Sponsored

Hit and run

• Thread starter Deleted member 30519
  • Start date
  • Watchers 13
OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

If you want aftermarket parts, you'd be better off doing it yourself. My Gladiator got rear-ended last Feburary. Two weeks ago it got bombed by golf ball hail. So, yeah, I've been dealing with body repair shops.

Modern body shops do "Insurance work only". That means if you take a vehicle there and say, "How much to paint my car/truck?", they'll just say, "Sorry, we don't do custom work".

If you have an insurance claim, the body shop will restore it to the way it was before the accident. If you ask for absolutely any variation, they don't know what you're talking about. You might as well be speaking Klingon.

If you want the bed dents repaired, I would suggest taking it an actual custom shop. You know, the kind of place where almost nobody speaks English and there are 60s Impalas with primer spots parked everywhere. They tend to do very good work for cash. Just be sure to get references. There are lot of really lousy body shops out there. You have to sift those out to find a good one.
Sorry to hear about the damages man. I hope you get it all straighten out soon. Yeah I think I'm gonna go that route and do the rear bumper and wilco tailgate myself and get the bed fixed later. My only concern now is getting the tailgate down because it's slightly wedged in and won't drop more then couple inches. Maybe once I get the bumper off I can use a pry bar underneath and see if I can do anything.
Sponsored

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn't do that since its an uninsured motorist claim. Also, are you sure that your deductible for uninsured motorist is $1000? Its usually lower than your collision deductible.
Since it's a hit and run it will be covered under collision, not uninsured motorist. There is no way to know if the driver was or was not insured since he drove off. Chances are good that he was NOT insured, but until he is found and investigated it is an unknown.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Since it's a hit and run it will be covered under collision, not uninsured motorist. There is no way to know if the driver was or was not insured since he drove off. Chances are good that he was NOT insured, but until he is found and investigated it is an unknown.
It must vary by state, or perhaps the laws have changed, because in a previous role I had to be very familiar with policies for a handful of states and if it was a hit and run and the person got away with it, it still went under uninsured/under insured.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

Can anyone give me the best advice on getting the tailgate off? It slightly overlaps from the impact. I could try to really force it down but then Id probably mess up the paint on the bed panel even more. Sounds like I might have to go underneath the bed and try to use a pry bar to bend back whatever wedged it.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Can anyone give me the best advice on getting the tailgate off? It slightly overlaps from the impact. I could try to really force it down but then Id probably mess up the paint on the bed panel even more. Sounds like I might have to go underneath the bed and try to use a pry bar to bend back whatever wedged it.
I had a similar situation with mine, trail damage from a bumper hit, but I tweaked the bedside enough that it wouldn't open. I put a block of wood in the void below the right side of the tailgate above the rear bumper and gave it a few solid whacks with a 5 lbs sledge and it opens and closes fine and has factory body lines. I used a 1x4 iirc. it chipped the paint a little bit, but you can't see it there, especially after touch up paint.

Now getting the bedside pushed backward 1/4" was a lot more difficult. That involved some backwoods ingenuity. I had a small buckle in the side and I had to get it back 1/4" to take the pressure off so much PDR friend could fix the damage. I wasn't about to let a body shop replace the bedside and repaint it when I could fix it and retain the factory bed and paint.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

Did you get your tailgate open?
I actually just did it now getting home from work. I decided to just give it a little more force and it gave way without doing any more damage but sounded like a gun shot going off at midnight. Idk how it diddnt wake the kids lol. So I have the magnum raptor bumper ordered and I really wanna get the willco tailgate but it would probably be dumb to put that stuff on before the body work because they will probably need to remove everything again to re paint the bed panel. I'm going to get a 2nd estimate Friday on my day off. Thanks for asking :like:

Jeep Gladiator Hit and run Screenshot_20200805-080526

Screenshot_20200804-202627__01.jpg

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I actually just did it now getting home from work. I decided to just give it a little more force and it gave way without doing any more damage but sounded like a gun shot going off at midnight. Idk how it diddnt wake the kids lol. So I have the magnum raptor bumper ordered and I really wanna get the willco tailgate but it would probably be dumb to put that stuff on before the body work because they will probably need to remove everything again to re paint the bed panel. I'm going to get a 2nd estimate Friday on my day off. Thanks for asking :like:

Jeep Gladiator Hit and run Screenshot_20200804-202627__01

Jeep Gladiator Hit and run Screenshot_20200804-202627__01
That's interesting that it was so loud. Yours must have been more stuck that mine. Mine would have opened, but I didn't want to force it open and damage the paint. Luckily, none of the paint on my tailgate or bed was damaged.

