Sponsored

How long do you plan to keep this truck?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I was looking through the builds and rigs and "what did you do" threads and enjoying the general mods across the board. As I look at these, I typically think I like that but wouldn't do it, or I want to do that, or ew I'll never do that. In any of those cases, I'm evaluating against my own plans. It occurs to me as I look at some mods and I consider the maintenance costs that will go with it, that a big part of my build plans is longevity. To that end, I'm curious...

How long do you plan to keep your current truck?
Are you making mods based on that decision?

And further, what is the lift/tire size on your rig?

(Personally, I'm not interested in 37" tires and 4" lifts because they will put more wear and tear on the vehicle aside from being parts that have regular costly expenses.)

Me?

How Long - Minimum 10 years, expect more like 15 years before I change vehicles.
Mods - All "upgrades" are intended for longevity, keeping it as healthy as long as possible... bigger tires for utility without being too stressful.

Lift - No more than 1.5" lift planned with the intent of never needing to modify suspension geometry
Tires - Currently 33", no plan to go bigger than 35" but really don't want anything wider than 295mm (about 11.5")
Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I keep most of my Jeeps. I buy them with the intent to keep them. The one thing I learned in this approach is that EVERY TIME I've done a modification to my Jeep, I end up thinking "Why didn't I do this sooner?". I've missed out enjoying a modification for X amount of time so now I build them exactly how I want them immediately.

If I can't do this, I shouldn't be making the vehicle purchase to begin with; I think it's similar to dining out and the menu indicates "Market Price"; If I have to ask, I shouldn't even be considering this purchase.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
I'm torn
We just got it a week ago and love it. Great deal on an Overland buying off the lot. With that being said, it wasn't everything I wanted - which is OK because it's my wife's anyways.

Our TJs are an 04 and 05. Her's(05) has transmission issues at 175K hence the Overland purchase. Mine has 160K and I plan on running until the wheels fall off it.

I say all of this because usually my plan is to run them till there's too many issues. HOWEVER, now that we have the JT at a pretty good price, I may trade it in in two years on a Diesel with options that I want.

:ontheloo:

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I can’t say for sure. I usually say I’m going to keep a car for 10 years but never do. I usually keep them for around 6 years. Priorities and needs tend to change as my kids get older.

I’ll be keeping my mods simple. Small loft with 35s.

Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Will keep for 1-2 years. Plan on replacing when the 6.4 Hemi has been available for about a year.

Lift - none
Tires - 35s

Mods
- stubby bumper to keep weight down and allow mounting a winch
- Winch
- On board air compressor (taken off of last Jeep).
- That's it. These items will be removed and installed on the Hemi Gladiator.

Last edited:

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking through the builds and rigs and "what did you do" threads and enjoying the general mods across the board. As I look at these, I typically think I like that but wouldn't do it, or I want to do that, or ew I'll never do that. In any of those cases, I'm evaluating against my own plans. It occurs to me as I look at some mods and I consider the maintenance costs that will go with it, that a big part of my build plans is longevity. To that end, I'm curious...

How long do you plan to keep your current truck?
Are you making mods based on that decision?

And further, what is the lift/tire size on your rig?

(Personally, I'm not interested in 37" tires and 4" lifts because they will put more wear and tear on the vehicle aside from being parts that have regular costly expenses.)

Me?

How Long - Minimum 10 years, expect more like 15 years before I change vehicles.
Mods - All "upgrades" are intended for longevity, keeping it as healthy as long as possible... bigger tires for utility without being too stressful.

Lift - No more than 1.5" lift planned with the intent of never needing to modify suspension geometry
Tires - Currently 33", no plan to go bigger than 35" but really don't want anything wider than 295mm (about 11.5")
I've always been a long term owner. Get it paid for then have extra money for a while. I squeeze just about every drop. My first vehicle, a Chevy LUV, had no floor board and was over 12 years old when I got rid of it. One of my favorite vehicles, a Toyota Previa van you could get a 4x8 sheet in with the hatch closed, I had for about 230,000 miles before I traded it in and it was having no problems or really any bad rust and it was about 13 years old.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I plan to keep it for a long time. I bought one with everything I wanted since I may not buy another truck. I have no plans to lift it or put bigger tires on it. The mods I do are to enhance utility or for convenience. None of them are based on how it looks, or what others may think of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
The rest of my life.
Thats fair, and the answer I want to give... but I feel like I can't commit myself to that... cuz I plan to live another 40-50 years. =oP

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thats fair, and the answer I want to give... but I feel like I can't commit myself to that... cuz I plan to live another 40-50 years. =oP
I plan to live that long too. I’ll keep her running and I’m good shape. My other Jeep is pushing 10yrs. Ain’t going anywhere either lol

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
You make a great point. There have been many arguments about doing your mods as soon as possible so you can maximize your enjoyment. Most of us don't have the cash to do that.
But it makes sense from a time and benefits point of view.

I keep most of my Jeeps. I buy them with the intent to keep them. The one thing I learned in this approach is that EVERY TIME I've done a modification to my Jeep, I end up thinking "Why didn't I do this sooner?". I've missed out enjoying a modification for X amount of time so now I build them exactly how I want them immediately.

If I can't do this, I shouldn't be making the vehicle purchase to begin with; I think it's similar to dining out and the menu indicates "Market Price"; If I have to ask, I shouldn't even be considering this purchase.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
You make a great point. There have been many arguments about doing your mods as soon as possible so you can maximize your enjoyment. Most of us don't have the cash to do that.
But it makes sense from a time and benefits point of view.
Having cash on hand is one reason, but also... I don't know what I don't know, so I don't know what I think I need right now. My main example being, I don't know what I need to improve about my suspension today, I need to drive it as it sits for a little while.
Sponsored