Sponsored

How to get best of both Rubicon and Mojave worlds?

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Rubi people trying to justify not buying a Mojave. LOL. Reminds me of sport people trying to justify not buying a Rubi.
Crazy, I hear ya, itā€™s like the Rubicon and the Mojave people trying to justify not buying the Max Tow šŸ˜

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Here is my take on it. I have a Rubicon. I made the deal and ordered long before the Mojave was ever announced. If I hadn't, it would have been a tough choice. I am a firm believer that the front locker is the most important for off roading, at least in my experience. These being longer the rear locker does help. The 4:1 transfer case can be a blessing and a curse. It is great in slow technical crawling, it sucks for getting wheel speed up in loose stuff. I will be honest and say that I see a lot of benefits to the Mojave and, like someone else mentioned, I would be very tempted to buy one and throw in a front locker and an anti-rock sway bar and have at it. Yes, the locker would be more expensive as far as what we are talking about but it might be the better investment. I also would go straight aftermarket like an OX if they have one out yet so it is free of the nanny Jeep software and can be engaged at will. It really comes down to what kind of terrain you will likely spend most of your time on and what you expect out of the Jeep.

I do like the Rubicon hood better tho :rock:

Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Rubi people trying to justify not buying a Mojave. LOL. Reminds me of sport people trying to justify not buying a Rubi.
Haha! Stock for stock the "Rubi people" you speak of can get to more places then your Mojave.
All you have is a smoother ride. And last I saw at three of my local dealers here in California the Mojaves were the same price as Rubicons.
Mojaves carry no more clout then Rubicons out here.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Not really -- just trying to answer the OP's question. I would never give up my front sway bar disconnect, 4 to 1 transfer case, and front locker for a Mojave. I 4wheel too much and use them a lot, we have very steep hills and mountain in the forest trails where I live. It is also nice to bomb straight in the desert with the sway bar disconnected - super nice ride - need the Rubi for that.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I've been 4 wheeling my Mojave for 9000 miles so far. There have been a few times when a lower geared transfer case would have been nice, but there are an equal number of times when not having the lower geared transfer case is nice. There have been several times I have needed the rear locker. I haven't yet found a place where I could not make it because I didn't have a front locker (this is with a 2.5" lift and 37s). I've been four wheeling for over 4 decades, and have done a lot of tough trails over the years. Many of these trails were done without having lockers at both ends, including Pritchett Canyon, in Moab. I did that trail once in a Cherokee with a 5" lift and 34" tires, but only a front locker and a rear limited slip. I did that trail another time in a Chevy 1500 with a 3" lift and 35s, and only a detroit locker in the rear and an open front diff. Both of those vehicles needed winching on the toughest obstacles. But I've done that trail several times in CJ's and Wranglers that had lockers front and rear, and also had to winch on those same obstacles.

So many people these days think you have to have lockers in both ends before even attempting a tough trail, and that is just not the case. It used to be that the emphasis was on driving ability, and choosing the correct line. Now the emphasis is on equipment, and having to have two lockers and that Rubicon sticker on the side of the hood.

However, having said all that, if I were someone that had to have two lockers before I dared tackle a tough trail, ... It would be easier to start with a Rubicon and upgrade the suspension than it would be to start with a Mojave and upgrade the front axle, transfer case, swaybar disconnect.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SubiRubi

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So just so there is no confusion.. I already own a Rubi.. That's what I wanted when I went to look for a new Jeep. I have owned 2 other Jeeps in the past. Last one was a Sport JKU with no mods other than 35's. Before that I had a TJ that I built from stock into a rock crawler, Long arm, 40's and one tons with lockers on both ends. And yes I built it myself.

Not trying to debate the whole Rubi vs. Mojave thing. Like I said they both have their advantages and disadvantages.. My question is how to improve on my Rubi to tackle any type of terrain rather it be slow rock crawling or high speed trail running with Mojave parts. Or maybe there's a better way with aftermarket parts..

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I've been seeing posts about the differences between the 2 and that they both have their good points and purposes.. But what can you do to get the best of both worlds?

If you have a Mojave you can add front locker, sway bar discos and a transfer case.. Awesome..
But if you have a Rubi can you not just add the Mojave knuckles, reservoir shocks and the Tazer Mini to use just rear locker in 2 hi and get the same thing? Rock crawling awesomeness with the dampening for high speed runs..

Reason I ask is I'm thinking of doing this but not sure what the drawbacks would be.

TIA
You cannot replicate a mojave unless youre willing to do a body off frame modification, and even then it would be half ass. A rubicon is just a sport with some parts tossed at it.

If you care about the frame tuning changes, getting a Mojave is the only way to get it. You can add a front locker if you think you need it; i added sway disconnects to mine and like it.

If you dont care about the frame changes, and just want the shocks, get a rubicon and add fox 2.5 dscā€™s with butterfly shim valves from accutune. Itll perform almost as well as the bypass system does and you can keep the elec sway/front locker if that is what is important.

It depends what features of each trim are important to you.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81ā€™ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ā€˜18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Done 50mph to 70mph on the desert / glamis and dirt roads with the rubi , 2.5ā€ Evo lift and falcon shocks . Not sure how much faster you would like to go because the steering at those speeds itā€™s not the greatest specially in the soft sand . The vid was taken last weekend to the outpost bar in glamis thatā€™s about 2 miles dirt road somewhere around 50mph
Canā€™t open it

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
You cannot replicate a mojave unless youre willing to do a body off frame modification, and even then it would be half ass. A rubicon is just a sport with some parts tossed at it.

If you care about the frame tuning changes, getting a Mojave is the only way to get it. You can add a front locker if you think you need it; i added sway disconnects to mine and like it.

If you dont care about the frame changes, and just want the shocks, get a rubicon and add fox 2.5 dscā€™s with butterfly shim valves from accutune. Itll perform almost as well as the bypass system does and you can keep the elec sway/front locker if that is what is important.

It depends what features of each trim are important to you.
Do you know what is actually different in the Mojaveā€™s frame?
Iā€™ve tried searching and canā€™t seem to find anything definitive.

We are in trouble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Can't wait for your Mojave "full send" video.
You have the perfect user name for it. šŸ˜†

Haha! Nope. Been wheelin on the rocks for 35 years, you'll see me on the same trails as yourself. However I wont be slowing everyone else down anymore just getting to the trail head. This time I'm building a more of an all purpose rig. I'll put my Mojave anywhere you will put yours. I may use more brake and not look as pretty as you but I don't have to come to a stop for a little speed bump or rutt anymore. But props for your comment, that was funny as hell!
Sponsored