Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
I'm doing some really rough math here. I'm looking at the wrangler combined MPG as a basis for how the Gladiator might be.

Assumptions:
Combined MPG: 19 on the Pentastar and 24 on the Diesel
Cost to upgrade: $4000 if you are already getting the automatic
Price per gallon: $2.18 regular and $2.42 Diesel

You would have to drive roughly 300,000 miles to save about $4,000 on fuel. You can mess around with the above assumptions, but no matter what, I think the conclusion is it's a lot of miles if you are getting it for the MPG.

EDIT:
After reading some comments, the additional range on a full tank is something I didn't think of before as a good reason to buy it. It pretty much comes down to the low end torque and the additional range. MPG can't be a good reason due to what I said above. But even with the low end torque, the 0-60 MPH is listed as the same on both engines. IDK...I'm still learning.
Sponsored

Last edited:

beefcake

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Nurse
If I were to go the diesel route it would be in order to have more available distance to travel before having to fill up the tank. This would be extremely helpful when overlanding. So, the choice for me would be how much further can I actually go on a single tank. If the answer is minimal then I would stay with the gasser.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d love to have diesel low end torque but I wanted manual. Diesel manual, Iā€™d pay the same price as an auto if they offered it and it was decent!!!

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Don't leave out the extra maintenance: regular fuel filter changes, the cost of DEF, and a long block every 75,000 miles
LOL. from what Iā€™ve read, they fixed this version of the diesel.

I wouldnā€™t buy the diesel in the gladiator for any kind of cost savings. It would be just for that torque. If it was offered when I got my gladiator, I would have thought about it. I wouldnā€™t trade mine in for one though.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The answer is 'Never'.
If you are considering a diesel because it might 'save money' I would advise you to go with a different engine. (Or buy a Corolla. )
The diesel is about power in the form of torque and that COSTS money.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
... and a long block every 75,000 miles
Funny my GC 3.0 had 125,000 trouble-free miles on it when I traded it
for a diesel Wrangler. When I get 60-70K miles on this one, I will sell it & get a diesel JT if they are still available (its what I wanted to begin with)

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Jeep Gladiator How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself image

Just took this after 75mi of city driving since fill up. I am moving from my current 15 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. Great range, MPG is pretty good (my lifetime average is a little over 28 with a good amount of towing). Zero issues and I canā€™t wait to replace it with another EcoDiesel when my Gladiator order comes in.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
You are looking at breaking even with extra cost vs the fuel saved from better mpgs, is 300k miles

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unfortunately there is no Hemi option like with the Grand Cherokee to do a closer comparison with the additional power you are getting. When I did the math with my Grand Cherokee the difference between the Hemi and diesel was <$2k for double the MPG and more torque. Comparing with the V6 on MPG alone is not a good comparison. Why is it everyone seems to love that V6 but at best it is described as adequate? FCA needs to relegate that V6 back to just minivans and bring back a high torque straight 6.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And you know it is 6k from where officially? Lots of speculation but the official numbers have only stated to slip out with the recent order guide stating it would have a 200lb greater GVWR than the max tow which makes up for half the additional engine weight. All that has been stated officially is it will be ā€˜lessā€™ than the max tow. My estimate is it will be 7200-7400 in line with the Grand Cherokee with the same engine.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Towing 7000 with a 1/4 Truck is for people with little understanding of physics
Simple fact is the towing number is just a number. Max tow is only that because of the stripped down options with the stronger axles and suspension and unless you are driving alone, weigh 150 or less with nothing else in the vehicle you will never hit that number. In the real world you will hit your axle and GCWR limits before you ever hit that number. By my calculations I max out at about 6300 with my family and gear in a Rubicon with the diesel. That however is with the actual GVWR, an estimated GCWR and only an estimate of what the curb weight will be based on it gaining 400lb over the gasser.
Sponsored