How do you negotiate?

JeepChak12

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazda Miata GT
How do you all get around not discussing your trade at first. Early on they normally ask if you have a trade.
I normally say for the right price and they don't bring it up again.

Sometimes I think it can be good to say yes you plan to trade or that your considering it, as they'll mentally factor some profit they expect from your trade, and could possibly allow a better discount on the sale. Once you get them to the price you want, then you can negotiate the trade-in if you want to. They may say your price is contingent on a trade-in if you tell them you are trading in, but it's all negotiable, and you have the upper hand because you got them to agree to a number on the sale, now you can walk out if they don't sell it for that number without the trade-in.
Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
You'll never get your best deal until you walk away a time or two, or three. Not storming out, just being calm and polite and leaving with "we're not where I need to be but thanks" etc. They'll call you within 2 days. Plan on a car buying experience taking a full week or two. That also helps relieve pressure on yourself, which will work in your favor. Having 2 or 3 dealers competing is helpful but you don't need 10 of them. Go in knowing what you want. They'll ask what price you want to make the deal: Avoid this. Don't give them a fixed number. There is no fixed number. With a trade-in, things get a little muddy (did they give you a good deal on the new vehicle but less $ for the trade-in?), but sometimes selling your current rig privately isn't practical so you need to take a closer look at what the market value is on your trade-in so you don't get screwed. Trade-in will always get you less than private sale, but time is money, and money is time... everything's a tradeoff so don't sweat it.

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I totally agree. Especially, with the latter part. I’ll spend like 20-30 minutes emailing a few dealership to get quotes. Then the rest is just texting. When everything is agree upon I tell the sales person to have my paperwork ready before I get there on our agreed upon appointment time. I send my drivers license, insurance, and registration so they can do it. When I get there it’s a quick process.
Have done that a couple times, It nice to not spend hours in a dealership.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Ive been emailing multiple dealers about vehicles on their lots and getting out-the-door pricing before going in.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Step 1: Research Car
You're making a 50k-ish purchase. It involves a great deal of due diligence to make sure you get the right price and options. Research the vehicle, research the options, Make sure you spend at least 2 weeks reading the forums for your car - or make if it's not a car with a forum. Learn the problems, learn the key options / combos. Figure out what you would want.

Step 2: Research Price
Build your vehicle. Target the options that have value to you. Determine MSRP, invoice, etc. Find ways like Access fund and Employee Pricing to get the numbers down. Understand the numbers.

Step 2: Research Dealers:
Most forums have some dealer sponsors. Some, like @spenchey (ahem, where I got my car), advertise their price. Contact them for a starting quote or quotes.
Go to your local dealers and see which ones you would like to do business with. When you find the right one, do a test drive with as close to your specs as possible. Ignore the dealer's preferred route. Tell them you are testing specific things, and that's why you're driving. If they say no, end the test drive and walk away.

Step 3: EMAIL (not phone, for the love of GOD, not in person) dealers with your spec sheet, all the freebies/deals you are entitled to. Target internet sales of some dealers that have them.

Step 4: WAIT. Wait for a few dealers to come back. Look at the lowest price all things being equal. Wait to see how interest rates are doing, what the market is doing, etc. The longer you wait the more antsy some dealers get. They'll start dropping prices or offer "special incentives." If you see cars on the lot with all of your target options and more, ask the dealers about them and emphasize the other options HAVE NO VALUE to you. Use that phrase to avoid being upsold. See what they're willing to do.

Step 5: take the best deal, not the cheapest. If a local dealer, negotiate free loaner cars, extended warranties, have them paint your house. Figure out where the best value is and pull the trigger.

TL:dr Practice delayed gratification, do your homework, and be disciplined.

Sponsored

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Cherokee, 2015 Abarth 500C
To sum up:
Do your research. Build your vehicle on the Jeep site. What is important to YOU and what isn't.
Some dealers on the forum offer % below invoice. This gives you an idea where they can go and still make a profit.
Shop your trade on the internet. Google Sell my car. Auto Nation and Carvana will give you a number. Car Max will make you bring your car in and then make you sit to wait for a number. There are others.
Check with a local credit union and bank for car loan info.
Then, with this information you go in with hard data.
Again, be ready to walk. They will ask you "what will it take to put you in this today." Don't go down that rabbit hole.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
What about after you negotiate and agree on a price. How do you handle the "dealer fees". Was looking online and my state says DMV fees are $32 and max document fee limits are $200. I'm assuming they also add in fees to get your car registered (or is that included in the $200 document fee limit) which I'd gladly pay, to save me a trip. But what would be considered a "fair" fee?

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
What tricks do you have on negotiating price, accessories, etc. How do you get a better deal than anyone else?

This doesn't necessarily apply to just JT buying but any vehicle purchase.

I am hoping to learn a few things for the next purchase and up my game.
Use Jedi mind tricks. Works evertime.

"You will sell me this JTR for $40000 OTD"

"These are not the droids you are looking for"

Detroit Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Master of Time & Space
Late to the game I know....but I always negotiate a cash price first. Then talk financing. Once the deal is done I see what they'll offer me for an outright buy on my existing ride (having already done my research on the high/low prices).

and one other option to consider....using an auto broker who makes his money from the dealer side not off you. I still comparison shop (sometimes as many as 10 dealers) but my broker has gotten me the best deal on something like 8 out of our last 9 cars. And the one that got away was a mistake the dealership made and couldn't back out of.

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Late to the game I know....but I always negotiate a cash price first. Then talk financing. Once the deal is done I see what they'll offer me for an outright buy on my existing ride (having already done my research on the high/low prices).

and one other option to consider....using an auto broker who makes his money from the dealer side not off you. I still comparison shop (sometimes as many as 10 dealers) but my broker has gotten me the best deal on something like 8 out of our last 9 cars. And the one that got away was a mistake the dealership made and couldn't back out of.

Cash offers make no difference to a dealer. If anything it is worse to them.

Detroit Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Master of Time & Space
So...what's my play if i'm not interested in financing?

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave and 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
So...what's my play if i'm not interested in financing?
Take the financing and make sure there isn't a pre payment penalty, pay off ASAP. Or wait until all the paperwork is done and agreed upon and then change your mind on the financing.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2015 Harley Tri Glide, 1928 Ford roadster pickup
When i ordered my JL.... I just said 5% under invoice... deal it or not.... found a dealer that would and ordered... wrecked it and when I was looking for a JT found a max tow demonstrator the manager had been driving.... got a great settlement on insurance.... paid vehicle for paid vehicle.... with easy mods paid for. Doubt that will ever happen again.
Sponsored