Sponsored

How much snow should be on ground before using 4x4

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
The way I was taught, so the way I do it, streets completely covered. If you can see pavement then leave in 2WD.

I also learned how to drive in a stick shift, 1 ton dually 4x4. Never touched the brakes, downshift and feather the clutch, let the engine slow you down.

This is my first 4x4 with automatic transmission AND a manual shift option, so will be learning if I can downshift and not use the brakes or not.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
I view it in a rather simple way:

The front tires have to be able to slip in order to use 4WD on these. If there's a slight dusting, but the tires still contact dry pavement, it's a no-go. Packed snow, or completely covered roads it's OK.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
4x4 doesn't make you invicible, it's true. And I think that is the point of the saying. However, it is not completely true that 4x4 does not help you stop. Since the f/r axles are locked together, being in 4x4 can actually keep your fronts from slipping on a hard stop. Check out this Oneil Rally School video for their findings.

GREAT video. I'm never too proud to say I learned something, and that was very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Please remember the going is not the hard part folks, the stopping is. 4WD does not help with that at all. I use 4WD as the front end is heavier and thus allows for more traction when accelerating. Please use care when the roads become snow covered. Far to many of us in Jeeps and 4WD trucks get bad mouthed for driving to fast for road conditions. Northern Virginia is the worst as most people here have never seen snow, let alone drive in it.

Be safe out there folks and Let it Snow, let it Snow, lett it SNOWWWWW!
Thank you for saving me from having to add "the elephant in the room" going is not the problem it's stopping. FYI another thing is temperature has critical effect on traction: 0° -25° and lower vs 30°-34° temp.

Sponsored

hayasa

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
And for those of us who have 4Auto, now you know what that exists. I'm an AWD enthusiast coming from Subarus, Audis, and AWD Jeeps and I can tell you that it has saved my but many times in a changing conditions environment. I'd be careful of putting it in 4Hi and forgetting about it once it dries up or turns to rain since that can't be good for the drivetrain.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
And for those of us who have 4Auto, now you know what that exists. I'm an AWD enthusiast coming from Subarus, Audis, and AWD Jeeps and I can tell you that it has saved my but many times in a changing conditions environment. I'd be careful of putting it in 4Hi and forgetting about it once it dries up or turns to rain since that can't be good for the drivetrain.
Don’t sweat that, you won’t forget, if you do you can feel it quickly and just shift out of it, whole vehicle feels different when it’s engaged.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This made me laugh thinking about back when I had driver's education in school much less that as a kid driving in ice and snow in mid west. My driver's education didn't get "Snow days" now some of the hairiest driving I got to do was driving in Bosnia in winter in up armor Suburban in ice no guard rails in mountains and roads not made for a suburban with switch backs. I had to put bumpers into side of mountain back and forth a bunch to make turns. "Nothing like asking your Principal to get out in case S### go's wrong and the edge gives out" with remains of vehicle's that didn't make it. (Over 3 years of doing PSD.) FYI I'm good with out driving Black Bear pass...

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Does that mean in 4H you can go faster than the 45mph? I have had my my Gladiator for over a year and have gone to 4H 3 times and all of the times I was under 40mph, because I really didn't need to be in 4H.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does that mean in 4H you can go faster than the 45mph? I have had my my Gladiator for over a year and have gone to 4H 3 times and all of the times I was under 40mph, because I really didn't need to be in 4H.
I drive a certain gravel n dirt road just to engage the 4WD (4Hi) for a few miles. I might get up to 45 MPH on it just to wear it in and to cycle T-case and front axle disconnect. I've driven a few of my Jeeps in 4Hi at 55 mph or more not long distance... Well maybe a hundred miles or so say from Bloomington IL. south to Mt. Vernon IL. in winter storms ;) one of them was "more fun" locker in front axle and Trac-Loc in rear. Interesting on ice. :giggle:

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Also helps a lot to put your transmission in neutral (manual transmission people do this already by pushing in on the clutch) when braking in slick snowy or icy conditions, especially in 2wd.
X2

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
4x4 doesn't make you invicible, it's true. And I think that is the point of the saying. However, it is not completely true that 4x4 does not help you stop. Since the f/r axles are locked together, being in 4x4 can actually keep your fronts from slipping on a hard stop. Check out this Oneil Rally School video for their findings.

He neglects to mention anti-lock brakes.
They add a whole 'nother dimension to driving in slippery conditions.

And I've shifted into/out of 2H-4H at over 45mph, and didn't have any trouble or bad noises.
If it's a matter of shifting at 45, or losing control when hitting an unexpected slick spot on the freeway, I'm shifting the darn thing!

Kevin

Last edited:

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
25 years driving in Colorado. As others have stated, if the snow is sticking to the road, it goes into 4x4. No issues. My JT is no different than any other truck I’ve owned. I‘ve also never found the need for sandbags. Of course driving sensibly also hasn’t hurt either
Sponsored