarantee many are what I'm describing above, perhaps even over 50%.

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I used to know exactly which truck I wanted, then a year passed and Ford's decent offering took a front seat with the Tremor. I know it's not a Raptor but I'm also not too keen on spending $70,000 for the smallest class of truck you can buy in the US. (also it doesn't exactly exist yet)

I love everything about the Tremor, it's a lot of what I would do aftermarket + it has those damn cool aux switches and angry but properly subdued accents (without gfx package obviously).

I'm feeling like right now I spend $45,000 on a decked out Ranger Tremor and make myself as happy as if I had a Gladiator, but $20,000 richer (over similarly equipped JTR) without feeling like I'm rolling around in an unfinished symphony constantly wanting to upgrade.

For some reason I look at the Tremor as a complete, small, perfect little truck and a Gladiator as a blank canvas. I know some people here gotta feel the same way even if it's illogical.

So, what are my reasons for wanting a JTR over a Ranger Tremor? I'm having a hard time making $20,000 price difference make sense.

Edit: Let's get the obvious out of the way, I don't need a front locker. I off-road probably more than 95% of the people here who don't go to off-road parks and I've needed a front locker a total of 0 times. If a road is even slightly engineered for actual vehicular use, our trucks are stupid capable and the front locker is a pretty damn expensive thing to not really ever need. Even if you're in those off-road parks, if we're honest.
Buy the Ford, your mind is made up and you don't really deserve a Gladiator. Troll!

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buy the Ford, your mind is made up and you don't really deserve a Gladiator. Troll!
And you read a single post, responded to part of it and ignored the context of the rest of the thread. Am I the troll or the trollee here, really?

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I can't write a long post right now but I agonized for about 2 years in replacing my 2003 LR Discovery. I looked at F350, Ram 3500 Diesel with a Manual, Ridgeline, Taco (wanted a 6ft bed and manual but you can't get both), waited for the new LR Defender, the Broco (thought about waiting more for the Bronco pickup) and drove a Ranger XLT FX4 and a Colorado ZR2. I kept coming back to the JT. Most people can get away with the Sport S, Max Tow and LSD rear. Or an Overland with an LSD rear. I wanted the manual first, 3.6 for long term durability (no turbos and FCA puts them in everything so they know it well) and I wanted the Rubicon. I have already used the front locker in a situation where my Land Rover would have left me stranded (deep snow on an old forest "road" in northern MN that I should not not have been on - couldn't turn around and slid off the crown backing up almost a mile - front locker saved the day). I can haul a reasonable amount of stuff, tow a reasonable amount of stuff (my boat is less than 4,000lbs and the biggest trailer I pull is about 5,000lbs of mulch for our BSA Troop fundraiser). I've had my JTR since January and I LOVE IT. Now that I have it I think back to the Ranger, Colorado, and the Taco and I would NEVER consider trading over to one of those. Brother-in-law has a Ridgeline and its a fine vehicle - he drives from Washing to Colorado 2-3 times a year. Great for that trip. But he loves it they way I love my wife's Volvo XC90. Perfect cruiser with lots of space. Very happy to own it and let the wife or kids drive. But not for me.

JTR is perfect for me in the real world - not just on paper. Thats all I can say.
You and I test drive a lot of the same trucks - a list that doesnā€™t make sense to other people - but I get it. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that you can get a manual transmission Tacoma with a 6 foot bed (I did), but not with lockers (you have to buy a Sport). I think you made the right choice getting the Gladiator!

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You and I test drive a lot of the same trucks - a list that doesnā€™t make sense to other people - but I get it. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that you can get a manual transmission Tacoma with a 6 foot bed (I did), but not with lockers (you have to buy a Sport). I think you made the right choice getting the Gladiator!
That's not the OP, but I love the Tacoma, especially the TRD Pro, I just feel like two things.

1. Everyone says it's still everything it always was but that also means "dated" - definitively, in 2021, unless you're specifically a Taco guy. It just seems weird to me to spend $35-40k+ on a brand new vehicle that's 2-3 generations old on almost every front.
  2. I see a lot of TRD Pros on Long Island. A lot. They're all road warriors. All of them. It's a bling item here. Like driving around a WRX STI, car was purchased with literal 0 intention to do what it was meant for.
I realize #2 is nonsensical when talking about Jeeps, especially on Long Island as it's equally as guilty of it, but it's not coupled with #1!

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not really bragging it's, "I know a Rubicon is over-engineered money poured down the drain" for literally every application other than extreme rock crawling. The experience isn't "I'm the best off-roader in the world" it's "After 30+ years pretty much living on these roads I laugh at everyone, city slicker or hick, who rolls up onto the property in a $60,000+$30,000 mods vehicle because they come up to this place once a year and drive on not even half-bad mud roads.

And these are the people who actually use their Rubis off-road, as opposed to you know the majority whom never leave the pavement or leave the pavement once so the owner can say, "I did a Jeep day once."

So having this experiencing and truly knowing, I think it's pretty hilarious that I know most people on this thread fit into this category and are all pissed off or ragey or trolly over my even thinking about the Ranger. Hilarious.

Guaranteed many people are way, way more skilled at driving off-road here but I also guarantee many are what I'm describing above, perhaps even over 50%.
And if you donā€™t see how statements like that sound pretentious, then I donā€™t know what to tell you. Maybe one day we all can get to your wise learned man level of wisdom and finally buy the vehicle that meets but doesnā€™t exceed your personal expectations. Iā€™m sure those people with $60k trucks are just home banging their heads against the wall in awe of you. Please buy the Ranger, you two deserve each other.

Sponsored

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
There is a ā€˜23 Ranger Raptor spy video just posted on TFLTruck. Just sayin...

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And if you donā€™t see how statements like that sound pretentious, then I donā€™t know what to tell you. Maybe one day we all can get to your wise learned man level of wisdom and finally buy the vehicle that meets but doesnā€™t exceed your personal expectations. Iā€™m sure those people with $60k trucks are just home banging their heads against the wall in awe of you. Please buy the Ranger, you two deserve each other.
Yeah man, this thread really needs to be locked. It's not pretentious if I'm being called out and responding. "95 anything" etc. all those little jabs, yeah, I'm gonna stand up and say, "look I know the score, assholes."

It's not pretentious, it's being fed up.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah man, this thread really needs to be locked. It's not pretentious if I'm being called out and responding. "95 anything" etc. all those little jabs, yeah, I'm gonna stand up and say, "look I know the score, assholes."

It's not pretentious, it's being fed up.
Fed up with what? You asked people to talk you out a Ranger, then when they give reasons you freak out youā€™re being picked on. You argue the Rubicon is some mall crawler to most people, and overbuilt for what you would need it for, but then say thatā€™s the one youā€™re considering, then complain the model you donā€™t need is too expensive compared to other trucks. Please just get the Ranger.

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol I think I've given this thread enough attention. Have fun boys!

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Wow, what a strange , bizzare thread, so many posts, so much anger all in less then a week. Good luck in your search Jim, Tremor does look like a neat truck.....Jack
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.