• Start date
  • Watchers 13

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I'd guess a whole new box. I learned that the body on these is aluminum. I had a door ding taken out and the old timer body guy explained it was aluminum and harder to fix. Do you know if the frame is intact? It's a robust truck, but you don't know what damage is hiding underneath.

I had a lady hit my car in the parking lot while I was at work. 2018 Subaru mostly plastic. It was in a space properly parked and she had a hitch platform off the rear of her giant ass van. Ripped my rear bumper partially off. Lots of extra unseen damage which totaled to over 4K plus a rental car etc.. Thankfully she reported the accident and had good insurance.

Sucks that this happened. I know you take pride in your Jeep and it's awful to have assholes wreck it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

I'd guess a whole new box. I learned that the body on these is aluminum. I had a door ding taken out and the old timer body guy explained it was aluminum and harder to fix. Do you know if the frame is intact? It's a robust truck, but you don't know what damage is hiding underneath.

I had a lady hit my car in the parking lot while I was at work. 2018 Subaru mostly plastic. It was in a space properly parked and she had a hitch platform off the rear of her giant ass van. Ripped my rear bumper partially off. Lots of extra unseen damage which totaled to over 4K plus a rental car etc.. Thankfully she reported the accident and had good insurance.

Sucks that this happened. I know you take pride in your Jeep and it's awful to have assholes wreck it.
Thanks man. It drove home fine yesterday but I won't know until tomorrow morning when I get it inspected at 10:30am. Its a mile from my job so I'm hoping they can do it within 45 min because I have work at 11:30am. That's pretty much all they have available all week because they suspended the driving to you option. Do insurance companies still mail you a check as an option? I feel like I wanna do my research on parts and shops before I jump into anything especially since the JT is new. I had an 05 cobalt repaired as a teen when they first came out at a reputable shop and the repair was horrible. When I complained to the owner he lashed out and said it was because it was a band new car they weren't sure how to totally align the rubber sealing on the door to line up with the rest of the body with the supplied parts. The guy basically threw me off the property and said don't come back lol. Now that I'm older and wiser I probably would of takin him to small claims now.

First Name
Sylvester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Town and Country Touring
Occupation
Construction Associate for Carvana
About how fast was the truck traveling when the collision happened?

Would a steel bumper actually have absorbed the impact better without damage to the bed?

This sucks and looking forward to seeing your Gladiator back in good shape!

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

About how fast was the truck traveling when the collision happened?

Would a steel bumper actually have absorbed the impact better without damage to the bed?

This sucks and looking forward to seeing your Gladiator back in good shape!
If I had to take a guess probably 25mph to 30mph. Yeah I think a steel bumper definitely would of soaked up the hit enough to not have damaged the rear panel.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I went through USAA with my claim. They sent me a check in the mail. I paid the body shop directly. But the check was based to the penny on what the shop quoted.

Thanks man. It drove home fine yesterday but I won't know until tomorrow morning when I get it inspected at 10:30am. Its a mile from my job so I'm hoping they can do it within 45 min because I have work at 11:30am. That's pretty much all they have available all week because they suspended the driving to you option. Do insurance companies still mail you a check as an option? I feel like I wanna do my research on parts and shops before I jump into anything especially since the JT is new. I had an 05 cobalt repaired as a teen when they first came out at a reputable shop and the repair was horrible. When I complained to the owner he lashed out and said it was because it was a band new car they weren't sure how to totally align the rubber sealing on the door to line up with the rest of the body with the supplied parts. The guy basically threw me off the property and said don't come back lol. Now that I'm older and wiser I probably would of takin him to small claims now.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
they can mail you a checkif the car is paid off. If not goes to repair shop. Some repair shops waive the deductible. You can talk to repair shop and pay difference for a steel bumper but they may not want to do it as your insurer is a better customer than you are. Meaning they won’t jeopardize their relationship with the insurancE company to help you as much as they used to.

TNGatorBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1985 CJ8 Scrambler and 2014 Grand Cherokee WK2 (For Sale)
Occupation
Executive Director
they can mail you a checkif the car is paid off. If not goes to repair shop. Some repair shops waive the deductible. You can talk to repair shop and pay difference for a steel bumper but they may not want to do it as your insurer is a better customer than you are. Meaning they won’t jeopardize their relationship with the insurancE company to help you as much as they used to.
Unfortunately... This was my experience, as well.

I always hear stories of people upgrading after an accident but when I had my shot, I was shut down quickly. They replaced OEM part for Chinese knock off sheet metal and there was nothing that I could do about it.

The insurance company makes every single decision.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

If I go back I would of just got a used car. Now I'm stuck with a 36k loan on a brand new diminished truck that will prob never be the same. I never learn my lesson.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

Idk exactly what this means but it looks like they could make out the check to me and the bank. I'm not sure if this allows me to have more flexibility or what ? It said this under my claims information.

Jeep Gladiator Hit and run Screenshot_20200802-180717__01

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Idk exactly what this means but it looks like they could make out the check to me and the bank. I'm not sure if this allows me to have more flexibility or what ? It said this under my claims information.

Just be sure if they mail a check directly to you than you can get more money due to hidden damage. I can guarantee the estimate is going to miss that damage.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

If they make it payable to you and the bank, it's up to you to get it fixed. You will need to contact the bank to see how they process checks like that. They may just let you deposit it in your account, and they may insist it is repaired before they endorse the check, since they have a financial interest in the vehicle.

If you're going to get it fixed, and they offer the option, just take it to the repair shop of your choice and let them work through the process with the insurance company. If you want an aftermarket bumper, take the ordering and pricing information, and see if they will work with you. The insurance company may require return to original condition, and they may allow substitution of equivalent parts.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

If they make it payable to you and the bank, it's up to you to get it fixed. You will need to contact the bank to see how they process checks like that. They may just let you deposit it in your account, and they may insist it is repaired before they endorse the check, since they have a financial interest in the vehicle.

If you're going to get it fixed, and they offer the option, just take it to the repair shop of your choice and let them work through the process with the insurance company. If you want an aftermarket bumper, take the ordering and pricing information, and see if they will work with you. The insurance company may require return to original condition, and they may allow substitution of equivalent parts.
Thanks for the info. Maybe it would be easier to just ask for a Rubicon rear bumper instead of an after market one and pay the difference. Those are steel too right ?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. Maybe it would be easier to just ask for a Rubicon rear bumper instead of an after market one and pay the difference. Those are steel too right ?
I believe the Rubicon bumper is steel, not sure, though. That would probably be the easiest route. The repair is done with a Jeep bumper, just a better option than the original. There also should not be any warranty hassle from the body shop on their work. There may be some additional parts needed to make the park sensors fit to the Rubicon bumper. There's a thread about that here somewhere.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

This whole thing is ridiculous. I just showed up at the affiliated auto body shop that Geico set me up with thinking I was going to get a real person and real estimate and all this lady did was come out and take pictures and say an adjuster will write up an estimate and send it to Geico and I should hear back from them tomorrow. Now I'm going to have to go somewhere else to get a real estimate done. Smh

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
If I go back I would of just got a used car. Now I'm stuck with a 36k loan on a brand new diminished truck that will prob never be the same. I never learn my lesson.
Obviously too late here but this is one of the reasons I've started leasing new cars/trucks. If the vehicle turns out to be a lemon, gets damaged or I just don't like it, I get to walk away after three years rather than be upside down trying to sell with a carfax. If I love it, I get to purchase at a known price with a known history. It's not for everyone but works for me...just a thought for the future...
Sponsored