First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Electrician
So it happened. I got my first rock chip on the leading edge of the hood on my Jeep. Just wondering what the thoughts are on hood deflectors, yay or nay. Do they help on bugs on the windshields? I have deflectors on trucks back in the day when they were the cool thing to do (showing my age) but never on a Jeep. just wondering if they make a difference on bugs and such...
Sponsored

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
NAY, not gonna help with rock chips. Had a couple on my JK and it got busted And replaced 3 times

Last edited:

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Also considering it mainly for bugs and no ody has a clear answer.

Sponsored

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Also considering it mainly for bugs and no ody has a clear answer.
I purchased the Bushwhacker and installed it after owning my Gladiator for about 6+ months (and 8k miles). Now at 12,500 miles, I can say that the Bushwhacker provides ABSOLUTELY ZERO benefit in bug or rock deflection. But, I guess it does protect the front leading edge of the hood. Others have noted discoloration of paint (under the deflector) from having deflectors installed for several years. YMMV.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
I'd say no but only because they look shit on the JKs I have seen them on!

I had one on a ute (pick-up) too and it was a pain to wash all the leaves and mud out after a rainy day and out on the trails!

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I purchased the Bushwhacker and installed it after owning my Gladiator for about 6+ months (and 8k miles). Now at 12,500 miles, I can say that the Bushwhacker provides ABSOLUTELY ZERO benefit in bug or rock deflection. But, I guess it does protect the front leading edge of the hood. Others have noted discoloration of paint (under the deflector) from having deflectors installed for several years. YMMV.
Just installed my bushwacker before I got any chips on the leading edge. Not sure I like the look. Do you know what colors are most susceptible to discoloration? I have bright white...

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Lol what brand was it? I had the Bushwacker on my JK and it never broke.
Bushwhacker, but I was referring to the windshield, not the wind deflector.

Last edited:

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Care to expound on the firm no? I'm also on the fence and leaning. Thanks
I'll tell you one reason I'm a firm no is because on my JKU, when I did finally remove it, the paint was faded as crap and it had huge white swirls all over it. I guess if you never plan on removing it, then it would be fine. I'm not the only one I know who has removed them to find this out. Also the one on the JKU didn't do much for keeping bugs off the windshield or keeping the windshield from getting cracked.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
I wonder if there's something like the screen protector used for cell phones but larger and could be put over the windshield. Or a clear, thick window film.

Ray F.

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
I vote “no”. When I was younger, I had an older body repairman tell me to slow down and stop tail-gating. If course, being young and headstrong, it was my right to do both! :LOL:

At 51, I’ve realized that old coot was correct. I do 55-60 and stay back 4-5 car lengths. Zero chips in paint. Zero sand-blasting of windshield.

Makes me recall my dad’s lecture of “You don’t have to like the answer, son. But you’re part of the problem if you choose to ignore facts.”

I hated that one.
Sponsored