Clendennan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired
That's interesting that it was so loud. Yours must have been more stuck that mine. Mine would have opened, but I didn't want to force it open and damage the paint. Luckily, none of the paint on my tailgate or bed was damaged.
Im interested in that Wilco gate as well. Would you happen to know how hard it is to switcj back and forth? Id imagine im unplugging the current gate and unscrewing the mounting hardware. Looks like no electrical in the new gate.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

Im interested in that Wilco gate as well. Would you happen to know how hard it is to switcj back and forth? Id imagine im unplugging the current gate and unscrewing the mounting hardware. Looks like no electrical in the new gate.
Yeah it's seems pretty simple. I'm not sure how hard it is to swing back and forth as I only looked at the pictures. I can't find any videos on it. It sure is expensive though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

I did mess the up the paint on rear panel when I forced the tailgate down but I figured the whole side bed panel from the rear light , baseball sized ding and the ripple is gonna have to be repaired anyway so what's a little more body work at this point. So I guess I'm gonna order the willco gate today and I have the magnum bumper ordered already. I'm going to get a second estimate tomorrow on my shop of choice.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
No, I didn't remove my tailgate. I Just whacked the bottom of the bedside under the tailgate/above the rear bumper on that side with a hand held sledge onto a 1x4 until the bottom of the bedside moved over enough that the tailgate would open freely. The wood deforms and minimizes the body damage, but I did it somewhere that you can't see and no one will ever notice. Then a few more whacks till it lined up correctly. The thing with metal is it has a memory so I had to actually knock it out a little bit further than I needed it to go and it shrunk back into line. Once again, I don't think mine was tweaked as bad as yours...

My whole thing was to avoid panel replacement or repaint. Its never quite the same and I avoided an insurance claim, deductible, and diminished value.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

No, I didn't remove my tailgate. I Just whacked the bottom of the bedside under the tailgate/above the rear bumper on that side with a hand held sledge onto a 1x4 until the bottom of the bedside moved over enough that the tailgate would open freely. The wood deforms and minimizes the body damage, but I did it somewhere that you can't see and no one will ever notice. Then a few more whacks till it lined up correctly. The thing with metal is it has a memory so I had to actually knock it out a little bit further than I needed it to go and it shrunk back into line. Once again, I don't think mine was tweaked as bad as yours...

My whole thing was to avoid panel replacement or repaint. Its never quite the same and I avoided an insurance claim, deductible, and diminished value.
I think he was talking about the willco tailgate..

So my dilemma is that I pretty much need to wait to put these after market parts on until the side panel is replaced by a body shop. I get impatient.. I guess I gotta just except the fact this isn't gonna get done right away.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I think he was talking about the willco tailgate..

So my dilemma is that I pretty much need to wait to put these after market parts on until the side panel is replaced by a body shop. I get impatient.. I guess I gotta just except the fact this isn't gonna get done right away.
That tailgate is really cool. I wish there was a way that it sealed up.

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
I'm already thinking in my head on a steel bumper and maybe even a wilco spare tire tailgate. How would I arrange something like that into the claim? It's been a while since I had to do this.
I don't know if you got this answered yet... Not on my Jeep, but another vehicle: After an accident and after the body shop sent their quote to the insurance and was approved, I was able to work with the body shop to order and install a different grill only paying the difference in cost from the insurance estimate. Now adding additional items may incur some extra labor, but talk to the body shop. The shop guaranteed their own work, so we didn't bother telling insurance, and I don't think they needed to even know.
Sponsored